Join Early Retirement Today

What time of year did you retire at?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What time of year did you retire at?

I have been planning to retire in 2020 around June but, now am wondering what's the best time of year?

I am confident in our stash but, will rerun numbers.
My thought was retiring at June allows me to enjoy the Summer in retirement.
Also, I have a FA I talk to who discourages retiring at end of the year for reasons other than financial. He argues many are prone to depression after leaving work and facing a winter.

Not sure but ... was curious what other folks have done, and for what reasons?

Thx
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My last day was April 30th just wanted to be gone before my spring time adventures started. If you are eligible for ACA it would be wise to leave in January for income purposes thou.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I had planned on retiring on my 30th anniversary. There was nothing in it for me except a convenient date. A year prior my new VP decided he'd show off his leadership skills. I "retired" a couple weeks later at the beginning of May. [emoji6]

I'd tend to avoid year end for the same reasons. I'm prone to seasonal affective disorder(SAD) and respect the short days. When is your birthday? Best present you'll ever give yourself.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also retired at the end of April - end of the FY. A clean break from incentive plans, for both me and the rest of the leadership team (especially those taking on my old group). We love Summer, Winter, Fall and Spring here, so seasonally I couldn't lose.

If of interest, you can look at the Class of 2019 thread where I documented all the retirement months for 56+ of us.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #5

I was lucky to quit near the end of the year. I had my BS bucket full and was just waiting for an opportunity, since the smallcorp had recently been bought by a megacorp. I concentrated on using up my allotted vacation time, and when the big layoff happened (just as the rumor mill had predicted), I was the happiest guy on the list. It was in October, a beautiful time of year, but I never even considered that factor.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

I retired in June and it was the perfect time of year for me.

I'll never forget how great it felt to be outside hiking and biking everyday in the warm summer air instead of inside under fluorescent lights in an over air conditioned environment in ridiculous meetings.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I retired in February. But I went on a leave of absence starting in October or November of the prior year, and retired while I was on leave. I gave my two week notice two weeks prior to the date on which I was supposed to return to the office.

The February date was mainly because I had some stock options worth being employed for that vested on that date.

The leave of absence benefitted me a couple of ways:

1. It was a trial retirement. If it wasn't working out, I could just return to work.
2. I still got to keep several of my employee benefits during that time, so I kept my stock options, earned some vacation, kept my health insurance, and could use the employee gym.
3. I could retire from my leave of absence and avoid them having any sort of going away activities for me (which I would dislike), or, in the alternative, avoid them not having any sort of going away activities for me (which would make me sad).
4. I also could leisurely remove all my personal possessions from the office without anyone noticing.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

As a teacher my last day of work was about June 20. However, I remained under contract in terms of benefits, etc. until August 30. The district also withheld a chunk of my salary and sent me a paycheck check for July and August even though I had earned it all as of June 20.

So, officially I was retired and started receiving my solid gold platinum plated brass and wood pension payments starting on September 1.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

I retired in the middle of May. It just worked out that way. That was the time of year everything came together for me and so I went with it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

In order to qualify for specific health benefits, I had to work until age 60. Retired on my birthday, just before the end of the year holiday season.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired in October; wanted to max out social security for the year. If you leave early in year you pay into social security but it won't count for any of your top 35 years so just throwing away money.

Marc

Roald Amundsen
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #12

Officially retired on July 1st but took pretty much the whole month of June and half of May to chew up vacation time.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #13
Administrator

Retired June 1st. It was great to go into summer with all my time to myself.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I retired at the end of October (2008). I had become ineligible for any additional company stock shares given out at the end of December because I had reduced my weekly hours worked the year before. (With the market downturn, they ended up not giving out any new shares anyway.) It wasn't worthwhile to work another 5 months to get my annual bonus in April. And the thought of commuting through another crummy winter was a bad one.

I was already on COBRA since mid-2007 because I had reduced my weekly hours worked. The thought of still working but having to buy my own HI outside of work (and paying much more than on COBRA) was a bad one.

And, by coincidence, leaving on October 31st happened to match right down to the day of the week the same month and day the company had ended my telecommuting deal in 2003. That change, I knew, would be my ultimate undoing and push me harder toward my ER. I found the 5-year anniversary of that change a nice one worthy of celebration.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I retired at the end of February 2019. I did not want to retire in Winter, so I worked a couple of months into 2019. Had I worked any longer than that, I would have made too much money to make my ACA premiums affordable.

March was rainy and cold here last year, but it was a good time to start to unwind. I'm glad I had a full Spring, Summer and Fall to enjoy. After experiencing my first winter as a retiree, I'd agree with your FA -- try to avoid the end/beginning of the year if you can.
toddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #16

I retired in mid January after my profit sharing was deposited in my 401k. Two days later we were on a plane for a 2 week tour of South America. It was summer down there.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #17

If I'm not offered a PT option (in that case, I'll step into OMY land as the pay/work/life balance would be pretty darn good), I plan to make my move this summer... unless blocked, I'll burn leave so that I'm working 2 days a week with formal separation in early October. That will allow me to stretch my benefits a bit longer and pad my cash a bit more than a straight quit/pay out. My working goals this last year are to save enough cash to fund my expenses for the year and make the transition easy so I don't burn bridges... I'll hit the first goal in July.
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #18

About this time, I maxed out 401K contributions, also did a Roth and paid little taxes, so my Roth was funded with tax free $. For a couple of extra months of work you get a nice pop in retirement savings.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #19
gone traveling

May 2, 2019. I fired my largest customer of 20 years.With zero notice.
My brother sent me my inheritance a week earlier which moved us from [very good] FI money to FU money.
We went on vacation to Puerto Vallarta, México the next day. I did not answer the phone.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

I retired in January the day before my 60Th birthday .It was just when the bullshit meter hit high.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote