Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the town where I used to live there were lots of fairly intrusive questions, but I never blew them off because small town people love to get to talking about that new guy who never seems to go to work, and I did not want my door broken down. In information vacuum will get filled one way or another.

In the central city where I live now many people work odd hours or do non-standard things so usualy interest if any is just normal human interest in others. Also I am older, but very many people my age are working; I think it is the default assumption.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Emancipated Insurance Professional
Mickslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
I'm sure being retired engineer must be an ice breaker if a person who's asking is working engineer. I'm a structural engineer, aka working stiff so when someone say their occupation is an engineer, I always ask them what type. When I was a pup (such long time ago), I always thought engineers were locomotive engineers. Then after I started working in NYC, machine operators are called operating engineers, sewage treatment workers are called process engineer...etc.

I think if I ever get to FIRE, I'll put Fortunate Engineer as occupation.
I've always had fun with that...I am a female in case you didn't know. Eyebrows still get raised, or some still ask if I was an gym teacher when I tell 'em my bachelor's degree is in Physics.

I have a lot of MSEE courses completed, but not the degree. And 2 US patents. Close enough, eh?

I dabbled in software design, coding & testing, laboratory data acquisition, fiberoptics, digital instrument system operation, signal processing, technical program management, image processing, yadda yadda yadda.

I think "Botanical Engineer" would apply now when I design the layout and trellis supports for my container gardening.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I've always had fun with that...I am a female in case you didn't know. Eyebrows still get raised, or some still ask if I was an gym teacher when I tell 'em my bachelor's degree is in Physics.

Good one

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have a lot of MSEE courses completed, but not the degree. And 2 US patents. Close enough, eh?

I dabbled in software design, coding & testing, laboratory data acquisition, fiberoptics, digital instrument system operation, signal processing, technical program management, image processing, yadda yadda yadda.

I think "Botanical Engineer" would apply now when I design the layout and trellis supports for my container gardening.
How about "Lifestyle Engineer"?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I have not found a need profess.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

To borrow from a former poster---my post FIRE profession is Lazygood4nothingbum!! A profession that I excel at ;-)
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Retired Engineer.

I will always be an Engineer even if I am not getting paid for it.
I am a retired engineer, but I never use the word engineer. Done with that! On my list of things I never want to do again which includes working full-time and wearing a tie, is being an engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Aw!! These posts were so sweet, and I didn't see them until now. Thank you. I try.

You made my day!
I agree, I always enjoy your posts and your wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
To borrow from a former poster---my post FIRE profession is Lazygood4nothingbum!! A profession that I excel at ;-)
I usually say I'm retired, but when asked what I do all day I say I'm a writer. I like saying that. I have also been known to claim I am a trout bum.

Funny, I'm always telling people I'm retired. Even when I think I might get lectured about being too young or suffer some complaints about pensions. I never do. My DW on the other hand gets that stuff all the time when she tells people I'm retired. I'm all ready to defend myself, but never get the opportunity. DW says most people are intimidated by me. Me? I'm cute and cuddly!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
...some still ask if I was an gym teacher when I tell 'em my bachelor's degree is in Physics.

How about retired dabbler? Maybe Patent-holding Dabbler?
Dabbler - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It seems you haven't retired from it though!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #70

My Geologist friend tells me that retired Geologists prospect.
I asked him what retired engineers do (I am a retired engineer)? He said putter. I think he meant dabble.
I am not much of a putterer (is that a word?). He is still working by the way.

I'm a lumberjack!
At least while my health holds out I will tend our modest stand of trees.
Maybe I should post this in the back injury thread.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I asked him what retired engineers do (I am a retired engineer)?
Recovering Retired engineers continue to optimize every system that they encounter, including its operator's technique & training, which is what makes them so endearingly special to their spouses and other loved ones...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Recovering Retired engineers continue to optimize every system that they encounter, including its operator's technique & training, which is what makes them so endearingly special to their spouses and other loved ones...
Sadly, afraid so.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Darn it Nords, you just made me angsty about my ex-girlfriend again, heh. So true though, it totally is cute and endearing to observe.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Sadly, afraid so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
Darn it Nords, you just made me angsty about my ex-girlfriend again, heh. So true though, it totally is cute and endearing to observe.
Or so I've heard.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Domestic Engineer
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ha! very nice usage of the term. I'm glad to see everyone is embracing the title. Love it.
Luckygem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #77

How about those forms that just won't quit asking questions?
Occupation? RETIRED
Former Occupation? Engineer
Where? You want to say, "does it make a difference"? Instead, I just list the address of the last place I w*rked.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

My post-retirement jobs evolve. Yesterday I worked THREE of them:

1. bending over plucking dandelions in the rain
2. hand-sorting 20 pounds of 50 years worth of "tinkering" into-
screws
bolts
nuts
trash
3. drinking beer as needed to accomplish 1. and 2. above

Today's jobs:
dunno yet! It's not even noon, why rush?
queeneev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #79
gone traveling

When I retired four years ago (May 1, 2007) folks I spoke to wondered how/why I would retire at such an "early age" (heck, I was already old, at age 59).

Today, being a bit older (and SS age) nobody ever asks the question. Heck, I go to Kohl's (department store) on Wednesday to get their "senior discount" and they give it to me without having to mention it.

I'm not complaining - life is good...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote