What he does all day.

Saw this in morning paper. A snippet: QUOTE

A little retirement is a dangerous thing.

I hadn't planned on retiring early, but last June I had a small bout of cerebral hemorrhage. Just a little one. After a week in the trauma unit and a week of feeling feeble at home, I sneaked back to work.

I was a little shaky for a week or so, but all those hours of lying in bed had energized me to the wonderful things I could do with my job. I had such plans, so many worthy projects scribbled on legal pads while resting amid all those tubes at the hospital.

What I hadn't counted on was the perspective. Once back at my desk, facing the inane paperwork and the silly office politics, I found I had less skill in suffering fools.

So it was one more silly e-mail, yet another yawn-stifling meeting and a final bit of organizational myopia that made my decision. This just didn't seem worth it. Maybe after almost 30 years of trying, I had come to realize that I wasn't going to bring light to the eyes of the dim-sighted or rescue those determined to drown in their sea of indecision.

My original plan included a desire to continue to use my years of experience to consult and develop another line of work that had interested me for a while. I mean, after all, a man can't just sit around and enjoy his leisure, can't just wake to a slow breakfast and the paper day after day, can't just read and write whatever strikes his fancy. Can he?

Evidently, he can.

Thus it is that on an April morning -- maybe the last cool, clear day of the year -- I found myself listening to our mockingbird from our patio table. We're pretty sure it's the same guy who has been here for the past three years.
UNQUOTE
The boy needs to join this forum.  He'd fit right in....

No kidding!

A couple of days before, while reading the paper over some Earl Grey and eggs at that same table, my wife and I grabbed the binoculars. For the next 10 minutes, we scanned the tops of oaks, both live and red, of mulberries and pistache. Eventually we found the target.

The song was varied, but it lacked the musicality of our mockingbird. We found the large brown bird with spotted chest twittering in the top of the neighbor's pecan. Out came the Texas bird books, and then we enjoyed the triumphant glow of success at finding and identifying a brown thrasher, a new visitor to our yards.

Which is more inane -- the joy of identifying a new bird or the production of another binder full of paperwork?
I had to retire just so that I could spend a lot more time birdwatching!

I pull intellectual and spiritual sustenance from quiet contemplation. I get fulfillment from a self-derived course of reading and study.

What time do we have? What is the best use of it? I'm working on it.

It's deja vu all over again!

Audrey

While out going to yard sales yesterday with my dad we ran across a man that was selling all his machine tools. Said he just retired, had had enough of the bull, my dad told him he was retired too and the first question out of the guys mouth was. Wadda do all day? My dads answer -- what ever I damned well please after I'm done doing what my wife wants done. I just stood there and laughed at both of them and then told the guy about this forum.

"More individuals aged 55 to 64 were working later in life and spending less time in leisure activities in 2005. Both men and women were spending roughly an hour a day more in paid work than they were in 1998."

Quote from today's release of the General Social Survey: Time Use Patterns of older Canadians

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060726/d060726a.htm

:-\

Cool old thread. Thought it deserved a bump!

In fact, this is the very thread that inspired me to join the early retirement forum, and got me solidly hooked!

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom