Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #201
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 24,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I hope to someday get that close to a moose.
From what I've read, such encounters often do not end well.

I think I'll take any moose photos with a telephoto 500mm or longer.
__________________
When I was a kid I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 03:44 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
From what I've read, such encounters often do not end well.

I think I'll take any moose photos with a telephoto 500mm or longer.
You got that right!! We have had issues with moose elk hunting. I had a cow and calf living in the willows one spring and you never trust them. Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #203
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
Posts: 15,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for posting!! I hope to someday get that close to a moose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
From what I've read, such encounters often do not end well.

I think I'll take any moose photos with a telephoto 500mm or longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
You got that right!! We have had issues with moose elk hunting. I had a cow and calf living in the willows one spring and you never trust them. Lol
I don't plan to get close. 600mm will work fine. I've taken some cow moose shots in Denali at 600mm that needed about 80% crop. I was about 100 yds away, taken from the road. DW was yelling not to get closer.

Looking at getting a little closer than that in Glacier this summer. but not closer than 50 yards.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:17 PM   #204
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
skyking1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 2,320
I assisted one of the service techs, pulling in a replacement water pipe with a cable system. He fed the cable in after he cut the pipe in the crawlspace and then we pulled in a new pex line while we pulled out the old copper, gate valve, and poly pipe.
The gate valve gave me some trouble till the bonnet came off.
The business end. You thread install a male adapter on the pex and thread it into that wedge. It is designed to split a pipe but it rarely does, it just drags it along.


Not much room to work, we got about 3' per pull. I positioned so I could not kidney punch the siding if it went quickly.


All those 3' pieces still threaded through with the cable.


Job is done, under two sidewalks and through the basement wall without digging it all up and cutting concrete.


__________________
Class of 2023
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:18 PM   #205
Moderator
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 22,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for posting!! I hope to someday get that close to a moose.
You may want to rethink that.
My one moose encounter was 50 years ago in the north woods of Maine. I was driving a government station wagon with 5 or 6 passengers, it was late at night and we really wanted to get where we were going so we could get some sleep. For that reason, I was probably driving faster than I should have.

Deep in the woods on a country road, the moose suddenly appeared as we went around a curve. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could, and we fishtailed, winding up sideways on the shoulder. The moose casually continued crossing the road. One of the guys in the car swore he was going to put in a claim on his travel voucher for new underwear.

We still had at least 100 miles to go, but nobody complained when I reduced our speed to a more cautious level.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #206
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 20,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It was 50 degrees and sunny this afternoon, so the young wife and I went out for a walk. We saw a pair of bald eagles in the tree across the street from our house. I don't know if they were nest shopping or not. It would be a good spot for it, but there are several other possible locations in the immediate area of the harbor. I would be happy if they did stay there, so that we could just sit on our porch and watch them.
Well, it appears that our street did not make the final cut. The eagles have started building their nest in a tree on the grounds of the private girls' high school about 4 blocks away.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:15 PM   #207
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
Posts: 15,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You may want to rethink that.
My one moose encounter was 50 years ago in the north woods of Maine. I was driving a government station wagon with 5 or 6 passengers, it was late at night and we really wanted to get where we were going so we could get some sleep. For that reason, I was probably driving faster than I should have.

Deep in the woods on a country road, the moose suddenly appeared as we went around a curve. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could, and we fishtailed, winding up sideways on the shoulder. The moose casually continued crossing the road. One of the guys in the car swore he was going to put in a claim on his travel voucher for new underwear.

We still had at least 100 miles to go, but nobody complained when I reduced our speed to a more cautious level.

Wow - quite a ride! I should be safer since I'll be on foot, and the moose should be in a lake. And I'll have my trusty Buck knife for protection.

Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:32 PM   #208
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 8,932
If I want to see a moose up close I watch rocky & bullwinkle -
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:28 AM   #209
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wow - quite a ride! I should be safer since I'll be on foot, and the moose should be in a lake. And I'll have my trusty Buck knife for protection.

LOL! I like that.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #210
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 20,509
We had our coldest night of the winter last night, with the air temperature at -4 F. and a wind chill of - 20 F. Minor pipe freeze on our downstairs powder room sink, which sits against the outside wall, but that was easily remedied with the hair dryer. It is supposed to be back to the 40s by tomorrow afternoon.

It could have been worse. On Mt. Washington in New Hampshire at 4:30am this morning, it was -46.8 F. , with wind speeds of 90 mph, for a wind chill of -108 F.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:09 AM   #211
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dash man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 5,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We had our coldest night of the winter last night, with the air temperature at -4 F. and a wind chill of - 20 F. Minor pipe freeze on our downstairs powder room sink, which sits against the outside wall, but that was easily remedied with the hair dryer. It is supposed to be back to the 40s by tomorrow afternoon.



It could have been worse. On Mt. Washington in New Hampshire at 4:30am this morning, it was -46.8 F. , with wind speeds of 90 mph, for a wind chill of -108 F.

We have it a bit cool today too. Itís 74 degrees but feels like 70. Winds are 20-30 kts and surf 6-12 feet. Clouds are keeping the sun hidden today.
Rough day in SE Florida.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:16 AM   #212
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7,793
^^ You two are sissies! Lol

That would be just another Friday here, at times. Forties here today and beautiful.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #213
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 8,932
Fan installed and wires stapled to rafters. There is a 12000 lumen LED light up there too. Lights up the whole space so easy to work.



The fan intake is just right of the attic access. The ladder makes access easy. Eight and a half foot telescoping unit rated 1A, 330 pounds. In addition I have it on hooks at the top so it can't slide back or side to side. Very safe.



Still need to finish up the flooring up there and then we'll have an additional 64 sq-ft of storage space The access is also going to have a second barrier at ceiling level with a trim molding to make it pretty as well as double insulated.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:39 PM   #214
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
skyking1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 2,320
looks handy Robbie.
__________________
Class of 2023
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #215
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 8,932
Thanks!

Wifey wouldn't let me get started until after Christmas, didn't want any mess. This was an easy project to "stage"

First get some floorboards up there to put stuff on and keep from falling through the ceiling. Then lighting followed by the ladder. This was the first time I've been all the way in the attic as a 6 foot step ladder did not feel safe. Then I made the inner block off to keep the house warm followed by cutting the hole for the intake and finally install the fan and the flex duct.

Not to mention need to wait for overcast days to be in the attic for any length of time. The sun will hot box the space even though the temp outside is 50. That's the beauty of the whole house fan, not only draws cool air through the house but also exhausts the hot air in the attic.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:15 PM   #216
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,430
This very cold day inspired me to fire up my oven - baked pineapple muffins this morning (pineapple desserts always seem to go with winter), and right now I'm slow-braising a pot roast. Thought about the instant pot or a slow cooker, but why not have the oven assist in warming up the house?
__________________
FIRED:
July 12, 2018. On safari to stay!
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:26 PM   #217
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 16,884
Now that the kids and relatives have had a chance to go through DW's clothes closet(s) and take anything they feel they can use or wear, I spent the morning filling boxes with slacks, blouses, sweaters, etc to donate to the Montgomery County Women's Center for eventual resale.

The raised funds are used to assist/care for battered women in the County.

I have a long way to go as she had clothes going back decades. And the shoes kept in original boxes.....
__________________
Now a widower and wondering what the rest of my life has in store for me?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:27 PM   #218
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 24,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I have a long way to go as she had clothes going back decades. And the shoes kept in original boxes.....
You can be assured that someone, somewhere, will be glad to have them.
__________________
When I was a kid I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #219
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Now that the kids and relatives have had a chance to go through DW's clothes closet(s) and take anything they feel they can use or wear, I spent the morning filling boxes with slacks, blouses, sweaters, etc to donate to the Montgomery County Women's Center for eventual resale.

The raised funds are used to assist/care for battered women in the County.

I have a long way to go as she had clothes going back decades. And the shoes kept in original boxes.....

That's a hard job filled with a lot of emotions. Kudos to you for making it through.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:06 PM   #220
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 16,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
That's a hard job filled with a lot of emotions. Kudos to you for making it through.
Thanks, I was going to do more packing today, but I need a day or two away from this.
__________________
Now a widower and wondering what the rest of my life has in store for me?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 11 (0 members and 11 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you do today? 2017 version Gumby Life after FIRE 3425 12-31-2017 07:35 PM
What did you do today? 2016 version Huston55 Life after FIRE 2576 01-01-2017 05:54 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.