Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired -- never give it a second thought.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retired rabbitologist (or could say retired bunnyologist).
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Retired Engineer.

I will always be an Engineer even if I am not getting paid for it.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I say "investor." I tried "retired" at first, but I found it confuses people and then I have to explain too much.
Kabekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Interesting observation, given that several men on this forum have avatars of younger men or celebrities too.

Remember when the forum used the other software, and we had default avatars? I used the Eva Habermann avatar, because I thought it conveyed sympathetic understanding and interest in a conversation. Unlike many here, I am very open about my avatar and even explain it on my profile.

I didn't choose it from the very limited selection of avatars simply because Eva Habermann was younger than I was. I am proud of my age. I am one of the very few women here who does NOT dye her hair and knock herself out trying to look younger than she is.

I have tried numerous times to change my avatar, but the pleas that result from male members of the forum touch my heart so I always return to Eva. But since you object, how about this avatar?
W2R,

I don't care what your avatar looks like, but I must say you are one of the most beautiful members on this forum on the inside, and its quite evident in all your posts.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
W2R,

I don't care what your avatar looks like, but I must say you are one of the most beautiful members on this forum on the inside, and its quite evident in all your posts.
Yes, W2R - you are one of the most beautiful souls on this forum!

I say I am an artist, which I have always been, and will always be...and, I own a farm.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
and a third. What makes you think most of the women here dye their hair and so on? I don't recall much mention of the subject one way or the other.

Not me, I've been dyeing my hair since my early 30's. I wanted to be a redhead, tried that for awhile, now I'm brown with blondish streaks. In my 50's, still not grey, but still dyeing my hair for the fun of it!

My avatar is of a younger beauty, my Mastiff mix, and my occupation will be RETIRED, I worked hard to obtain that title!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We work at home...If the question goes any further I manage rental property, DW has her own home based travel agency.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Since I efile my taxes, I simply put "retired". If I filed the old fashioned way, I would put down "retired :-) :-) :-)" with several smile faces afterwards.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
W2R,

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Yes, W2R - you are one of the most beautiful souls on this forum!

I say I am an artist, which I have always been, and will always be...and, I own a farm.
Aw!! These posts were so sweet, and I didn't see them until now. Thank you. I try.

You made my day!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
W2R I second that emotion!

I say "private portfolio manager" unless retired is easier.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Retired Engineer.

Once an engineer, always an engineer.
Once a knight is all I can give.

1. CFO (to DW)
2. I like what somebody suggested - "Asset Manager" - asset includes the house (do this, do that).
3. Financial Planner. Our own finances.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I was an unemployed slacker 49-55 when my first pension(non-cola) check arrived. Then I could attend a monthly lunch where retired engineers verbally re-engineered stuff(most of which was ok just as it was) and had a so-so lunch and heard a guest speaker of varing quality. We also guessed where the stock market was going - except in really down periods where 'that' subject lay dead on arrival.

heh heh heh - now I'm just retired.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #54

I'm leaning toward "N/A".
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Retired Engineer.

I'm sure being retired engineer must be an ice breaker if a person who's asking is working engineer. I'm a structural engineer, aka working stiff so when someone say their occupation is an engineer, I always ask them what type. When I was a pup (such long time ago), I always thought engineers were locomotive engineers. Then after I started working in NYC, machine operators are called operating engineers, sewage treatment workers are called process engineer...etc.

I think if I ever get to FIRE, I'll put Fortunate Engineer as occupation.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #56

I use Retired or Homemaker or Housewife. In reality, I am all three. My friends who are still working label me as "Woman who lunches".
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #57

Part-time consultant.

Actually true in my case, but it can apply to anyone.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking combination curmudgeon, drunkard, and part-time old bluesman...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #59

Most of the people who live in my building know me as the friendly yet slightly quirky guy who wanders around the house in his pajamas much of the day, fiddles with antennas outside, and stays up late listening to morse code.

Any attempt to engender respect by mentioning that I used to be a DJ/voice-over/production guy might not get too far, so I don't usually try

My story varies depending on who I'm talking to. When people ask what you do, they're not all looking for the same kind of reply. Some folk want to know what your "thing" is - what it is you really like to do, others want to know about your career, while some are just curious about where you get your money from. If I can figure out what they're really wanting to know, then I can give them the answer they want.
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
I'm sure being retired engineer must be an ice breaker if a person who's asking is working engineer. I'm a structural engineer, aka working stiff so when someone say their occupation is an engineer, I always ask them what type. When I was a pup (such long time ago), I always thought engineers were locomotive engineers. Then after I started working in NYC, machine operators are called operating engineers, sewage treatment workers are called process engineer...etc.

I think if I ever get to FIRE, I'll put Fortunate Engineer as occupation.
Just "Engineer" covers a multitude of sins. I'm actually a retired Electrical Engineer. If I get into that I let people know it was in electronics but even that is nebulously general. At least they then know I wasn't doing household circuits (can barely change a light switch). There are so many specialties. In my career I did integrated circuit design, component production, semiconductor process design, software, then finished up with hardware/software (using FPGA's).

Generally I just say I'm retired and wait for the response -- which is most often to say "how nice for you".
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote