Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2023, 04:51 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The young wife and I went to the animal shelter and came home with two new cats. We'd been without feline companionship since early October, and the house just didn't feel right that way.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 01:51 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

up at 2 something am after hearing "beep beep beep".
Checked, removed and replaced batteries from every fire alarm.
still beeping
Finally realized it was one of the CO detectors! Had a moment of panic, thinking we needed to get outside, until I saw "END" on the readout. Spent time reading the fine print on the back to figure out how/where to push the metal pin in to silence it. Tossed it in the garbage.

They are life saving necessities but jeeze, why does this happen while sleeping?

Off to the store to purchase a new one.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:23 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

I had a plumber come over to plug the gas line on the stove. Monday, an induction is going in. No more problems with me turning the gas on at 2AM. When asked what he wanted for the work, he said, "Nothing, I'll catch you next time."

Ace called and said they're bringing the new snowblower this afternoon. Had a discussion about fuel and had to go get some non-ethenol downtown. It was snowing pretty well. The roads were plowed, but you can not see what's road vs. ditch(see attached, I was stopped). The dog and I just went 20mph all the way. When I pulled in, there were a couple of guys in a pickup pulling a snowmobile trailer, and one was just cutting up big time. I suggested I wanted a day like he was having. "Oh no, buddy, my days sh!t wanna hear?" He had started the pickup next to his FOB and left it behind. When he turned it off to get fuel, no go. I was going back where they came from and offered a ride; before they got my can full somehow, they got it started.

After Ace delivered the new machine, I got the next 4" of fresh snow up and cut the access to the road wider. It is kind of difficult as the ditch is 4 feet deep on the sides, and the snowbank is well over 6 feet tall. It would be wonderful if I knew where the ditch is as all reference points are gone, and I have no desire to drop into it.

The machine is going to take some time to get used to. It's a powerful beast with some nice features like power steering that saves me from trying to hoss it around. Whoever designed the chute controls is a sadistic sob. 20230120_165044.jpg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:34 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went on a bike ride run out of our local bike shop. Pace was advertised as “social”, meaning something in the 17-19 mph range. As expected that social pace ramped up into the low 20 mph range after everyone got warmed up. I hung on for a long time, but got dropped on a climb. Enjoyed my solo slower pace ride back to the shop. Total was 40 miles in a little under 2 hrs.

Hit the gym after for intervals on the eliptical and time in the jacuzzi.

No bike races this weekend, but have a doubleheader next weekend, racing both Saturday and Sunday.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:23 PM   #125

Took a ride up Kern River Hwy aka Mtn 99 to admire the scenery.
And think I need an OHV, fishing gear, hiking stuff. There is a lot to do outdoors here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230122_121422.jpg (1.01 MB, 65 views)
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Took a ride up Kern River Hwy aka Mtn 99 to admire the scenery.
And think I need an OHV, fishing gear, hiking stuff. There is a lot to do outdoors here.
Yes beautiful!! Some fly fishing and hiking will cure anything. What a great day.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:14 PM   #127

The big event of the day was driving down to Home Depot and buying some 1/4 inch copper tubing and fittings to replace the plastic tubing that keeps springing pinhole leaks. This is the tubing that feeds water to the refrigerator icemaker. It got so bad that I put a water leak detector behind the refrigerator where the water puddles first.

Now I have to decide when to actually install this. As with many maintenance tasks, overcoming inertia is going to be the hardest part.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:16 PM   #128
Administrator

I have spent many hours wading through thickets of virtual records seeking to track down a small group of my ancestors who lived up and down the coast of Yorkshire and Durham in England (from Hull to Hartlepool) during the 19th century. It did not help that the one most important family came to the US, returned to England, then came back to the US 12 years after the first attempt. An interesting story, but a difficult one to untangle based on the records alone 150 years later. I can't imagine trying this without a computer.

I also took a short nap with my new kittens, who now have the run of house after escaping from the kitchen last night. We were trying to expand their horizons gradually to avoid alarming them. But the sudden increase in range apparently has not bothered them in the least. They're still upstairs on the bed.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:38 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
........ As with many maintenance tasks, overcoming inertia is going to be the hardest part.

