Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still not...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I think some people don’t enjoy traveling alone. The only trip I would consider is a cruise.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

We have been together 20 years and retirement has been fine .Neither of us are the attached at the hip type . I have several clubs and the gym . He has guy friends and football. We also have lots of things we do together .I do travel by myself but it to visit my daughter and grandsons.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My bride of 41 years and I have a nearly identical set of hobbies. And that's no accident, we realized having common interests is part of the glue that holds us together. We distance run together with a group in the mornings, we practice tennis together and play some together in mixed doubles but also play with others. We both ski, bass fish, shoot, hike, bushwhack, cook and travel local and abroad and both enjoy all of those. But we also take separate vacations, she just got back from a 10 day European river cruise with a girl friend and does something like that at least once a year without me. I take some fishing and sports trips without her. But the fact is we spend a lot of time together having fun. Retirement has been a simple low stress adjustment.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

We finally started our retirement planning in our mid-forties. That began our first discussion of "what do you envision retirement as?"

DH is very self-sufficient and would make an excellent hermit, now that Amazon Prime and eBay exist to fulfill on-line shopping needs. He is a long-time wargaming enthusiast - Warhammer 40K - and our garage holds not our car, but thousands of models, paints, and landscape squares.

I have multiple hobbies, and one is spending way too much time on the Net in various forums, LOL.

He's not big on traveling, while I enjoy it more. But I also prefer to drive rather than fly, so we travel a circuit around Northern CA, with occasional forays on longer trips. Being retired, it's wonderful to be able to plan your schedule to avoid (most of the) rush hour commutes!

Our biggest issue is not wanting to leave the house unattended for long periods of time. Casual crime burglaries are rampant in the city, and with almost all our neighbors still working, very few people are around in the daytime. It's obvious, too, since 90% of the cars disappear off the street every weekday morning - few homes in coastal CA have basements or attics, so everybody uses garages for storage!

Traveling for us is a little different. We don't play tennis, golf, or fish. We don't go to spas, concerts, or theatre plays. I love to dine out, and DH likes to eat, so our travel focuses on food.

I usually throw in a little art or architecture touring, something historical or whimsical, a small amount of shopping.....we keep it relaxed, loose, and always enjoy ourselves. When we're on a trip I'll often just drive for the fun of driving around for a few hours. Stop for a cappuccino or a pastry, stretch our legs for a bit wandering around, then back to the hotel before going out again for dinner.

When we first retired we did some Road Scholar trips around the USA. But although we really enjoyed them, we weren't completely in love with the whole 'group tour' thing. We've enjoyed traveling on our own much more. So that was a change from what we had envisioned.

I enjoy traveling more than DH, but it is a goodly amount of work to play "travel agent", given our preferences. As recompense for not traveling abroad, we've found tremendous pleasure in being able to delve more deeply into the places we visit, because we periodically return over the years. We enjoy discovering those unusual places that most visitors miss, as they 'check off the standard list' of high-profile attractions.

It's been a very happy and satisfying ten years of retirement together. We have a comfortable daily routine of meeting up for meals but doing our "own thing" for most of the day, then spend our evenings together working on our tablets. I'll plan a trip - anywhere from 2-7 days - every couple of months, which make a perfect break in routine.

2019 has had less travel, as we're having a bunch of remodeling projects done which suck up the cash. Hope to get back into the swing of things next year!
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One lesson I have learned in my brief (15 month) retirement experience and my marriage is to remember than my time is now much more flexible than DW's time, and to take that into account.

She does not have to keep working, but currently chooses to keep teaching part time, as she gets joy from instructing high schoolers planning to go to college, and college students interested in learning a language. Classroom time is about 1.5 days a week during the term, and of course some additional time for grading, office hours, etc. Since I traveled so much when I worked, she likes me being around or nearby (i.e., doing something away from home she can choose to join) when she is home. I have learned to adjust my activities to take that into account. It is not a big deal. We like just knowing the other is nearby. For example, I might be playing golf with friends when she is not working. She might choose to come to the course, sit somewhere outside the clubhouse, and sketch the scenery while I am playing.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been retired 10 years now and my wife retired 2 years earlier than me although she switched from working to doing Day Trading full time. She still does that more or less every day although her daily goals are lower now. We don't need the money so it is merely for pleasure. She has evolved into an exceptional professional photographer and works on her images while Day Trading. Like many here, we have different interests enough to keep us happy. We share travel, cooking, gardening, and photography (I do drone work for her) and aerial movies for myself. I have a sailboat which I sail nearly every day and she is prone to seasickness so I do that alone. I also hike and/or go mountain biking nearly daily as well in the forests nearby. I am also a snowboarder so in winter I go on thee trips to the Alps (a 3 hour drive) or closer to home (a 30 minute drive) alone as well. We go on at least 4 large trips a year usually between 2-4 weeks in length and all are photography oriented trips. Also, she stays up much later than I and gets up much later as well. I go to bed around midnight and get up at 0630 and she goes to bed around 0200 and gets up around 1000. Neither of us are social at all so we don't have many friends or people in our lives so we are our own best friends and this has been excellent. We never fight or argue and we agree on nearly everything so it is a good fit. We are also both on our third marriages and we finally got it right late in life. We both have identical time in our other marriages as well. We also have both worked in the same far off places at different times (she as a Soviet scientist and I as an American scientist). We both speak several languages as well although we only share English. It has been a great time since retiring together.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
Life together was good. Life together is now even better.

Young grandchildren have caused us to travel a bit less than we planned but we still take at least one long trip yearly. That seems to be enough because just staying home is like being on vacation. We've been able to spend more time with our joint and individual interests.
Same here.
We each have a shed/workshop our back for any hobbies, we make sure to have dinner together daily, which allows us each our "own time" during the day. We have not traveled as much as we previously thought, but staying home with Grandbabies is sooo much better! We plan 1-2 longer trips each year and several weekend ones. Our lives are full and pleasurable in retirement !
Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

No effect except that my spouse is filing divorce soon and I am excited about that since this will give me the freedom to start new life.
ragabnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH retired a few months ago, but I'm still working. I definitely wanted him to have a 1-year head start so that he could figure out what he wanted to do with his free time, without me around to make suggestions. :-) So far, he's taken over some of the cleaning and almost all the cooking. He seems to love to cook. It's a surprise to both of us.

I'm slowly asking him to do little favors for me during the day -- get something from the store, wait for a package, fix something. He does it all cheerfully. It's nice. Back when he was working, I'd never ask for favors like that. He had very little free time and his job was stressful. I think the fact he's in a better mood helps our relationship a lot. And my life is better because I don't have to do all the domestic chores plus working.
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

Retired in 2017. DW has been out of the workforce since mid 1990's. It has been an adjustment for both of us. It helps us both that I have shed/workshop around the backside of our property that I can spend time so that we both have our space.
allegra3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:04 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Can't help to comment. Best answer here is "Still not..."
justexperienced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:42 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

absolutely no change ,

i am still single ,

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think some people donít enjoy traveling alone. The only trip I would consider is a cruise.
I don't think I would enjoy traveling alone.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post
My DH retired a few months ago, but I'm still working. I definitely wanted him to have a 1-year head start so that he could figure out what he wanted to do with his free time, without me around to make suggestions. :-) So far, he's taken over some of the cleaning and almost all the cooking. He seems to love to cook. It's a surprise to both of us.

I'm slowly asking him to do little favors for me during the day -- get something from the store, wait for a package, fix something. He does it all cheerfully. It's nice. Back when he was working, I'd never ask for favors like that. He had very little free time and his job was stressful. I think the fact he's in a better mood helps our relationship a lot. And my life is better because I don't have to do all the domestic chores plus working.
I had thought that there would be more of a gap between DH's retirement and mine, (with him going first) but another grandchild is on the way, and children may need our help due to son's deployment.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I don't think I would enjoy traveling alone.
I agree-I have done some traveling after my wife died, but there is nothing like sharing the experiences with one you love.
I have remarried, and the experiences are so much better.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote