Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2023, 10:43 AM   #541
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I can tell you from sad personal experience that drinking beer all night is not carbo loading for a road race the next day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 12:06 PM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
A rare shop accident - angle grinder got caught in my shirt. ripped shirt and minor abrasion to my gut.<snip>
Angle grinders are scary tools when they get away from you. Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

Yikes!:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=ima...resdefault.jpg
Old 03-24-2023, 05:31 PM   #543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mowed the side yard, then started the back, but decided to switch to another job.

Instead, I dug a shallow drain about 60 feet long near the back edge of our yard to drain a swampy area that appears to be killing a small tree nearby. It may be too late for the tree, but we'll see. The area needs shrubbery or low trees to block the neighbor's headlights into our family room in any case. Once the area dries out enough to stand in it comfortably, I'll bury a French drain along the same route.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:38 PM   #544
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Angle grinders are scary tools when they get away from you. Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

Yikes!:

Luckily I was using a wire brush wheel instead of a cutting wheel like that guy.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:41 PM   #545
Administrator

The young wife and I donated blood and then went to lunch at a nice little place we haven't visited in a while. We had an afternoon nap when we got home.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #546
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Yikes!:

SCARY! One should set the speed to the lowest that gets the job done.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:58 PM   #547
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Luckily I was using a wire brush wheel instead of a cutting wheel like that guy.
True!!! I use a angle grinder often and of course has it locked in to run without the trigger holding it on.

That would really be bad if things went south with locked to run. Glad all went well and no major injury.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:36 PM   #548

I met with some of the city planners and got a drawing made for the driveway, and feel confident that we are good to move forward.
I met with a builder/designer who is going to put my drawings into CAD and do a plan review.
The city was good with my hand drawn designs, but I was certain to catch a fair number of red lines on my drawings, due to me not being an experienced, current builder.
I figure it is not much money for some peace of mind, getting a review of my design and polishing it all up.
He will also come out and help with some of the more complex walls, like the rake walls and a 23' tall balloon rake wall that I will put up with the forklift.
I was trying to build that floor-by-floor, and it is just not as neat and elegant as a balloon in this case.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:11 AM   #549
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
True!!! I use a angle grinder often and of course has it locked in to run without the trigger holding it on.

That would really be bad if things went south with locked to run. Glad all went well and no major injury.
I did have it locked to run. But it got so tangled in my shirt that it stopped turning while the power was still on. And my shirt was wrapped around the power switch so I couldn't turn it off. So I unplugged it.

Today felled the first 2 trees of my defoliation project. Without incident. Good field test of my new Ego 16" electric chain saw. Nice that it doesn't need to be rope pulled to start, but doesn't have nearly the power of my 16" Stihl gas powered. But I'll use the Ego in the future on small trees and limb cleanup.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:57 AM   #550
Give me a forum ...

A bit of snow again today, but melting fast. Heading out for brunch with my siblings.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:31 AM   #551
Give me a forum ...

Great all went well Ronstar.

Haven't been doing much but some afternoon hikes and spending time at the ranch. I have been removing tin off of an old homestead roof to reuse on some projects at the ranch. So much I want to do this year I hope I can get it done.

Since it is officially spring, I can say I had my first spring picnic of the year yesterday. A beautiful spring day and on my way home the cricks were running hard. The snow melts and then we get a little more snow and that has been the way it has gone this last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1242.jpg (93.7 KB, 69 views)
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:37 PM   #552
Moderator Emeritus

^^ That's a great looking spot for a picnic!
Old 03-26-2023, 07:28 AM   #553
Full time employment: Posting here.

Left the house way to early (I think my favorite thing about being retired is our long, slow, two hour wakeups, while we drink coffee, chat, and read online) at 6:45am for a meetup with a local group of hikers that are also heading out to walk across Spain this year. The 8 mile walk was through rolling hills back in our old town, so it felt very nostalgic, plus I bumped into an old friend while we were on the trail.

After we dropped in to our favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch, also back near our old town, so it was a real treat. Home from there to shower and then watch a painfully bad movie on Netflix- - The Red Sea Diving Resort- in preparation for an upcoming foreign film meetup to discuss over dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant in LA. The film was American made, about an Ethiopian refugee rescue effort conducted by Israelis, and it lacked any cultural nuances as a result. Grrr- someone in our group missed the point about the difference between a foreign film vs simply a foreign topic.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #554

Nice day out today, so went for a ride. Sometime this summer must go white water rafting, the river is raging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230327_124638.jpg (1.05 MB, 56 views)
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:02 PM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Nice day out today, so went for a ride. Sometime this summer must go white water rafting, the river is raging.
DW drove through there this November while I took pictures. The water was MUCH lower

Old 03-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #556

Nice shot.

We moved here in November so have had a good look at the transformation of the lake and river. Not to mention the shift from brown to green in the hills and mountains.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:21 PM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Chopped down a weed in the middle of a bush that had grown into a tree, then chopped up the branches into sizes suitable for our recycling center. Tomorrow I will work on chainsawing the trunk into manageable pieces.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:02 PM   #558

Took my son to soccer practice. I was sore from cutting down 5 trees yesterday, so I took it easy today. Took a little nap or what I like to call "practicing retirement" since I am still on the clock for another decade.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:20 AM   #559

I worked on the house drawing some more and shipped several sheets off to the draftsman.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:49 PM   #560
Give me a forum ...

Took one car in for service, went the long way home and stopped at Trader Joes.
Came home, had some coffee and balanced the check book!