Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2022, 10:44 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

Went phase 2 thru 4. Lay -off at age 50. After 29 years learning to ER, thinking of retiring from retirement next year buying a tractor and working on "The Farm',

Heh heh heh - ?? City boy driving a tractor and trying not to be 'too' serious.
Yep, our toys just get more expensive as we age!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 06:12 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Don't believe in those phases.

I left it all behind me 12 years ago. Year long vacation. Precovid 4 or five months of international travel.

Never looked back. Very thankful for the work, the opportunities that my employer provided. But...that is in the past.

We live in, and for, the present and the future. Just do what makes you happy. Life is too short as it is.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:23 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Don't believe in those phases.

I left it all behind me 12 years ago. Year long vacation. Precovid 4 or five months of international travel.

Never looked back. Very thankful for the work, the opportunities that my employer provided. But...that is in the past.

We live in, and for, the present and the future. Just do what makes you happy. Life is too short as it is.
Good reminder. I consider that my megacorp was better than most so I'm still thankful for it. I recently passed 53 years since starting there but, of course, I've been gone almost 17 years.

So I think in terms of 2 phases. Phase 1: Megacorp to obtain the means for Phase 2: Freedom. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:21 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
I don't know what phase I am in. all I know is I am enjoying every day, doing what ever I wish, even if it is nothing. Nothing is doing something :-)
Life is pretty darn good right now.
+1000
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:26 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am in phase 1 after 2 1/2 years of retirement. Even work feels like play . I keep a steady pace with quite a few interests. Love it.
dingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in the stock market hit me in the phase phase.
I guess that's phase IV.
eyenitnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Approaching year 18, I went from phase 1 directly to phase 5 - no longer having the need to label any part of my retirement as a phase.
Excellent !!

So tired of everything always being laid out.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
defining phases sounds like project management to me
sounds like still w*rking
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Approaching year 18, I went from phase 1 directly to phase 5 - no longer having the need to label any part of my retirement as a phase.
+1

However, we have live in phase 1 for 16 years and have no plans to leave!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:54 PM   #70

Maybe for normal retirement folks.
But FIRE folks are generally not in the same boat.
In your 40's and 50's most early retired are not in "Vacation phase" mode just yet.
That comes later. And are still putting the financial plan together for the next
40+ years.
Kind of a part time job actually. If making up the paycheck is 100% up to you.
Not the same thing for many "normal" 60 yr / + old's who retire.
Just an observation.
More like 4, 3, 1 with no #2. lol lol The way I see it.

(side note, have been in the every day is Saturday phase for the past ten years)

Here are the phases, roughly paraphrased:
Phase 1 - Vacation phase
Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost
Phase 3 - a time of trial and error, trying out new things
Phase 4 - a time to reinvent and rewire
Old 06-28-2022, 06:03 PM   #71

6 years into involuntary early retirement I'm still trying to figure out if I'm unemployed or retired... though my BS bucket is still overflowing so I'm leaning more toward retired.
Maybe it's just me, but I think c*vid + inflation + near permanent societal upheaval (China just stated they will maintain Zero C*vid policies (lockdowns) for the next 5 YEARS, air travel will have a pilot shortage for a similar period, and then there is the what-shelves-are-bare-this-week/what-are-we-rioting-over-today vibe) that I don't see the phases described in the OP video as relevant anymore.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #72

Yea, the more I think about it this is for folks not in our boat.

Phase 1 - Vacation phase (I got the big pension at 60 what ever, lets party!)
Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost (Was a big fish in a small pond, my job made me feel important)
Phase 3 - a time of trial and error, trying out new things (Well, they are getting along without me some how, what do I do now?)
Phase 4 - a time to reinvent and rewire (I am bored, and need to start over to feel important again) lol lol

Probably text book / 35 -40 year employee / normal retirement situation.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:46 PM   #73

I think I am doing this in a different order.

First was Phase 2. I went back to work for 14 months and got over it.
And I think for the past 4 years I have been in Phase 3
I don't know if I will ever feel like Phase 1 because while working, most of my vacations were traveling back to see relatives - so really not much of a vacation.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:03 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

only retired 2 years so still on phase one. I honestly don't see me myself in phase 2, 3 or 4. I have too much to do to feel lost or loss. I have enough activities to keep me busy to seek out new things, unless they come to me organically. Although, I'm always open to new things that friends suggest as long as they plan it and pick me up when it's time to go. I'm not sure what number 4 (reinvent and rewire) is as i'm too lazy to watch the video. But to reinvent and rewire to me would mean that I wasn't perfect the way I am and as a famous philosophical sailor once said "I yam what I yam"
Out_the_Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:17 AM   #75

Pretty much blended 1 and 4 right from the start. Never had a 2. Very quickly found meaning and purpose in travel and photography, which I had been doing, but could now do more, without the irritation and disruption from having to go to w**k.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:31 AM   #76

All four phases blur into one year for us. We vacation part of the year, feel lost part of the year, try out new things part of the year, and generally at the end of the year, reinvent and rewire for next year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:02 PM   #77

As evidenced by the comments here, those are not phases but descriptions of what folks do in retirement. There is no reproducible 'progression'....at least in my experience of 2 retirements so far .
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Re; 4 Stages of retirement-helps to know not the only one hit by the bus
Old 06-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe

Re; 4 Stages of retirement-helps to know not the only one hit by the bus

Great post!

A great summary of an important aspect of retiring that many, including myself, miss.

Happily I'm in Phase 3, after being run over by the Phase 2 bus a bunch of times over the last three years, some of the time from the "Phase 3-slip back into Phase 2" cycle mentioned in the talk. One of the hardest for me was the perceived loss of identity, that I am now invisible to the working world, which became a big benefit now enjoyed. Accepting I am "old" is also freeing and a benefit, instead of being depressed about decline.

Knowing these phases and that they are common to the process of being "retired" helps. Many texts on psychology talk about observing, seeing yourself from the outside in the third person. One author describes this as "going to the balcony" and watching your own thoughts. Outlining these Four Phases of Retirement helps me go to my balcony, and go deeper on where this journey is taking me.

Thanks!
timeismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:27 AM   #79

Different levels of "stockholm syndrome", can keep you from feeling like everyday is Saturday. Hopefully those folks get over it soon. Was the worst 5 minutes of my life.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:47 AM   #80

Trying to put people in boxes like this strikes me as just pointless and without merit. Our journey has been a mixture with not a lot of "lost." Covid screwed up the vacation part. Now we're getting ready for our final visit to Drs. for DW of 52 years to get finalized diagnosis of Alzheimers. What f__king phase is that? She's doing just fine, me not so much. 71.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote