Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Three words:

Catherine

Zeta

Jones
A rank amateur. To see how an adult woman handles this type role,

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

The sneaking around hobo guy was good, too.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The sneaking around hobo guy was good, too.
Do you know the story? He was a distinguished prep school teacher who came into the Blue Angel where Lola was performing, fell in love with her, and over time was reduced to what you saw. The Blue Angel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Men cluster to me like moths around a flame,
And if their wings burn, I know I'm not to blame...

A life lesson for any man who can learn it second hand, rather than directly. I ushered for a performance of The Blue Angel during my last year of high school. I decided right then that Vitamin P could be a dicier issue than I had realized. Fifty years later, there has been no successful challenge to that view..

Ha
Old 08-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I decided right then that Vitamin P could be a dicier issue than I had realized. Fifty years later, there has been no successful challenge to that view.
Interesting stories - the one depicted in the film and that of the film itself. Fascinating to think that it was banned in Germany by the Nazis, but Hitler had his own copy that he often watched in his private theater. And imagine his reaction when Dietrich crossed into occupied German territory with the US Army wearing an American uniform.

The recently re-discovered English version is available at Netflix.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

I came across "Sunshine" (Danny Boyle film if anyone is familiar with his work) again recently and I have to say I think it might be one of the best sci-fi films I've seen since I saw "Inception" a couple of weeks ago.

It was never released to theaters in the States for some reason, but I thoroughly recommend it.

(Boyle also did "Slumdog Millionaire" which was good, but overrated in my opinion, and "28 Days Later" which is probably my all-time favorite horror movie.)
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges. He plays an old country singer to perfection.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Not a DVD, but I saw Inception last night at the cinema. I enjoyed it because it was so different and out of the box. Some of the storyline wasn't logical, but then logic was not the point. The point was that subconscious experience can supplant reality. Very neat animation!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I saw this recently on a plane. Very imaginative. I loved the scene where Alice, who has just fallen down the rabbit hole, drinks the potion and becomes too large for the room. I remember the illustrations in my storybook....
I loved the visuals! Great film!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just finished watching Casablanca for about the 73rd time. On TV, not DVD,but still...

What a great movie!
I just viewed it on TCM again also the 73rd time Friday. Still great. Still will waich it for a 74th time. (TCM has great commercial-free movies.)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Chicago (2002)

The highly rated 2002 musical.

Horrible movie.

The story was bad. The characters unlikeable. The singing was bad. The dancing was so so. WTF? Why was this so well liked?

0 out of 10
I loved this movie - YMMV
Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #171

I just worked my way through 5 years of the TV show "Lost" and loved it. It's available on instant play on Netflix. The bad news is the 6th (and final) year has not been released yet so I don't know how it ends - and I'm avoiding finding out.

Other than that here are recommendations and a few I'd stay away from - assume it's one I liked unless I mention otherwise:

Galaxy Quest
The Lovely Bones (this is kind of creepy but visually amazing and I just loved it, as did my SO)
Alice in Wonderlanad
A Single Man
The Informant!
My One and Only - okay, based on the life of George Hamilton, excellent acting
The Road (depressing plot but excellent acting)
Sherlock Holmes: HATED IT. High production values but I was bored throughout and so was my male, Sherlock Holmes-loving, S.O...
Pirate Radio - wonderful
Invictus
An Education
Crazy Heart
The Young Victoria

These are available on Netflix instant...:
District 9 (IMHO this is a must-see, but not light fare)
K-Pax
Bottle Shock - this is fabulous
Peter Pan (with Cathy Rigby) - much like the Mary Martin version of my childhood
The Ruling Class
Greenfingers - this is fabulous
Return of the Secaucus Seven

Okay I watch a lot of movies, it's true!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A rank amateur. To see how an adult woman handles this type role,

Ha
Add to that Madeline Kahn as Lili Von Shtupp in Blazing Saddles

She was amazing.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #173
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo - Subtitles, my DW read the book, suggested we get the movie, great movie, very well done.
Mickslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #174
Gone but not forgotten

We watched Crazy Heart last night . Jeff Bridges did a great job.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

10/10. I've never thought that Tarantino is as good as he thinks he is, but I've changed my mind. Totally engrossing, although there are a few scenes which seem to be purposefully slow, so that the tension builds up (first scene, for example).

It is uber violent in parts, and Lena just couldn't take it, and stopped watching at the first scalping. Entertaining and satisfying.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #176
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

10/10. I've never thought that Tarantino is as good as he thinks he is, but I've changed my mind. Totally engrossing, although there are a few scenes which seem to be purposefully slow, so that the tension builds up (first scene, for example).

It is uber violent in parts, and Lena just couldn't take it, and stopped watching at the first scalping. Entertaining and satisfying.
I thought the ending was particularly satisfying. To heck with historical accuracy. That part just felt good!
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #177
Gone but not forgotten

It wasn't a DVD . I went to the $1.50 movie to see Sex and the City 2 . It was better than the reviews but it's only for die hard Sex & the City fans and I hope it is their last . I really do not want to see a sequel titled Sex & Sun City where they are all in golf togs and hitting on guys with comb overs .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #178
Dryer sheet wannabe

I saw Don McKay, which is not my speed generally, but starred Lowell of Wings (a show I LOVED) and it kept me watching.
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
I saw Don McKay, which is not my speed generally, but starred Lowell of Wings (a show I LOVED) and it kept me watching.
I really enjoyed him in that show too. But a friend of ours wrote a screenplay that Robert Duvall took and created Broken Trail from, and he said that Thomas Haden Church was a prima dona of the first degree. At least on that film. As an example, he said THC insisted on wearing his hat with the brim turned up so more of his face could be seen in the shots.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm...