What I don't miss about work.

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I stopped by the station this morning, needed to give an old coworker something, and sat around BSing for a few... The tones start ringing...
Possible overdose, 28 year old male unresponsive, not breathing, CPR in progress. They ask if I want to go along and help... Nope, I'll pass...

Can you still "legally" work in a clinical or emergency medicine setting? I know my BIL is a retired DR and can no longer practice or write prescriptions, etc.

Can you still "legally" work in a clinical or emergency medicine setting?

Yes and no... theres a fine line buried in the mud.. I am still state certified as a Paramedic, and can use my advanced skills "while on duty". So I can sign a waiver and 'Volunteer" and be legal to preform... But I can also just get rehired and get paid... but then I am REQUIRED to act, as a volunteer I'm just an extra set of hands. Even after my certification expires, I can still provide basic level care as a good samaritan if I come across something that has happened without fear. But just the basic stuff.

Oh, I bet for a minute there, your heart started racing and your mind started "the list" of steps when you first get to the person down.!

I will finally let my RN license retire this year. It feels good, I went back too many times to "help" on call, now I can't! :)

Oh, I bet for a minute there, your heart started racing and your mind started "the list" of steps

Not really... that stuff stopped years ago... I'm about numb to the adrenalin rush anymore. At times I think thats not a good thing.

Retired fireman here. Retired 6 years now, still having dreams almost every night.

It's going to happen. It's somebody else's turn now.

If I were to think hard enough about it, I'm sure I could recall some things about work that I did not like. But why? I had a successful career that I largely enjoyed, and that career is what allows me to be retired now. So I'll just be happy to remember the good times and let the bad ones slip into the memory hole.

what I don't miss about work

I don't miss the "work" part! (I also don't miss the constant travel)

The worry and stress that people don't get hurt/killed and follow all safety rules. No short cuts do it safe every time all the time.

Sending crews out in storms and adverse weather conditions in a dangerous job to begin with.

I don't miss that stress one bit!!!

What I don't miss about work....

Well, how about tedious, long, unproductive meetings? And then there's work travel, exhausting long days at conferences in unfamiliar cities.

The #1 thing I don’t miss about work is difficult politics. Unproductive meetings and business travel are also on the list, but the most draining thing to me was trying to work effectively with people who had an agenda other than improving the business.

I don't miss anything.... I could cheekily say the pay but I really don't even miss it since I washed it through my brokerage anyway and lived off my allowance for the last few years. That could change if market returns and inflation don't invert sometime in the not too distant future -but I still wouldn't go back!

I have tentative plans to meet a coworker (one that was the 3rd to be tapped to back-fill my position) for lunch before he leaves town/the job following his spouse overseas to a new job. It will be interesting to see how I feel... the few times I've talked to coworkers, I just don't care and have little interest in the office BS and have nothing else in common with them.

This year's "new age" (or what ever) program to make us more productive: Performance Excellence, 6 Sigma, etc.

Oh, and I don't miss Performance Appraisals (both giving and receiving.) YMMV

If I were to think hard enough about it, I'm sure I could recall some things about work that I did not like. But why? I had a successful career that I largely enjoyed, and that career is what allows me to be retired now. So I'll just be happy to remember the good times and let the bad ones slip into the memory hole.

+1
There was not much more than some frustration occasionally that isn't worth my time to think about. There are mostly warm and pleasant memories of a career that gave me a lot of satisfaction. I'm one of the lucky ones that went the path of what I wanted to do that gave me fulfillment, freedom and time instead of chasing dollars. It paid off for me.

Cheers!

This year's "new age" (or what ever) program to make us more productive: Performance Excellence, 6 Sigma, etc.

Oh, and I don't miss Performance Appraisals (both giving and receiving.) YMMV

oooooh...who remembers "Quality Circles"? :facepalm::facepalm:

Oh gee, Old Medic, I would take a miss on that, too!

I don't miss:
- customers with anger management or substance use issues
- technology that was clearly broken, then being asked if I would "turn it on and off again"
- Initiative of the Month (or year) that we would attend training for, be expected to write goals around, highlight in our monthly branch reports, and then watch as it was mysteriously eclipsed by Something More Important

I think maybe I was burned out...

Last edited:
The number one thing I don't miss about work is having to be somewhere on a schedule. I never liked having to get up earlier than I wanted to, then sit in traffic to get to the office at an arbitrary time, and then stay there until some other arbitrary time.

Insanity I don't miss the insanity.

I don't miss the rotating shift work. Day work one week, evenings the next, then midnights, then back on day work. Did that for a bit over 18 years. I didn't really understand how exhausting that is until I transferred to a "straight day work" position and could keep a regular schedule. In hindsight that was the most stressful part of the job.

Back
Top Bottom