Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2023, 07:23 PM   #161

Shoveled some snow. It wasn't bad, but I should have got to it yesterday because the under layer melted a bit and froze overnight. Thankfully, I shoveled the top layer off and the bit of sun we had today got rid of the thin ice layer that I couldn't shovel. Then, as if that wasn't enough fun, I started my taxes. I got pretty far, but two of the brokerage statements I want to enter by downloading them are not ready yet. Either way, I was able to tell that my year end estimate is holding and I will not have any underpayment penalty. It looks like a very small refund that I will just roll forward to next year. Perfect.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2023, 06:36 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday we met our newborn grandson. DH isn’t comfortable holding a newborn so I got all of the cuddle time. It worked out well; we spent the morning giving all of our attention to his 2yr old brother and cuddled baby while big brother napped.

We just got word this morning that DD2 is on her way to the hospital to deliver her first baby. It’s kind of funny, because a few days ago when DD was expressing her impatience I told her that the baby would be born today during the Eagles game. (DD and DSIL are big Eagles fans).
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:02 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Philliefan33--what a perfect day for you!

We had a nice dinner out last evening with some friends. Lots of laughter and too much food--still feel full this morning!
Today will be spent with DGS, age 3. Fun age.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:56 AM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mountain bike race today. Had a mechanical issue with my vintage bike (wouldn’t shift properly) and a finish at 5th place. Might have improved a couple places but wouldn’t have made better than 3rd anyway today. Couple of strong 20-something guys showed up and sandbagged in our class so no way I was going to get anything better than 3rd even if I could shift when needed.

I really “need” to BTD and upgrade to a modern carbon fiber bike with carbon fiber wheels, electronic shifting and modern gearing!
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:52 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post

I really “need” to BTD and upgrade to a modern carbon fiber bike with carbon fiber wheels, electronic shifting and modern gearing!

Yes you do. The correct number of bikes is n+1
Old 01-29-2023, 12:53 PM   #166
Full time employment: Posting here.

A very windy day. So I stayed in and watched the sea go white. And a few ships go by. No pleasure boats today! Later I shared dinner with a couple of friends. After they left I did some online banking - and I'm still on the computer. I can still hear the wind howling outside my office.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:48 PM   #167

Went with DW over to SIL's house to see them and DW's niece and her three kids, ages 8, 6, and 18 months. Nice relaxing Sunday afternoon. Well, as much as one can relax with three active kids in the house on a cold rainy afternoon. But it was still a good day.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:08 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Yesterday we met our newborn grandson. DH isn’t comfortable holding a newborn so I got all of the cuddle time. It worked out well; we spent the morning giving all of our attention to his 2yr old brother and cuddled baby while big brother napped.

We just got word this morning that DD2 is on her way to the hospital to deliver her first baby. It’s kind of funny, because a few days ago when DD was expressing her impatience I told her that the baby would be born today during the Eagles game. (DD and DSIL are big Eagles fans).
WOW!!! So exciting and can't imagine the feeling meeting for the first time. Very happy for the both of you!!

In the next three weeks I will experience that same feeling. We have our first grandchild coming. It will be a girl and am excited as all get out!!! Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:39 PM   #169

Quote:

How very exciting! Congratulations on the new arrivals!
Old 01-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #170
Administrator

It was 50 degrees and sunny this afternoon, so the young wife and I went out for a walk. We saw a pair of bald eagles in the tree across the street from our house. I don't know if they were nest shopping or not. It would be a good spot for it, but there are several other possible locations in the immediate area of the harbor. I would be happy if they did stay there, so that we could just sit on our porch and watch them.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:36 PM   #171

Finished up the income tax when the last 1099 came in today's mail. I'll probably still wait a week or two before filing just to make sure I didn't forget anything. This may set a new record for me being done so soon with it.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

What I did today (wild, maniacal laugh)

Sorry if TMI - - Last night, post-nasal drip/phlegm from my sinuses was nearly smothering me and I could hardly breathe for all the coughing this caused. So, I was trying to pour myself a cup of water to wash all that junk away before things got worse. In the middle of pouring it, I got a huge coughing fit and hit my wrist on something, and ended up pouring a QUART of water directly into the keyboard of my high end Dell laptop computer.

Apparently the laptop no longer can be controlled directly by a keyboard or mouse, and who knows what other damage occurred. I wiped up a cup or two of water that dripped out of the keys and various ports when I put it on its side. Finally Frank got it somewhat dried out using his inborn male techie skills and electric heat gun or something (who knows what, my mind is as fried as my laptop right now). Then, with the use of an external keyboard and mouse, I managed to do one last backup onto an external hard drive.

Luckily I had a spare laptop that I bought for Frank to use when he is over here. I had never used it at all before, and he didn't have anything on it that he needs. So, after determining that, I have been configuring it to my preferences (i can buy another one as soon as I can think straight, which means not at this exact moment ).

BTW anybody who steals a laptop in 2023 is a bleeping fool, because without a bazillion unique usernames and strong passwords, and two factor authentication, and infinite time and patience, said stolen laptop is essentially a six ton boulder and useless.

At least I am finally back on the internet and can log in to a few of my favorite sites.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:55 PM   #173

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Hope that your sinuses clear and glad that you are back online.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
social pace?
Old 01-30-2023, 03:06 PM   #174
Dryer sheet aficionado

social pace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Went on a bike ride run out of our local bike shop. Pace was advertised as “social”, meaning something in the 17-19 mph range.
Wow I thought a social pace ride was like 10-12 mph. Maybe ride 10 miles and go out to lunch kind of ride. That's what I am looking for.
BH58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:07 PM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Hope that your sinuses clear and glad that you are back online.
Thanks! It's 75F outside, with 80% humidity and more rain predicted; everything is blooming so my sinuses are still bugging me.

I am glad to be back online, too. This morning I managed to download and print some tax forms (1099s and so on) that I will need for doing my taxes, so that was a big relief to me, as well.

Edited to add: Got a new 17" Dell laptop ordered so I must be feeling better. It really helped to vent a bit; thanks, everyone.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:58 PM   #176

Update from yesterday - it’s a girl! Unfortunately we won’t get to meet her until March (we are spending February in FL) but we can have double snuggles then.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:30 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday went to memorial service for a friend. Passed at 69 years old. Then went to a friend's house for his annual football party. 10-15 guys including a former NFL player about my age. The hits have taken a toll on him. Gave me more of a sense that we have to live life to its fullest now because you never know when you won't be able to.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:31 PM   #178
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Update from yesterday - it’s a girl! Unfortunately we won’t get to meet her until March (we are spending February in FL) but we can have double snuggles then.
Congrats!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 PM   #179

I picked up a rental mini excavator to do a job inside a museum with polished concrete floors. I had ripped some 1' strips of OSB to walk on.
I got that dug out and the machine returned by 2.
Now I'm watching the Rockford Files while my sister sleeps.
We have set up a schedule and are taking shifts to stay with her around the clock now, us siblings and nieces and nephews.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:51 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Replaced the sticky lock set on the front door of the house and had the garage lock re-keyed to match the front. No more 2 keys!

Mounted the second attic access block panel and the "winter project" is drawing to a close.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote