Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
No delivery charge, nothing. Arrives in a few days. And if this does not work, the 120 day warranty to replace stands on the new mattresses. Really??
For the company to afford this suggests its mattresses are very overpriced.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Maybe so. Before I called Saatva, thinking we'd have to buy a new mattress, I went to Denver Mattress which has the Purple mattress and many orthopedic type mattresses. Spent a long time with the sales guy, testing all the types. The price on these mattresses were as expensive if not more expensive than ours. I'm not trying to sell Saatva, I have no interest in the company other than we bought a mattress from them. The warranties on the Denver Mattresses did not come close to Saatva. Just saying, it was a pleasant surprise when I called them and they are replacing for the 3rd time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't know about Satvaa but Casper donates any returned mattresses to charity. Perhaps the tax offset from that offsets the cost of returns?
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Costco has free returns too. So not necessarily overpriced more than usual. They rely on the fact that most people will eventually like their mattress and only a small percentage will be returned.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 AM   #65

Quote:
The B&M model for mattress sales is already ridiculously overpriced. The retail markup on big stuff like mattresses, luggage - crazy for years. That's why so many of these new ones have popped up where the overhead to ship it, and offer returns, is far less cost than the cut to a retailer.

And they have to offer those to be competitive with a store where you can lay on it for 3 mins and not get to return it, heh.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I've had a Saatva mattress going on 3 years now and like it a lot. Unless they came out with a new design the mattress isn't suppose to be flipped, the main inner springs/coils are on the bottom, foam layers on top.
Sorry, I didn't mean flipped like bottom to top. I meant the 180 degree turn. Feet to head.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's been a decade since I shopped for a mattress. I have recently taken a look at the Consumer Reports 2/2022 issue which rates mattresses. And, I enjoyed reading the comments on the various mattresses. But, it's been three years, which is enough time for people to change their mind.

I am thinking of one of the foam mattresses since I have heard so many good things about them, but opinions do vary. Generally I like a firm mattress. And I suppose if I get a foam mattress I will have to get a new frame? My current frame is made for two piece box spring type of combos.

Any new thoughts or updates on your mattress?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:42 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Any new thoughts or updates on your mattress?
We’re firm mattress fans as well and purchased a Ghost Bed 11” memory foam a year ago. It slightly on the firm side and has been great for us. Also got one for the guest room and friends who visited us liked it so well they also purchased. Costco has the best prices.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #69

Still a fan of the 100% Coscto Latex Mattress (Sleep Science) but I'm not sure they have it anymore. Because it's medium firm, I like a convoluted latex topper on top for a more plush feel. Latex may be the most breathable, natural foam. And it won't develop a permanent sag (unless there is a layer of something cheap on top of it).

Awhile back, the inlaws got the top of the line pranasleep (Wahe). It's amazing - both in how it feels and how much it costs! Considering how much time you spend sleeping in it - and how it makes you feel, it's probably worth it!

https://www.pranasleep.com/collectio...15322730692651
Old 07-26-2022, 10:22 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We’re firm mattress fans as well and purchased a Ghost Bed 11” memory foam a year ago. It slightly on the firm side and has been great for us. Also got one for the guest room and friends who visited us liked it so well they also purchased. Costco has the best prices.
You need a special frame for it, Correct?

Old 07-26-2022, 10:26 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes a platform, something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

or this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 07-27-2022, 05:31 AM   #72

Some people use the old foundation if it is basically a foundation that is wood construction covered by a light cloth on the top. If the wood supports are not close enough to actually "support" things evenly, you could put strips of wood the whole way.

I don't know of other members would know a reason not to do this. I can only think of humidity. But, then, the old mattress was on the old foundation....
Old 07-27-2022, 05:34 AM   #73

I'm guessing this is on the lower cost end: I slept on a Tuft and Needle mattress for quite a few nights at an Airbnb and I liked it. Supportive enough, and plush enough. Get the most expensive one. I think they have a "try it" period of time.

PS - it's not a pranasleep!
Old 07-27-2022, 05:47 AM   #74

Quote:
If you get a box spring or base (some beds provide this as an option) then you don't need a new frame. But it depends on the bed manufacturer and what they recommend.

If you are going mattress-only, foam/hybrid, whatever, then you need a frame with slats to support the mattress properly, such as a platform with slats.

We picked out a new platform slatted bed months in advance of our new mattress. It never arrived, kept getting delayed. Eventually I gave up as we really needed the mattress. Found a simple nice wooden framed king platform slatted bed at costco, for under $400, and are very happy with it, it looks like a far more expensive bed.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I am currently looking at the Sleep On Latex mattress or the Tuft & Needle Mint mattress. They don't use box springs. I have to get a new bed frame or add a bunkie board to a cheap metal frame. Both are in the $1000 range, though prices may increase these days.

The Latex requires that the slats are no more than 3 inches apart. The Tuft & Needle says no more than 5" apart. The few bunkie boards I have seen seem rather cheaply made. The slats are of the bunkie boards are notclose enough for the Latex mattress. Many of the bunkie boards seem cheaply made - Pine wood frame and slats, covered with cardboard, covered with a very thin cloth that is stapled on. I wonder how long they will last. I am having problems paying nearly $1000 for a mattress and putting it on a cheaply made bunkie board. One well made bunkie board that I found costs about 1/2 the price of buying a bed frame. So.... why bother with the bunkie?

This is getting more complicated than it looked. What else is new? What did others do for a supporting frame with your first foam mattress?

Old 07-27-2022, 04:33 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

his is getting more complicated than it looked. What else is new? What did others do for a supporting frame with your first foam mattress?

I put down some pieces of left over plywood and put my new foam mattress on that and used a bed skirt from Walmart to hide everything
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #77

We used the foundation (two twin xl) that were under the previous king mattress.

Here a link to bed frames with slats https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/bed-slats-24827/
Old 07-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #78

Here's a mattress forum. https://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/

You can put the words Bed Frame in the search box. https://www.whatsthebest-mattress.co...ring=bed+frame
Old 07-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

We are looking for a queen size and this is mind boggling. I'm reading articles that are saying many mattress reviews are paid for. How does one find a reputable firm anymore?
Old 07-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #80

If you use the vendors who allow returns and full refunds, it's less risky.