Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What to reply to "what do you do?" when FIREd
Old 03-08-2005, 02:15 AM   #121

The couple of times I was "called up" on stage were
a real flop, unless you count my "pals" laughing at my
distress. Guess I can only entertain myself

When I worked, TV was my "drug of choice" also
(along with gin and tonics ). I think I watched a lot more TV when I was working, or at least I was sitting
there with the TV on. In fact, I know I did. I will confess
though that most of what is on TV turns me off. OTOH,
we don't have cable. I suspect my viewing would go
way up if we did, which is another reason why we don't
have it.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The majority of my TV watching is sports and between HBO and Showtime there are quite a few specials (documentaries, etc.) during the year. *My wife and I both really enjoy stand-up comedy, and we have two channels that pick that up. *Have always enjoyed stand-up, as it has an element that is comparable to sports. *No safety net, and nobody to bail you out. *
In any case, we are pretty selective in what we watch, and when we find that it is enjoyable.
OK, thanks. I guess I have too many things pinging around my brain to watch TV. I'm even restless during Star Trek...

I did standup for eight years as a military instructor. I loved it then and I still love it now. True, you're allowed to carry a prepared text and occasionally hide behind a podium, but none of that is any help when you're teaching the students who are going to become the next generation of instructors. Or when you ask the loaded question "Any questions?"

Back in the early days of LCD projectors I was briefing a class of senior O-6s. The projector bulb blew out in a noisy jet of flame and the carcass actually sustained combustion. It had been quite a few years since any of us had actuall fought a fire (instead of running the fire drills) but the training kicked right in before I had time to think about it-- I yanked the plug, blew out the flames like a birthday candle, and put the class on break while we got a new projector. (The shakes didn't start until much later.) After the course the students' comment sheets complimented the matter-of-fact resolution but they sounded a little concerned about the "happens all the time" attitude...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Jarhead's post also reminded me of how important it is to try to take care of your knees. What young kid gives a thought to his knees? But sooner or later his knees are likely to be the limiting organ when it comes to sports and physical pursuits... Mikey
Any recommendations?

I love to play basketball. I'm inching closer to 30 and my bounce-back time is ever-increasing.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Back in the early days of LCD projectors I was briefing a class of senior O-6s. The projector bulb blew out in a noisy jet of flame and the carcass actually sustained combustion.
About 12 years ago I accompanied my then geologist girlfriend to a work dinner/presentation put on by her company. In the middle of the presentation, the bulb of course blew out and within a few moments, at least 5 of the geologists were hovering over it trying to figure out how to get the old bulb out.

I saw my opening.

Come on, tell me you dont know what I yelled out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll bite... "How many geologists does it take to change a light bulb?"

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Ding Ding Ding
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Any recommendations?

I love to play basketball. *I'm inching closer to 30 and my bounce-back time is ever-increasing.
This is hard, because you will have to find out what helps you. For kids, think twice about paying contact sports, if you aren't professional grade talent and size. There are other ways to get girls.

When playing, stay low. Knees are way more durable with some bend in them.

Be careful in the weight room. Lifting weights is the best thing I ever did for my knees, but I do it really carefully. I have a special bar that lets me do full squat deadlifts with my butt way back and lower legs perp to ground through whole lift. This really strengthens the quads and the hams, and keeps your kneejoint well braced by muscle. If you use machines in the weight room, don't use ones that don't feel good. I hate hack-squats; I think they put a lot of shear stress on the kneee. If you use a typical leg press machine, put your legs high on the footboard, to get your hips and hamstrings into it, not just the quads. *Then do something primarily for your hamstrings too.

Don't do your sport activity on concrete or other hard floors. If you need foot twist (like fast dancing) don't dance or perform on sticky floor surfaces. Even for day to day aerobic exercise, think first- is there a way I can do this without unduly jarring my knees? If there isn't, consider doing something else instead.

Anyway, I'm a few weeks away from 64 and I can go all out pretty well. I can do drops and lifts in swing dancing, and go from full squat to standing in one beat of a 240 bpm song. I can play tennis hard. But I don't run long distances, don't ever run on the road or do anything more vigorous than shoot baskets on a typical outdoor court.

I hope it keeps working for me; and maybe some of it might work for you. It isn't medical advice (as if you didn't know that)-it's just what has worked for me.

Mikey
Old 03-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #128

I walk the dog, drive the truck, take frequent naps, and
try not to lift anything heavier than a cocktail glass

JG
Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting thread.

My $0.02.

Its more about becoming financially independent than retiring. I believe financial independence is where the freedom lies.

Once you have the financial independence, you can choose to retire, or work, or start a business, or take a few years off, or whatever. But you have the choice.

I'm young and have just become FI (almost 24). I have no idea what I'll say to people who ask what i do, but I imagine it will probably be something like "I'm taking some time off".
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike
Very interesting thread.

My $0.02.

Its more about becoming financially independent than retiring. I believe financial independence is where the freedom lies.

Once you have the financial independence, you can choose to retire, or work, or start a business, or take a few years off, or whatever. But you have the choice.

I'm young and have just become FI (almost 24). I have no idea what I'll say to people who ask what i do, but I imagine it will probably be something like "I'm taking some time off".
At 24 it's definitely About FI!

- When you're 54, it about retiring. The thought of doing anything for money and having to be somewhere at a specified time, gives me the heebie jeebies. This probably comes from not working for over 4 years, but I have taken a liking to the sheer freedom of running my own life! 8)
Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #131

Cybermike,
Welcome to the board -- loved this thread earlier this year -- thanks for resuscitating it.

I guess Cut-Throat has 7 years on me, so I can't say how much more slowing down I'll be doing when I, too, am 54, but for me it is also all about FI. Basically, FI has allowed me to do all sorts of interesting things that I could never do if I had to work all the time. A few of those things make a bit of money every now and then, but most don't. So it has never felt like "work". But for me it isn't about 'retiring' if by that you mean sitting in front of the barca-lounger all day.

One thought, though for you: my budget at 24 was a fraction of what I have learned to 'need' in the intervening years -- family and moving into the middle years brings a new level of annual spending. So just be prepared for the fact that staying FI at 34 and 44 may require more money than it does today...

Old 11-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #132

Quote:
I guess Cut-Throat has 7 years on me, so I can't say how much more slowing down I'll be doing when I, too, am 54, but for me it is also all about FI.
Don't confuse retirement with 'slowing down'. Ask Nords.
Retirement means probably being more active physically than when you were working. Being FI and still opting to work may in fact be slowing down.

Retirement = Doing your own thing instead of a work thing. 8)
Old 11-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #133

CT- Agreed. I would say that wading through streams and heaving lines and flies at fish all day is a far cry from retiring or even slowing down.

Maybe the problem is the word 'retiring' if it implies hanging up your spurs and rocking on the front porch. Fishing several weeks a year sounds more like 'nirvanah'.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:00 AM   #134

I don't use the word retiring when I talk about it, I get all kinds of disapproving reactions from family and friends. But, when I use the phrase "when I quit working" it seems to be different. Strange huh?

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote