Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A green light for travel to Europe. We had to cancel our first ever trip and are anxious to reschedule so we can use our vouchers and get over there.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I too want the Covid vaccine but my profile may not come up until February.
DH and I have enough stuff. Maybe a subscription to Ancestry just to keep me occupied at home.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
Santa recommends the X3 30e hybrid, no issues on ours delivered June 2020. It gets about 65mpge, and about 32 on road trips and has plenty of poop!

On my list is a hitch extension for my motorcycle carrier to mount on the front hitch of my truck AND somewhere we can actually go with it.
I think I would get mine without the poop.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing.

However I'm with W2R on this one, an end to the pandemic by Christmas would do nicely.

Good luck & Best wishes...
Old 12-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #25

dinner and a movie...out
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
The gift that keeps on giving. Congrats!
Thank you!
Old 12-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #27

Nothing specific. We have adapted to the "new normal" to a large degree. More air travel in 2021 would be nice. If it does require a vaccine, we are fine with doing that.

In terms of actual gifts, I'm getting all the gifts out of the way for family and friends first before I worry about myself.

To the OP, one thing I do for my wife and kids who want to get me a gift: on places that I shop that allow online lists (e.g.Walmart, Amazon, NewEgg, Home Depot), when I see some "inexpensive" item (< $50) that seems interesting, I add it to my wish list. 95% of the time I do not end up buying it. But this time of the year I share the list with them and say "anything on these lists that you can afford".
Old 12-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #28

As others have mentioned, we buy whatever we want/need so are hard pressed to id Christmas gifts. For years, DH and I splurge big at Christmas and get something for the house that we will enjoy. This year, it's A/C .
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

Usually I purchase what I want, but this year I told DH that I wanted a Yamaha electronic keyboard and a year of piano lessons. Being retired, I now have the time to devote to learning an instrument.
kwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #30

New LG OLED TV for main level, since old one died.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #31
gone traveling

During the Covid shutdown in April/May, I built a really nice little 12' bass boat from a fiberglass jon boat. I like it, and it works well but wanted something more maneuverable that I could easily handle loading myself. My wife got me a 10' angler Kayak that I have been modding out for next Spring....Merrry Christmas to me !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #32

Covid-19 vaccine
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:27 AM   #33

My wife and I both agreed we wouldn't buy gifts this year just because it's expected for a holiday. We have a few things we need around the house, like new silverware and pillows for the bed. We are planning to shop for those together, so we can pick items we both like.

We have picked up a few things for our daughter who has her own apartment now, so we can get things she actually needs.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:31 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like a nice popcorn popper and some gourmet popcorn.
Not sure if I should ask for an electric or an air-popper.
(Anyone have a favorite?)
Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpy View Post
I'd like a nice popcorn popper and some gourmet popcorn.
Not sure if I should ask for an electric or an air-popper.
(Anyone have a favorite?)
My favorite is the West Bend Stir Crazy.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...RoCPXcQAvD_BwE
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #36
Administrator

Like many here we buy what we want when we want it these days. Our 2 children continue to work from home but we have several relatives whose jobs require them to physically go into work so what we would like most is for them all to continue to avoid catching Covid. My sister in particular would have a really hard time if she caught Covid as she already has lupus and asthma.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:18 AM   #37

We have rented a small house in Pawleys Island, SC (very nice beach area) for the months of January and February--this will be our Christmas present to each other. It will be a little warmer there so we can do more outside activities and it will be a change of pace, but we will still continue to hunker down there and be safe. It is only 4 hours away so we can easily drive.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #38

I just want to spend Christmas with someone that loves me. I think I have it covered this year after meeting a great woman. We are both widower/widows and a second chance is really special. Things are looking up for me.

VW
Old 12-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I just want to spend Christmas with someone that loves me. I think I have it covered this year after meeting a great woman. We are both widower/widows and a second chance is really special. Things are looking up for me.

VW
VanWinkle--Congratulations to you. What a great post!!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
We have rented a small house in Pawleys Island, SC (very nice beach area) for the months of January and February--this will be our Christmas present to each other. It will be a little warmer there so we can do more outside activities and it will be a change of pace, but we will still continue to hunker down there and be safe. It is only 4 hours away so we can easily drive.
I have a hammock in my shed from there that we bought many years ago. I used it some in our last house but where we are now we don't have 2 trees large enuff to string it up. I may just bury a couple of 4x6's in the ground and string it up this spring. Your gift to me was the making me think of it again!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote