Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What sleep pattern do you have after ER?
I sleep more or less regular hours, but get up earlier than I thought I would. 23 30.26%
I sleep more or less regular hours, and get up about when I thought I would. 26 34.21%
I sleep more or less regular hours, and get up later than I thought I would. 17 22.37%
I don't sleep at regular hours, really! 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'm more of an early person and get up around 7:30 or 8. I usually wake up because our cat Eddie wants his breakfast. I swear, that cat can wake me up by just staring at me I can feel his gaze and he has this wierd, wide eyed look on his face just like the picture below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
He's looking at you in that predator-prey mode and wondering if he should take a bite now, or if he should wait until you serve him his regular breakfast...
Nords, I think you must have been a predator in a prior life. Or was that your prior life on a submarine?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why on earth would you want to take away one of the most enjoyable perks of retirement?

It's not the getting up I mind - it's the going to work, especially when the weather is a trillion degrees below zero and snow is piled several feet high. Mornings are actually pretty nice. Of course, since I am not there yet, I may not have any idea what I'm talking about!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I have set my alarm only once or twice in retirement, either because of a doctor's appointment or because we were planning on a road trip and wanted to get started early. Normally I don't set an alarm.

My older brother does, though, because without one he tends to live life on a 25 hour/day schedule - - in other words, he will go to bed (and get up) an hour later each day, unless he sets his alarm.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I worked very odd hours when employed, being constantly on call and usually interrupted at least twice per night. Seldom got more than 3 hours straight, although I could usually sleep 6-7 hrs in a night. After ER it took me over a year to be able to sleep straight through the night. Now I do, although I still only sleep 6-7 hours/night. Like Nords, my DW sleeps long hours. Unlike him, though, I stay up much later than she does (usually til around 2 AM), and we get up at close to the same time (8 or 9 AM). I've often thought that if I could get in the habit of going to bed before midnight I could lose significant weight, since most of my stupid boredom eating is done late at night when my willpower is low. But if I did that I'd be getting up at 6, which is just crazy. That's closer to bedtime than getting up time.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am semi retired and prefer getting up and into the office 4 mornings a week. I like having my afternoons free. I still have a son living at home who will be a senior in high school so I think that is part of it.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I dont own a watch/clock, neither does the wife. We use blackout blinds in our rv so the sun doesnt necessarily wake us up. I stay up till mid nite or so and get up between 6am and 10am depending on road noise.
I use my computer as required to see what time/date it is.
Life is goot.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My sleeping hours became somewhat erratic when I switched from working full-time to part-time in 2001. Instead of going to sleep around 11:30 PM and waking up at 7 AM 5 days a week, I was able to go to sleep around 1-1:30 AM on the now more frequent nonwork days and 12:30 AM on the work days (because I did not have to be at work until an hour later than before).

When my ladyfriend moved to my area, she had to go to sleep early when I stayed at her place on some weeknights even though I did not have to go to work myself. This made my sleeping hours more erratic.

When I ERed, I lost most of the early morning wake-ups when I had to get up and go to work. The only early wake-ups (i.e. needing an alarm clock) I had were the few times I actually had to be somewhere in the morning such as the school Scrabble tourneys I ran. I have about 4 or 5 per year.

But what has made my sleeping more erratic the last few years has nothing to do with any of that. Unfortunately, I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night more often than before. Not every night, thankfully, but it is often annoying to have my sleep disturbed that way.

Without any of these disturbances, I get up around 8:30 AM, give or take.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I get into trouble when I get into something interesting. - Like solving some programming problem or reading a great book or researching an interesting new topic... suddenly I'll look up and notice the sun is starting to come up.

Oops.

Good thing I don't have to get up early.
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse is an early-to-bed, late-to-rise type. Whenever she's getting into bed, I try to be there for her... so most nights we're in bed by 8-8:30 PM. I don't know how she does it but she's rarely up before 6 AM and usually by 7 AM.
6 or 7 AM is late to rise? Oh, my.

Hmmm...I usually go to bed about 2:00 AM occasionally later and occasionally earlier. That is not much different than when I was working full time. Maybe half an hour later now.

I usually get up between 10AM and 11AM occasionally half an hour or so later. On the day during the week that I go to the office I get up about 8:15 and occasionally set the alarm for 9 or 9:30 if I have something specific to do. I am a night owl and could never go to sleep earlier (for years I tried and just ended awake for hours in bed) but had to get up for work. Now I just get to sleep later so feel more rested overall.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I am a night owl. I usually go to bed around 1:00 am and wake up around 9:00 am, when my body decides it has had enough rest.

I never nap.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My sleep hours are pretty irregular, but typically 8pm - 2:30am. There was no noticeable change when I retired. It is sort of nice to hear the birds starting to chirp and see the sun's first glint, but I'm up early simply because I wake up early.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Nords, I think you must have been a predator in a prior life. Or was that your prior life on a submarine?
Steely-eyed killer of the deep... nothing more challenging than sneaking up on a submarine of "some other nation" and following it undetected while keeping it constantly within firing range.

24/7-- for 30+ days.

Over the last decade, though, our pet bunny (and the many outdoor four-footed "visitors" dropping by to check up on him) have kept me keenly aware of the predator-prey relationship.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I have had chronic insomnia for decades. Sleep aids are my only hope of getting more than 3-4 hours of sleep a night which was a bit rough when I was w*rking 14+ hour days; makes for a loooong day. Since ER, the only real difference is I don't get up as early...never have been a morning person. DW has always been an early sleeper and ER has not changed that very much. We go to bed between 10:30-11PM but I don't actually get to sleep for a couple of hours sometimes. We both get up between 6:30-7AM (except for the last couple of weeks due to female dog having some issues that force us to get up and take her out at 5:45AM. I can't go back to sleep once I am awake so I get up and let DW sleep another hour....we sometimes rotate but it seems I hear her first (even with a CPAP and earplugs). Being a light sleeper is a pain. I don't nap unless I am sick. Overall, I would say we both are getting a little more sleep time in ER than before...especially on Sunday nights; thinking about having to be at w*rk Monday morning can really ruin the end of your weekend.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #34

I planned on roughly 11 pm to 7 am. I'd say 10 or 11 is a typical bedtime, occasionally earlier or later. I don't get up until 7:30 or 8, though I am often awake before that. I discovered that when my kids are in school, they hog all the hot water and I have to wait until 7:30 for it to warm up.

I suppose I have pretty consistent sleeping patterns, but the kids school schedule is part of it. We'll see how it goes this summer when they don't have to get up at 6:30ish.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #35

Usually in bed between 11 pm to 12 midnight but that does not mean I fall asleep immedietedly. If DH does not set my nerves going wild by snoring loudly, then I usually can fall into sleep easily. Awake around 7.30 am. I sometimes take afternoon naps. About 2 times a month, I will get very tired (likely due to over-exercise or just tiredness) and sleep for 10 to 12 hours. I love those days. Had one yesterday - slept at 8.30 pm and got up at 7.30 pm though was waken up a couple of times during the night due to loud snoring but able to fall asleep again.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #36

Not ERd yet so not qualified to vote, but I was thinking of this topic just a couple days ago. I think in my case it is very likely that I'll get up with the sun pretty much year-round and go to bed when I feel ready to sleep. I think I've been able to sleep until 10am maybe twice in my life, and both times were when my body clock was completely screwed up by weeks of intercontinental travel and several days in a row of 2 hours of sleep in an airplane. In any case, I'm almost always up with the sun even on weekends and vacations. I have plenty to do outdoors when we get back to the USA, so no need for me to fritter the daylight away.

R
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #37

For a long time I had this dream of having a huge wooden mallet, roughly a foot in diameter, which I would use to smash that damn alarm clock that woke me at 0430 hours. I planned on having the mallet by the bed on the last day of work and using the mallet when the clock went off.

When I did retire I didn't smash the alarm clock because doing so would have damaged the table underneath, upset DW, and then I'd have to buy a new table.

So I normally go to sleep about midnight or 0100 and wake up between 0600 and 0800, sometime a bit later. Which is one reason I like the job hours I'm working now, 1400-2200 fits my circadian rhythms, the 3.4 mile commute is easy, and I've yet to be denied a day off when I wanted it. Oh, and almost zero paperwork.

And I used to feel guilty about the amount of money they're paying me to keep a chair warm but with therapy I got over it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I am usually awake by 6am when my alarm goes off. I rarely sleep in past that. Go to bed around 11pm. I don't seem to need as much sleep in retirement. And I like to be up before sunrise.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #39

Thought I would sleep later after I fire'd but that has not been the case. Usually hit the sack around 10:30 pm to 11:00pm and am up around 6 am...about the same as pre fire. Still tired at the end of the day...just not from the job, but from my daily activities!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #40

I'm not retired but my itty bitty part time job is on a school calendar schedule so I'm off for the summer, since June 3rd.

I love early morning, but I also love late night. I'm like W2R's brother where I would naturally end up having about a 26 hour day. Too many days of that and I'm all screwed up. This past week I stayed up late and slept in and felt like I lost too much daytime so I'm back to setting a timer (different from the alarm clock used for working days). I'm going to try to get to bed by 11:00 to midnight and get up 6:30 to 7:30. I like having a routine.

DH is retired and he's staying up much later than when he used to work. He never sets an alarm and just sleeps until he's done. Sometimes it's 7:30, sometimes as late as 10 am. I don't mind him sleeping late because it lets me have TIME ALONE which is very rare these days.

When he worked he went to bed around 9 or 9:30 because he was naturally waking up around 4:30 or 5:00 even though his alarm was set for 6 am. His bladder or the light or the birds would wake him and he wouldn't be able to get back to sleep. He would go take a walk or go on his computer until it was time to get ready for work. So it's nice to see him sleeping until he's done now that he's retired.