Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2023, 09:20 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Accompanying DH to his follow up from his ER visit a month ago.
He had this appt scheduled prior, and has been doing fine, so did not want to go to the dr twice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2023, 09:28 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Dang, 3 days without power! Not a good way to start the New Year.

I am so spoiled now, 3 days without power would drive me insane.
Some people were without power for 6 days. Luckily it’s warmed up enough that instead of snow we are getting rain. The snow was so heavy and wet that it took down power lines and big trees. 70k were without power.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Some people were without power for 6 days. Luckily it’s warmed up enough that instead of snow we are getting rain. The snow was so heavy and wet that it took down power lines and big trees. 70k were without power.
That does happen in rural settings where I live at also. One day to six days with heavy snow ice and wind is a bad combination.

Usually when those occur here the weather is just at freezing, or above freezing so not as bad as it could be.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:24 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Street, I live right in town so was surprised. My chiropractic has patients that work for NV Energy and they told him since buffet bought it routine maintenance is no longer done. Ugh!!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Street, I live right in town so was surprised. My chiropractic has patients that work for NV Energy and they told him since buffet bought it routine maintenance is no longer done. Ugh!!
Interesting! I have seen and repeatedly heard stated from others in the cooperate world. Since he has bought out industries the same thing has happened to those business decisions as well.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:32 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Did some organizing, ordered stuff from Amazon, visited a friend's pole barn man cave, swapped out the oem antenna on my Jeep for a stubby one (car wash issue with the oem), and had a seborrheic keratosis removed from my face.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:36 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

My deceased wife's twin daughters came by today and started the process of removing her clothing and other items they want as keepsakes. It's going to take several visits to get through this process as my wife had items she saved from the time the kids were born (1960's).
Old 01-06-2023, 03:01 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My deceased wife's twin daughters came by today and started the process of removing her clothing and other items they want as keepsakes. It's going to take several visits to get through this process as my wife had items she saved from the time the kids were born (1960's).
That’s bittersweet. It’s good it’s being done by those that care. I did that with my dad's things, it was a relief for my mother.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's awful.

I looked at the PG&E outage map, and many people in northern CA are still without power due to downed power lines. When utility crews are overwhelmed like this, it may take a long time to get your power. More the reason to have your own backup power source.

Northern CA outage map: https://pgealerts.alerts.pge.com/outagecenter/

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:07 AM   #50

Sigh. It was too good to last. I moved the snow blower back from the shed to the garage in anticipation of the whole inch of snow we're forecast for tomorrow night into Monday. DW has also given up and says leave it there until the end of March.

It fits okay in the garage but it makes it a bit awkward for someone to get into the front passenger seat on the car. I guess we'll just live with it until then. My back issues make it painful for me to shovel even ridiculously tiny amounts of snow, but the 245 lb. self-propelled snow blower with a differential on the axle causes no issue at all. Go figure.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:37 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

DGS, age 7, and DS arrived unexpectedly for lunch. DGS had a kids basketball game nearby.
Luckily, we had just bought some deli Turkey--his favorite for a sandwich!
Old 01-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sigh. It was too good to last. I moved the snow blower back from the shed to the garage in anticipation of the whole inch of snow we're forecast for tomorrow night into Monday. DW has also given up and says leave it there until the end of March.

It fits okay in the garage but it makes it a bit awkward for someone to get into the front passenger seat on the car. I guess we'll just live with it until then. My back issues make it painful for me to shovel even ridiculously tiny amounts of snow, but the 245 lb. self-propelled snow blower with a differential on the axle causes no issue at all. Go figure.
Am living dangerously, my snow blower is still in the shed.
Was at favorite coffe shop, a young fellow (member of the usual suspects club) talked about reading of the early moon landing, way back when. Marveled at the the miniscule computer processing power and memory of the moon lander. Comapring it to the even cheapest portable phones.
He never heard of assembly language, in which the programs were written.
Yep, those were the days......
Old 01-07-2023, 01:09 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I went to a cooking class that DS and DD-in-law gave us gift certificates to for Christmas. There were two other couples and the owner. We had a lot of fun and plenty of food to eat. It turned out that the owner was same age as me and was retired 20 years from the Air Force. His DW retired after 22 years as a Colonel, but he said that she did not want any part of his company. We actually did the cooking class last night.

I called DD and asked her if we could have our 3 grandkids for a sleepover tonight, so they will be coming over shortly.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:09 PM   #54

Took the bin where we collect papers to the shredder today. There’s a local company that handles document destruction that has a shred day on the first Saturday of every month. It cost $7 for up to 300 pounds. The money is a donation to their charity. I don’t know what 300 pounds of paper looks like, but I fill a bin throughout the year and it’s about all I can do to lift it so it’s probably about 75 pounds. There’s been years where we took more than one bin, but now we’re pretty well cleaned out (up to date) on our paperwork. There are free shred days around here, but I like this one because it’s right at the warehouse and they’ll let you watch it being thrown into the shredder. I don’t do that any more, but it was fun to watch the first couple of times.

Then my DD called and asked me to dog sit while her and the grandkids went shopping. They had some stuff to return that didn’t workout for Christmas. Her dog is a good dog so I don’t mind, though I’d have rather been watching the grandkids - especially the youngest one. She’s a hoot.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:58 PM   #55

Today I replaced (upgraded) the kitchen faucet. DH used to do all of this kind of chore, but due to age he has trouble getting under the sink. I’m younger and still nimble enough to wiggle in there. So far no leaks…
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #56
Administrator

Took REWahoo’s advice and got 4 new tires for DW’s car.

Business is great for the tire shop, while I waited for them to mount the tires they turned away a dozen people without appointments.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:43 AM   #57

Spent the day cutting, drilling, sanding, finishing and generally ruining perfectly good pieces of wood. Now I have a small and simple workbench in the garage. Now on to making small stairs for the old cat to use.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:42 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Spent the day cutting, drilling, sanding, finishing and generally ruining perfectly good pieces of wood. Now I have a small and simple workbench in the garage. Now on to making small stairs for the old cat to use.

Cheers!
Excellent way to spend the day! But this is just the beginning.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:22 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Excellent way to spend the day! But this is just the beginning.
I was afraid of that.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:56 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Expecting the whole extended family today for belated Christmas--if all arrive as planned, will have 27 here this afternoon.