What I don't miss about work.

That really hit a nerve with me. At my next to last company, I was told they wanted me in on weekends for basically "face time". I said, you want me to drive 2 hours just to show my face here for an hour:confused: I was told I had a "bad attitude", so I resigned.

Last person at megacorp that told me I had a bad attitude, I replied "I don't have a bad attitude. I just don't have an attitude." It was not well received, but since I was FI at the time, I didn't care what they thought. YMMV

Old Medic, your 'spidey' senses were tingling when you walked back into the 'office', and that tells us the kind of person you are. You have, and do really care about people, without ever meeting them, to do what you did. What a beautiful, blessed gift you have. God bless, and stay peaceful in your retirement.

Well THANK YOU very much. One of my sayings was about the mental balance of what it took for this job, You must have enough compassion to risk your live for a complete stranger, but not be emotional about if they live or die.

Nothing

Caught up with an ex-employee yesterday and she informed me how things were going since I retired 1 Feb 22. Needless to say, leadership is lacking and employees are not happy. Something told me it was time to move on. To enjoy the rest of my life. There was no future for promotion and my health is not getting any better. Now it is "us" time. Since I retired:

- my daughter got married
- went to Brazil
- went to Colorado and New Mexico
- attended my nieces sweet 16 in Houston
- went to St Louis and gambled and also attended a Cardinals baseball game

As for the rest of the year:

- visit Puerto Rico in May or June
- Go to Bogota, Cali and Santa Marta Colombia in Sep
- Go To Canada in November

Life is good and also too short. Take the leap! You have earned it!

My last department head who had an obvious problem with alcohol but because he was only a couple of years from pension eligibility everybody just stuck their heads in the sand.

Pretty sure the above killed him a couple of years ago.

He bled out internally & IIRC most clotting factors are made in the liver.

My last department head who had an obvious problem with alcohol but because he was only a couple of years from pension eligibility everybody just stuck their heads in the sand.

Pretty sure the above killed him a couple of years ago.

He bled out internally & IIRC most clotting factors are made in the liver.

Yeah, I read the emergency room report of a friend who died of alcoholism. IIRC they gave him something like 12 units of blood. In essence, his liver exploded. His belly was distended with blood. He was yellow with jaundice. The report read like an inevitable outcome that had to be opposed by the docs. Heart breaking.

Returning you now...

After a 34 year long career, there is nothing I miss, the work, the deadlines and even the people. By the time I retired I could barely sit through another 3 or 4 hour mind numbing meeting, and then rehash it all over again the next day. I have been through all the nearly annual management courses, such as; business process re-engineering, six sigma, 6 minute employee interviews, emotional intelligence, etc, etc.

I still pinch myself everyday about being retired, down from twice a day. The liberating feeling of freedom with each day is absolutely joyful! It is truly the best job I have ever had.

After a 34 year long career, there is nothing I miss, the work, the deadlines and even the people. By the time I retired I could barely sit through another 3 or 4 hour mind numbing meeting, and then rehash it all over again the next day. I have been through all the nearly annual management courses, such as; business process re-engineering, six sigma, 6 minute employee interviews, emotional intelligence, etc, etc.

I still pinch myself everyday about being retired, down from twice a day. The liberating feeling of freedom with each day is absolutely joyful! It is truly the best job I have ever had.

Heh, heh, I always scheduled dental and dr. appts. during my boss' staff meeting. One of my boss' other underlings was our instrument maintenance coordinator. He wore a pager (remember those) in case an instrument had a problem. He had a "confederate" who would always call him about 25 minutes into our 4 hour weekly staff meeting. YMMV

Heh, heh, I always scheduled dental and dr. appts. during my boss' staff meeting. One of my boss' other underlings was our instrument maintenance coordinator. He wore a pager (remember those) in case an instrument had a problem. He had a "confederate" who would always call him about 25 minutes into our 4 hour weekly staff meeting. YMMV

Many of us who carried pagers, or later in-house cell phones, for 30 years dreamed of doing that. I'm glad to see someone pulled that off.

What I don't miss about work... timesheets and expense reports!

Speaking of which...need to submit 2 tomorrow so I can get PAID! Its my fav part of the job. I just put an 8 in 5 boxes and then login to PayPal to send an invoice to the company I contract/consult with. A week later the money is in the bank!

I had a co-worker who would start chatting me up and never stop yapping. I setup an exit strategy so that anytime he stopped by to chat at my desk another co-worker would ring my phone. I kid you not, on more than one occasion, he kept talking while I was pretend talking on the phone.

We too had all kinds of reports we had to do. Obviously, if I had to submit a report to get my own money back, I was scrupulous about it. But, over time, I realized that most reports were simply shoved in a drawer somewhere and never looked at. It took a while, but I figured out which reports were actually used and which were shelved. For the shelf packers, a half fast job of putting them together (as long as they looked good) was sufficient. I figured, sooner or later, one of those reports would bite me in the hind quarters, but it never happened. Heh, heh and this was before the movie "Office Space." YMMV

BS overtime policies.
BS dress codes.
BS time sheets.
BS performance reviews.
BS expense reports.
BS position classifications.
BS salary erosion.
BS benefit erosion.
BS lies from management.

Other than that, no real opinion...

Last edited:
BS overtime policies.
BS dress codes.
BS time sheets.
BS performance reviews.
BS expense reports.
BS salary erosion.
BS benefit erosion.
BS lies from management.

I'm seeing a theme here or is it just me?:cool:

OMG, EXACTLY THAT! I have a VERY part time gig, and get a small monthly stipend for cell phone allowance, $85. So every week, even with zero hours, I have to do an online timesheet and then a monthly expense report. I resent having to do it!! I promised them a year. I’m gone after that, just a few more months.

OMG, EXACTLY THAT! I have a VERY part time gig, and get a small monthly stipend for cell phone allowance, $85. So every week, even with zero hours, I have to do an online timesheet and then a monthly expense report. I resent having to do it!! I promised them a year. I’m gone after that, just a few more months.

i recall a buddy having to include his time working on his timesheet on his timesheet. thankfully i was not required to do them.

I don’t miss the pager going off at 2:00 am. Nothing good ever happens at 2 am.

+100
I was once given a Blackberry on an alert, and the message went to voicemail. The dumb a$$es never gave me the password to access the message.

Part of my final year at work exit strategy was taking time to list, in detail, what I was not going to miss about the job. It’s a long, detailed list created during leader meetings. Kept me awake, implied I was listening attentively and taking notes. Gave me a great deal of satisfaction with my decision and a few laughs at post-retirement social gatherings with close work buddies.

Highly recommend this exercise to anyone who is on the cusp of retirement: voluntary or involuntary. And yes…be sure to name names[emoji23] Password protected…of course.

Part of my final year at work exit strategy was taking time to list, in detail, what I was not going to miss about the job. It’s a long, detailed list created during leader meetings. Kept me awake, implied I was listening attentively and taking notes. Gave me a great deal of satisfaction with my decision and a few laughs at post-retirement social gatherings with close work buddies.

Highly recommend this exercise to anyone who is on the cusp of retirement: voluntary or involuntary. And yes…be sure to name names[emoji23] Password protected…of course.

Heh, heh on your last day, be sure to send the list to everyone and give them the PW! :dance:

The #1 thing I don’t miss about work is difficult politics. Unproductive meetings and business travel are also on the list, but the most draining thing to me was trying to work effectively with people who had an agenda other than improving the business.

Amen! The politics and agendas were so emotionally draining - what a load of wasted energy! So grateful that is gone from my life.

BS overtime policies.
BS dress codes.
BS time sheets.
BS performance reviews.
BS expense reports.
BS salary erosion.
BS benefit erosion.
BS lies from management.

hahaha

"performance reviews" ...seriously--shoot me!
I was in sales so every year we had a new comp plan that paid us less but was window dressed as some amazing plan where the potential was "huge"

This is BY FAR my favorite thread on this site!

Back
Top Bottom