No doubt. It is far easier to motivate for the fun stuff. Like yesterday.

Talked to the insurance agent and dug up some documents.
Went to grocery stores. Got a pound of "irregular" bacon slices for $4.
Put up some solar power exterior security lights.
Still running a load of laundry.

Sounds like Gumbys cats are making themselves at home and taking over the joint.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:27 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

A day at home working on shallow well hand pump. Made some gaskets from an innertube and worked on a part I had to make for handle support when in operating it. Went and got a coupler and will need to thread one end of 7/16th rod. Then should be ready for use in the spring.

Went for a walk and enjoyed the great day. Melting and water standing all over today.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The big event of the day was driving down to Home Depot and buying some 1/4 inch copper tubing and fittings to replace the plastic tubing that keeps springing pinhole leaks. This is the tubing that feeds water to the refrigerator icemaker. It got so bad that I put a water leak detector behind the refrigerator where the water puddles first.

Now I have to decide when to actually install this. As with many maintenance tasks, overcoming inertia is going to be the hardest part.
I'm not singling you out, but I've seen repeated threads about failing ice makers on refrigerators. I don't know why people keep buying fridges with one part that has such a high failure rate.

It's not like making ice is hard or a time consuming chore.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Our experience is different. We've had two different refrigerators with ice and water dispenser and have only had one problem. It was shortly after we got the fridge and their solution was to replace the door... that fixed it.

The convenience of cold water and ice is worth the risk to us.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:01 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Went hiking in search of some eagles. Didn't find any, but stopped to do a little whittling.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:12 AM   #134

This morning we welcomed a new grandchild to the family, but not the one we expected this week. The grandson born this morning wasn't due until 2/8 but he had other plans. Mom & baby are doing fine. We will go meet him and give attention to his brother on Saturday.

The other grandchild is due Saturday. Hopefully he/she comes in time for us to meet before we head to Florida for a month.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Cut a hole in the ceiling and installed the Quiet Cool intake damper box and the grill. The fan unit with the flex duct is up in the attic ready to go. Today I'll wire the RF wireless remote control hub on the fan, test and mount. Will be ready for the summer!

Then I'll finish up the last pieces of OSB flooring and the second panel covering the access hole.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:21 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Cut a hole in the ceiling and installed the Quiet Cool intake damper box and the grill. The fan unit with the flex duct is up in the attic ready to go. Today I'll wire the RF wireless remote control hub on the fan, test and mount. Will be ready for the summer!

Then I'll finish up the last pieces of OSB flooring and the second panel covering the access hole.
his working being done on the ship?
Old 01-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went hiking in search of some eagles. Didn't find any, but stopped to do a little whittling.
Beautiful knife!! It looks like the beaver helped you with your whittling project. Lol

I need to get out and hike back in to see the eagles are getting nest ready. So much snow up high will have to see what I can see from down below.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:34 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Beautiful knife!! It looks like the beaver helped you with your whittling project. Lol

I need to get out and hike back in to see the eagles are getting nest ready. So much snow up high will have to see what I can see from down below.
Yeah, I don't see any wood chips either and no blood.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:06 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yeah, I don't see any wood chips either and no blood.
LOL!!! Yep, no battle wounds in sight.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'm not singling you out, but I've seen repeated threads about failing ice makers on refrigerators. I don't know why people keep buying fridges with one part that has such a high failure rate.

It's not like making ice is hard or a time consuming chore.
I haven't purchased a refrigerator for 20+ years (this one came with the house) but they were pretty much standard when I was fixing them for Sears 50 years ago. Only the lowest of the low-end refrigerators came without an ice maker even then. You're right though, it's not that making ice is hard.

But at least here, the part that keeps failing is the plastic tubing which I am going to replace with much longer-lasting copper tubing. And my theory why the plastic tubing fails is the water solenoid that "slams shut" and creates a water hammer in the tubing, leading to failure. Hopefully we will have moved out of here by the time that fails. The ice maker itself has been pretty much a peach, with only two intermittent failures easily fixed.