Join Early Retirement Today

What he does all day.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What he does all day.

After four months of ER my buddy popped the question.* "Whaddaya do all day, man?"

It was the first time anyone had asked me this, and from the befuddlement on my friend's face I'd say he hadn't expected me to laugh at him.

It was eight PM and I ticked off that day's list on my fingers:

-Drank coffee reading the on-line papers.
-Fed the Wee One her breakfast.
-Went trout-fishing until lunch.
-Grilled trout for lunch.
-Sat in the afternoon sun playing with the Wee One and writing.
-Coaxed the Wee One into her bed, and the wife into ours.
-Awoke happy & refreshed.
-Cut the grass.
-Enjoyed a brace of cold beers.
-Ate dinner.
-Fielded question from my befuddled buddy.

And now I'm wondering why it's so hard for people to figure out what a retired guy does with his free time.* Has the population-at-large forgotten what free time is?

I need to have the aforelisted itenerary printed on cards, so when this question comes up I can hand the asker the answer and save myself the yakking.* Put a boldface heading on the cards, like "DEAF" or "BLIND."* And a sign in the yard: "CAUTION SLOW ADULT PLAYING."

Ed
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What he does all day.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Whoops. Posted this before I read the thread below. Ah, well. If only there were more time in the day.

Ed
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also don't understand people who fear the free time. The only reason I get bored is because I don't have the time to do what I want, so I'm stuck finding something to do before getting ready for the next workday. If I didn't have to work 5 out of 7 days I would take off driving frequently with little or no plan of how long I'd be gone. A weekend isn't long enough to get somewhere and enjoy it; it's just enough time to get there and run through the tourist motions and get back. :P
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think people can't comprehend having that much free time because it has not likely ever been their reality in their adult life.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm coming on my first month of ER and am adjusting extremely well...The answer is: Whatever I want to do!

I am having so much FUN and have started dreaming again...setting new goals (dreams), doing lotsa research on retirement living options, enjoying the heck out of this forum, managing my own time (and learning to manage my own money)...loosing an old friend broker and making new ones!

I don't know I have ever had time to work 60-80 hours a week, much less 8 hours a day being semi-retired for the last 3 years!

acg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

As I was having a beer today at the 19th hole, one of my buddies said "ole Dog will be playing golf full time about this time next year." Another friend who I work with said " Dog won't quit next year, he is only 51 and that would be a stupid thing to do." I told him management already knows of my plans and its a done deal. He couldn't believe it. He is also 68 years old with a mortgage and very little savings. But he says he works because he fears boredom.* :* He made a good living by btw.

I look forward to ER but I almost dread having to explain why I did it.*
Old 01-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I look forward to ER but I almost dread having to explain why I did it.
Just tell them you quit working so you could chase women full time.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I look forward to ER but I almost dread having to explain why I did it.*
I would reply "because I can"
Old 01-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhodaThunkit
I have a rich friend who has not worked for a long time (RE at 30 YO or so), from inheritance.

In response to the question "what do you do," as in work, he generally says something like "manage a private investment portfolio" or "stock and bond trading" or simply "nothing."* In response to the "what do you do all day" question, he describes his activities like golf, putzing on the computer, working with horses, and so forth.

He is also a very nice guy, and has an easy-going, polite, gentle way of answering these questions that doesn't threaten the (relatively) poor person who asks the question.* Just to turn the question a little bit, he might make a comment about missing work some days, or whatever.* This gives the other person a chance to say "Oh, NO!!, let me tell you about . . .," and the conversation changes.
Thoses are good answers. I like the "manage a private investment portfolio" response. However the guy I was refering to above wouldn't get it. He would get REWahoo's answer. I will be politically correct when appropriate.*
Old 01-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #10

I was ar a New Years bash with about a dozen 40 somethings, all materially successful, all own their own business', that is what I got hit with.

I usually answer that I hike frequently, take Max for walks along the Bay, chat with people on the phone, look after the house,shop, do the cooking sometimes(I SUCKat it), gardening in summer, snow maintenance in Winter, fishing, a little hunting, manage my Investments(I am prety good), I don't say I frequent some chat sites, that elicits suspicious looks.

I miss my Health Club, although I now hear of a mega gazillion dollar one going up near bye with Olympic sized pool etc, that would be perfect.

I don't watch daytime TV, that could be a killer.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
I don't watch daytime TV, that could be a killer.
yeah, I hear that ... first thing I did was CANCEL HBO. Didn't want to hit into that sand trap.

Now if I can just get heat into my barn so I can wood work year round. Thinking of a wood stove ... we'll see.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thoses are good answers. I like the "manage a private investment portfolio" response. However the guy I was refering to above wouldn't get it. He would get REWahoo's answer. I will be politically correct when appropriate.*
Honestly, having a cover story is one of the reasons I will probably start a small business after I check out of FT employment. I personally could care less what others think, but my kids and (especially) my wife will find life easier if I have a cover story. My FIL is definately afflicted with the dreaded Protestant work ethic and would never understand.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #13

My husband had a hard time with telling people he was retired especially when they asked if I was too.* He knew his buddies would give him grief about being a kept man, which they did. He's finally gotten over it and just smiles and tells them he's a house husband.

Once I RE my answer to that question will be "what ever I damned dang please".* I've always been known to give an honest answer LOL

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Now if I can just get heat into my barn so I can wood work year round.* Thinking of a wood stove ... we'll see.
Would that be a place to dispose of woodworking projects that don't quite turn out the way you planned?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuled
After four months of ER my buddy popped the question.
Congratulations...
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've just started telling people that I stay home to watch the baby and I sponge off my wife.

Then they stop talking to me.

Pretty much works for everyone concerned.

Sometime later, someone usually clues them in that I'm a multimillionaire and I'm sure that makes them feel pretty foolish for judging me.

That pretty much works for everyone concerned too.

But I guess if you've got a big ego and cant loaf without some kind of good explanation...not so much.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I personally could care less what others think, but my kids and (especially) my wife will find life easier if I have a cover story.* My FIL is definately afflicted with the dreaded Protestant work ethic and would never understand.
I'm going with Jarhead's advice-- not only will your kids not notice what you do, they won't even care. However they will remember every missed evolution or performance in their lives for the rest of your life, and they'll remind you of that perception at every opportunity.

As for your spouse & FIL, I think you should support them by letting them work as many hours per week as they feel necessary to be able to sleep well at night. Step aside and don't hold them back-- they shouldn't have to compete with the rest of us for their employment opportunities!

Besides, you know that for the rest of your life you'll be indulging your income-producing hobby of finding & analyzing deep-value stocks & bonds. "Private investor"-- no cover story necessary.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I discovered that when I told people I was a 'private investor' or 'an investor', they thought I was some sort of con man.

"I'm taking a sabbatical from work so I can spend time with my son while he's still a baby" worked ok, but the rubber question "When ya goin' back?" got me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
but the rubber question "When ya goin' back?" got me.
When he (your son) is married and your grandchildren turn 21?

Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well, thats a fair answer given that i'll be in the 80-90 range by then.

Should be pretty amusing to go to my sons high school graduation just before I turn 60... "Oh look gabe, your grandparents came to your graduation!".

Besides, in about 10-11 years I expect to have a full time job picking up the phone every 15 minutes and answering the questions "Is gabe there?" "Where is he?" "Who is he with?" "Do you know why he isnt answering his cell phone when I call?"