Join Early Retirement Today

What "phase" of retirement are you in?
Old 06-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What "phase" of retirement are you in?

I just came across this recent TED talk where the presenter suggests that there are 4 phases of retirement:

Here are the phases, roughly paraphrased:
Phase 1 - Vacation phase
Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost
Phase 3 - a time of trial and error, trying out new things
Phase 4 - a time to reinvent and rewire

Having retired at the beginning of the pandemic, I feel like Phase 1 completely slipped by without feeling that sense of "vacation" at all quite frankly.

I'd put myself at Phase 2, trying my darndest to get to Phase 3. It's been a touch Phase 2 in general and I'm ready to start enjoying things a bit more.

I know there are those of you who started out in Phase 1 and are still there...Or who jumped from Phase 1 to Phase 4. My hat is off to you!! Tell me your secret!!!

So how about you? Where do you fall? And, if you experienced Phase 2, how long would you say you were stuck there?
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2022, 03:54 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Ten years in…still stuck in Phase 1. Must be doing it wrong.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finishing up phase 4 now but I think I may slip back to phase 2. Maybe I just got them in the wrong order...
Old 06-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Simultaneously Phases 1 and 3 here - never seemed to have a problem with Phase 2 or feel the need for Phase 4.

I am a deeply, deeply lazy person. Sitting on my fat ass pursuing my various hobbies has felt just fine to me for the past 7 years and I see no reason for that to change.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #5

13 years and well into phase 4 went directly from phase 1
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Phase 2. I run out of things to do by mid afternoon and feel lost the rest of the day. So I take a nap.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:08 PM   #7

Retired 26 years. Still in Phase 1
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:11 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Approaching year 18, I went from phase 1 directly to phase 5 - no longer having the need to label any part of my retirement as a phase.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm envious all you Phase 1 people!!!
In all honestly, this past year and a half has brought so many challenges that I wish we could just start all over.

Now, there's a thought...
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Approaching year 18, I went from phase 1 directly to phase 5 - no longer having the need to label any part of my retirement as a phase.
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #11

defining phases sounds like project management to me
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #12

- collapse mode
- babysit mode
- recovery mode

- next will be back to babysit mode

- we will try to visit one of our DSs this fall, but it depends on how DGD is doing.

- probably no appreciable vacations prior to next year.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still in the Wannabe phase.
Good video though. Thanks.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Have never been in Phase 2. Never bored.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+2. Don’t know or care, life is good, that’s all I know. I did watch the video a while back, and thought who cares then…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #16
Administrator

I hope I am fortunate enough to live one third of my life in retirement. I was ready for retirement the day I left work and I have not a single regret. This is the greatest time in my life. I am not lost for things (old and new) to amuse myself and I see no need for reinvention. I just enjoy every single day as it comes and I do what I want to do when I want to do it.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I hope I am fortunate enough to live one third of my life in retirement. I was ready for retirement the day I left work and I have not a single regret. This is the greatest time in my life. I am not lost for things (old and new) to amuse myself and I see no need for reinvention. I just enjoy every single day as it comes and I do what I want to do when I want to do it.
well said as usual.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady saver View Post
I just came across this recent TED talk where the presenter suggests that there are 4 phases of retirement:
[...]
Here are the phases, roughly paraphrased:
Phase 1 - Vacation phase
Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost
Phase 3 - a time of trial and error, trying out new things
Phase 4 - a time to reinvent and rewire

Having retired at the beginning of the pandemic, I feel like Phase 1 completely slipped by without feeling that sense of "vacation" at all quite frankly.

I'd put myself at Phase 2, trying my darndest to get to Phase 3. It's been a touch Phase 2 in general and I'm ready to start enjoying things a bit more.

I know there are those of you who started out in Phase 1 and are still there...Or who jumped from Phase 1 to Phase 4. My hat is off to you!! Tell me your secret!!!

So how about you? Where do you fall? And, if you experienced Phase 2, how long would you say you were stuck there?
I think the speaker on this video is having a terrible time adjusting to retirement! My retirement has not been like that at all. The first year (or two, or three) I was busy shedding layer after layer of work stress, sort of like peeling an onion. There was a lot more work stress to shed than I realized. But hey, shedding it was SO much more fun than accumulating it at work had been. After I got done with that, I pretty much just jumped into retirement feet first, and have been having a wonderful time - - enjoying each day to its fullest, and having a great time doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, every day.

If I experienced phase 2 at all, it was about 30 seconds long on my retirement day back in 2009, while I walked from my workplace to my car right after turning in my badge... I admit a tear fell down my cheek. But once I started my car I knew I was on my way to the life I had always wanted. For a day or so I didn't exactly know what to do with all the oceans of wonderful free time, so I felt a little bit like a fish out of water. But that was over as soon as I decided to start each day by going to the gym.

Since then, like REWahoo, I haven't felt the need to label my experience into phases.
Quote:
Old 06-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

no offense to the OP, but I always find these type of videos silly...

reminds me of those nonsensical tests I would have to take when I was working to find out what my "personality" was and how that could help me attract a certain type of client, blah, blah , blah blah , blah

I was in the happy phase when I retired 5+ years ago and I'm still in it today...retirement for me is an indescribable feeling of freedom...thats the phase I'm in!

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:32 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't bother watching the video because the idea of phases seems silly. Is the presenter claiming that all retirees go through these phases? Because based on the responses here and my own experience he's wrong. If his claim is "these are the phases I went through" then that's fine but not worthy of a Ted talk.
punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote