Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I do not know who wrote that wonderful paragraph, though Goonie used to talk about the endless days of play after his retirement so I associate that idea with him. What a nice description.
It was indeed Goonie, and the rest of his lengthy post from which that paragraph is taken, is wonderful too. Here is Goonie's original post:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post734830

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey thank you...W2R! I have bookmarked the thread! That paragraph is a classic and I have never forgotten it.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
CONTENTED - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #24

It is interesting how the viewpoint changes with FI. While I chose to take on another job, it is not something that I have to do. The work environment can be, to some, a bit tense but that rolls over me. It is a "tempest in a teapot" type of thing that I have the freedom to ignore. I do my work professionally, but it does not define who I am.

Talking about it the other day with another retiree who also works there, we're on the same page. Both savers, and pretty much in the same position financially, we both have a retirement income so all the essentials are covered. The extra income is mostly padding the savings and buy some toys; we both bought motorcycles, for example. So if the job isn't there next week that will be little more than a disappointment and perhaps not even that. Neither will be terribly upset about it.

The gamble of course is that I'll be around to enjoy the results of the padded savings. But isn't that the gamble from day one? I knew one guy who died from cancer at age 24, another young woman at age 33, and it's pretty much a sure bet that within 40 years I'll be pushing up daisies.

But in between? Sort of like market timing...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Such a wondrous quote, about being a kid again. I often joked throughout my life that I either never wanted to grow up, or I never did grow up, I believe DW has a HO on the specifics, but what a great way to look at it, and indeed the way we live it. We do sleep late, we do take naps, we do pretty much play all day at whatever we want, and we do stay out (or up) as late as we please.

Now I've got a succinct way to explain it to non ER onlookers that ask that inevitable question...

Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post

Also the other thing I've discovered is how quickly I have forgotten my "work life". After spending 27 years in Telecommunications, I seldom think about it after less than 90 days! I guess I was ready to go.

E86S54
This was the most puzzling part to me. After only five months of retirement, I rarely think of even the good people where I was employed all those years. Because I spent so much time with them I thought they would be missed, but really the only time spent with them was at the j**. Without the j**, we would not have a whole lot to talk about anyway.
jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess to me, time has become more valuable than money.

Sadly, I am still working on this.

While I believe I am FI I can't seem to escape the trap of the security my job affords me I think about the tradeoff constantly but can't seem to pull the trigger.

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny you folks bring up not being rushed.
About a week ago I basically got ugly (just a little) with a neighbor over nothing.
Afterwards I thought about the incident.
Why did I freak ?
Then I realized, I felt pushed or rushed.
I passed him the next day on the road leaving my home.
Waved him down - told him we would talk later that I felt like he was pushing me to do something I wasn't ready to do. Which he was !!!
He said he didn't mean to do that and we are OK and moving on now.
This guy doesn't even know I retired. I'm not letting many people know.
Anyway, not being pushed about anything must be high on my priorities these days.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
This guy doesn't even know I retired. I'm not letting many people know.
Now there's a topic for a new thread. Steve, how about starting a new thread. I'd love to know how many others keep it secret.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
I'd love to know how many others keep it secret.
Me.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #31

I'm a retired Professor. As they say, who could tell?
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Now there's a topic for a new thread. Steve, how about starting a new thread. I'd love to know how many others keep it secret.
I make a point of telling people if they ask. I get some weird looks, I am only 44 and I look young (mainly because I shave my head so you can't see the diminishing gray). Mostly people are supportive, but I feel self-conscience when telling someone older that is still working. Most folks seem to envy me rather than resent me. I don't want to hide it though. I worked hard for this and I am proud of it even if not everyone understands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It is interesting how the viewpoint changes with FI. While I chose to take on another job, it is not something that I have to do. The work environment can be, to some, a bit tense but that rolls over me. It is a "tempest in a teapot" type of thing that I have the freedom to ignore. I do my work professionally, but it does not define who I am.
Everything seems so important partly because you need to job to pay your bills. You need to really invest yourself in your job to be successful. I know lots of people that retired from my employer and continued to work or just worked past their pension date for one reason or another. Their attitudes totally changed. They don't need to work, they choose too.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It was indeed Goonie, and the rest of his lengthy post from which that paragraph is taken, is wonderful too. Here is Goonie's original post:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post734830
I like Goonie's post. I just started thinking about retirement last June and struggled with the concept a little. The way I describe it is not so much kindergarten but graduating from high school. I've got a lifetime of experience but I'm not quite sure where it is going to lead me. The next phase of my life is uncertain but it's something I am ready to do.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #34

Hey there Marty! Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I feel like I am on the beginning really great! Like graduating high school, as you said, only better. For me, with getting older, life only gets better and better.

When we are young, we have job and work worries, money is uncertain, moving around can be expected, and not much seems in personal control. Retirement is the beginning of a new life. A "bowl of cherries"! 3 years to go!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post

Everything seems so important partly because you need to job to pay your bills. You need to really invest yourself in your job to be successful. I know lots of people that retired from my employer and continued to work or just worked past their pension date for one reason or another. Their attitudes totally changed. They don't need to work, they choose too.
My attitude changed the day I told my boss that I was good to retire, that I was financially set and could get private health insurance.
I plan on trying to hang in for another 22 months to get the cheaper retiree health insurance at 55, but what a feeling of freedom!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
One of the people on this forum wrote this (below)...Maybe you Khan or HaHa...it comes closest to the way I feel now of anything I have read. Whoever it was...Thank you! I think about it all the time.

"I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?". My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid...before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime...whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!". "
I meant to reply to this part of Redbugdave's post but I forgot to.

For me, being retired reminds me not of when I was a little kid but of the 7 weeks between the time I graduated from college and when I began my first full-time job.

While I had some important things to do such as finding a place to live and moving into it, I also had a LOT of fun in those 7 weeks 25 years ago. I had my college graduation. That night, I moved my belongings out of the dorm I would see for the last time and the next morning leave for a 4-day car trip around the NY Metro area, visitng friends and relatives. A few days after I returned, I flew to California for a fun family gathering, my favorite trip of all the trips I made there in the 1980s.

After I got back to NY, I still had a few weeks to decompress from the whirlwind of travel and fun before moving my stuff into my new place in Manhattan. Those weeks felt like being retired, too. Other than a trip to Manhattan finalize my new living place, I had no other obligations. I had access to a car (unlike when I was in kindergarten LOL!) so I could come and go as I pleased.

Being retired the last 2 years has been a lot like those 7 weeks, having no set time to wake up or go to sleep. I had no major obligations such as work and could have all the fun I wanted. I was also mobile, being able to drive. My living expenses were taken care of without having to work, although not the same way.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #37

I did a note for DW showing that we have a total of 75 years of law school, medical school and full time work equivalent. and that none of our parents, grandparents or siblings had worked as much as a couple. I think it finally penetrated her consciousness that there is more to life than the work she is doing.
Our youngest gets married next week and I actually get to be the Father of the Bride for the second and hopefully last time.
So for the first time this year she is taking all of her annual leave and dipping into her vast store of accumulated leave. It's wonderful.

I'm working 1/3 time doing teaching and research. More fun than golf.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote