What is the single best thing you did to get where you are today?

Did he go quietly or was it a conspicuous death?

:LOL:

My other Grandad went quietly - not yelling and screaming like his passengers.

I also had a Great Grandfather who knew exactly when he was going to die - the judge told him.

... and another of my Great Grandfathers almost died in World War I but survived a mustard gas attack - he ended up a seasoned veteran.

Back on topic.... I guess the best thing I've done to get where I am today is to laugh through everything that life throws at me. Humor is the best medicine.

Back on topic.... I guess the best thing I've done to get where I am today is to laugh through everything that life throws at me. Humor is the best medicine.

But have you ever been in pain, and tried to laugh through it?

When I was in the hospital (16 years ago) the nurse gave me a shot for pain, and believe me, once it took effect I laughed right through it. :D

But have you ever been in pain, and tried to laugh through it?

Most certainly, including the time a few years back when I was in hospital with meningitis and after a couple of days asked the nurse twice if I could be un-hooked and allowed to have a shower - each time she said she consulted the doctor who said 'no'.

A little later I fell out of bed ripping out the intravenous tube leaving the open the end of the, now banana shaped, needle shooting out long pulses of blood. I had to rip off the dressing and managed to take hold of the end of the needle and pull it out then clamp down with my hand and call the nurse. Of course, my accent is difficult, and she appeared with a bed-pan thinking I had said I was being sick again. When she came in and saw blood all over the walls and me, her mouth fell open in shock, and I said - "Now can I have that shower?" and started laughing, we both got a fit of the giggles :ROFLMAO:

However, while I have been hospital several times for illnesses and surgeries I am blessed that I have always recovered and have not suffered the sort of chronic pain that goes on and on and on, and don't want to suggest that I could retain my sense of humor through everything.

I don't know about Alan, but I got downright giddy at the dentist's office yesterday...'cause I said "Gas?...yes...fill 'er up!" :D

When I was in the hospital (16 years ago) the nurse gave me a shot for pain, and believe me, once it took effect I laughed right through it. :D

:LOL::LOL:

I've been in ER rooms several times in my soccer days with fractures, dislocations etc and have always made jokes with the doctors and nurses.

I guess the best thing I've done to get where I am today is to laugh through everything that life throws at me. Humor is the best medicine.
I have the same attitude.

Not only do I laugh through pain, I laugh when I'm angry. Now during some of those times I will say "I'm laughin', but I ain't exactly tickled."

Just the act of laughing soothes me. :)

. I guess the best thing I've done to get where I am today is to laugh through everything that life throws at me. Humor is the best medicine.

A few times I have started laughing when things got really screwed up. Usually it has been when a sequence of improbable events leads to a mess, or when the sheer mass of challenges and work is overwhelming. It can help to laugh at these situations, but it elicits some strange reactions from others (who may not see the situation as funny, and may suspect you've cracked).

Not only do I laugh through pain, I laugh when I'm angry. Now during some of those times I will say "I'm laughin', but I ain't exactly tickled."

Years ago I had a very good friend who told me about what would happen when she and her husband were in the midst of a heated argument. One of them would start huffing and puffing, with nostrils flared, and snort like a bull. She said that would throw them into a fit of laughter and soften the argument quickly. :D

Years ago I had a very good friend who told me about what would happen when she and her husband were in the midst of a heated argument. One of them would start huffing and puffing, with nostrils flared, and snort like a bull. She said that would throw them into a fit of laughter and soften the argument quickly. :D
Now THAT is funny! :LOL:

When DH and I get in an argument, we'll walk into different rooms to cool down. By the time we see each other again, we've forgotten what the argument was about. :D

My Dad died in December, aged 84, (in England) and my brother came over from Australia as well as myself from the USA. My Dad was well loved by everyone, particularly for his sense of humor so while it was sad that he'd died, his funeral and wake was full of laughter and good humor.

At one point my brother and 2 sisters were in Dad's house sorting through stuff when the phone rang. My brother answered and after a moment said, "I hope this isn't a sales call...... look, I'm at home, my wife is out of town staying with her mother and my girlfriend is in the bedroom. I'm about to have the best sex ... <click>" He then smiled and said, "That usually gets rid of them. Now, where were we..." :2funny:

I also had a Great Grandfather who knew exactly when he was going to die - the judge told him.
... and another of my Great Grandfathers almost died in World War I but survived a mustard gas attack - he ended up a seasoned veteran.
Except, of course, for the people who used to hang out with your grandfathers!

Learning consciousness can be controlled, allowing me to live a life as simple as possible, yet filled with happiness and meaning.

what a homogeneous bunch! great thread.

my keys match the bulk here - save like crazy, no new cars, spouse, no stupid debt

i do use smart debt - to invest. unsecured fixed low interest rate loans helped me along. i still read every offer that comes in the mail. i save the good ones -- just in case i find something to invest in.

1) Systems/Finance in college.

2) Switched to IT contract/consultant early to increase salary. Always worked at least 2 jobs/accounts for first 12 years.

3) Rental property and 1031 tax exchange.

4) Saved (keogh/sep/ira) as much as I could early to exploit compounding with tax defer.

5) Married spouse that worked. Make no mistake, it took 2. DW handled daily operations and I was in charge of real estate/investing and the big picture. (LBYM - lived on 1 salary, the lowest)

The harder we worked, the luckier we got.

:LOL:

May I use these lines if you are not in the same room. Thanks.

I fortunately earned a full academic scholarship for my both Bachelor and Master degrees in engineering. I was offered a scholarship for my PhD but DW said that it was time to get a job. I ended up getting a great job.

a > No kids
b > Start own business
c > Be a cheap bugger
d > Have a compatible spouse

What we did to help us be able to retire 2 years early:
1. Both DW and I got a Ph.D. and had good jobs.
2. We worked our tails off as university faculty and as authors of textbooks.

We would be better off (or would have been able to retire even earlier) if we had not:
1. Had 7 kids, helped them all through college, and helped them get set up when they got married. Our reward: 20 grandkids so far.
2. Traveled throughout the world (before we got too old).

But I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Back
Top Bottom