Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO
I think I would be tempted to choose the 2 days a week option. But maybe ask for more than 10% over my full time rate to compensate for loss of vacation days, sick days, holidays, etc. And work out that they pay for professional development time for licensure, and paid time to complete it.

This would allow a smooth transition to ER and if you find you get bored on your 5 day weekends, you could probably renegotiate more hours or reinstatement to your old gig. As long as the work is there.
I have held part time jobs the past 3 years ( with summers off). First 2 years was 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. This year it's 5 hours a day, 3 days a week. I much prefer the bunching of hours in 3 days instead of 5. Two days would be even better in my mind.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
This part-time offer seems like such a good deal now, but the terms won't last on either side of the negotiating surface. Your employer will start making subtle (or not-so-subtle) additional demands like a "special meeting" during your time off, or staying a little later to finish a team project, or expecting you to support the culture with your participation in "mandatory" training/social events. If you're getting a 401(k) then I don't think you can plead that you're "just a contractor", and there's still the whole unsavory hostage factor of the $80K.

You'll change too. Two days per week doesn't seem so bad now from your current 5+ days/week perspective, and heck-- it's just a few years. Easy money! But after a few months your part-time working lifestyle will start interfering with your full-time retiree lifestyle. You'll resent having to show up for the two days you've agreed to, let alone the extra requests. You'll have absolutely no patience for the usual workplace BS or the rush-hour commute that you're tolerating now, let alone for anything "extra" that someone thinks up over the next few years.

I suspect that about eight months into it you'll find yourself having a family conversation along the lines of "WTF am I doing this?!? It's only $80K, and we don't need the money..."
+100000 - my husband is living it now.....it's even worse than when he was on active duty...and it's not necessary...be very careful of being manipulated regarding "duty" or anything like that. You've already shown you are capable and successful and willing to do what it takes -people can prey on that. I like the quote by Heinlein (did someone already post that here earlier?):

Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect. But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please — this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time — and squawk for more! So learn to say No — and to be rude about it when necessary. Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.

Heinlein
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not FIRE'd yet, but if I were, I would choose option 1. Do you like what you do, does this job keep you challenged ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

1. Accept a part time job with your employer continuing doing something you like 2 days a week for 48 wks per year - 1 day per week from home and 1 with 30 min commute to an office, at a pay rate starting approx 10% more than your rate when you retired, 401k but no other benefits. And do this under contract for 2-3 years?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At this point in my life, I'd rather front load any w*rk commitments. I was off for several months after being "right-sized" about five years ago, and it was damned hard to go back. When I finally get to stop for good, I don't want to ever go back...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #45
gone traveling

"What is your free time worth?"

Much more than my former employer (with close to 30 years of service) was willing to pay.

That's why I retired ...

Didn't want any part time j*b after I left. Regardless of the hours, a j*b is still a j*b, with required hours and expectation of results.

No thanks.

Life (retirement) is great...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am not FIRE'd yet, but if I were, I would choose option 1. Do you like what you do, does this job keep you challenged ?
Yes I like what I do. I'm in the middle of some challenging roadway projects that will last past 2017. But there is no way that I'll stay that long. Today we finished the paperwork for a 1 year contract at 2 days per week. It should work fine as long as I can mentally ignore work for the other 5 days.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote