Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You really can't go wrong with this method:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-katzs-recipe
Thanks, yes I had that page bookmarked.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You really can't go wrong with this method:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-katzs-recipe
Great page and love Meathead and his site. Although my mouth was watering for some pastrami, the process seemed a bit daunting.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:42 AM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

I love smoked meat but the thread title talks about curing so I figured I should shake things up a little around here. So I present an ugly picture of some lap yuk drying on my balcony. Cantonese air dried pork belly. 2-3 days soaking in a mixture of dark soy sauce, ginger, star anise, sichuan pepper, rice wine, and beiju. Then hung to dry for a week before it's ready to use.

A little bit of cold smoke would be good on it but right now my only smoking option is a big propane grill and a basket of wood chips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lap yuk.jpg (433.0 KB, 27 views)
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:08 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
A little bit of cold smoke would be good on it but right now my only smoking option is a big propane grill and a basket of wood chips.
You might look into an A-MAZE-N smoker. Several different designs, and they work quite well.

A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking, 5 x 8 Inch
Old 01-15-2022, 05:46 AM   #225
Recycles dryer sheets

In June I leave teaching and retire. But that also means that I'm currently trying to get rid of things because in June I'll have to leave Seoul and head back to the US.

So any experiments in adding cold smoke to lap yuk will have to wait for next fall I suppose.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:07 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
I love smoked meat but the thread title talks about curing so I figured I should shake things up a little around here. So I present an ugly picture of some lap yuk drying on my balcony. Cantonese air dried pork belly. 2-3 days soaking in a mixture of dark soy sauce, ginger, star anise, sichuan pepper, rice wine, and beiju. Then hung to dry for a week before it's ready to use.

Wow, that looks amazingly good and tasty!
Old 01-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks.

A Taiwanese friend got me into making it although my recipe is purely from the web.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:10 PM   #228
Give me a forum ...

We're looking for fresh snow in the a.m. I think I'll wait a little longer to do anything more than a burger or chops on the grill.

Just thankful to have a screen porch with two smokers and a grill on it. We cook outside all year.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #229
Administrator

I smoked baby back ribs on Thursday. Way too cold to try smoking today.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:46 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We cook outside all year.
Same here. I'm extremely fortunate to have a covered patio, and my BGE is just two steps from the door. I cook on it all year round, even in the snow, and probably half of what we eat comes from it.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

OK, so I finally found a smaller rib eye roast and bought it before Xmas.

The weather finally broke today, so it was time.

Did a 250 degree smoke to 110 degrees, then reverse seared on gas grill to med-rare. Served with horseradish cream and our best (oldest) cab in the cellar.

Ribeye roast, with rub about to place on smoker, after sear, sliced, one of the inside slices plus some in between rib-bone meat. Had to share that big slice. It was awesome - especially with the horseradish cream.

Overall from Steven Raichlen smoked prime rib in Project Smoke, including the horseradish cream.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

Despite of the -10 C temperatures today, I cleared 15 cm of overnight snow off the smoker and smoked a pork shoulder today. After it was done, I gave it the full eastern North Carolina treatment with cole slaw, Wilber's BBQ sauce and hush puppies on the side. Yum.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #233
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK, so I finally found a smaller rib eye roast and bought it before Xmas.

The weather finally broke today, so it was time.

Did a 250 degree smoke to 110 degrees, then reverse seared on gas grill to med-rare. Served with horseradish cream and our best (oldest) cab in the cellar.

Ribeye roast, with rub about to place on smoker, after sear, sliced, one of the inside slices plus some in between rib-bone meat. Had to share that big slice. It was awesome - especially with the horseradish cream.

Overall from Steven Raichlen smoked prime rib in Project Smoke, including the horseradish cream.
That is one fine looking prime rib. I like the bone in myself. I use the traditional oven method, searing it first then very slow til it gets to 115 or so then removing and covering til med. rare. I've never had the guts to put a $100 piece of delicious meat in my pellet stove yet, nor tried the reverse searing method. Its on my list to do this summer.
Stormy Kromer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Next time - it will likely be a while - I’m thinking of just turning up the heat on my pellet smoker once the rib roast reaches 110-115 degrees internally. I usually sear with direct heat on my gas grill. This approach makes sense with a cowboy rib-eye and tri-tips. But the larger roast is probably better off with indirect heat.

This video was very informative for me. I’d watched it years ago, and finally got to try it!
Next beef on the smoker project will probably be a tenderloin roast. But I’ve got other projects lined up - duck, oysters Rockefeller on the grill…..
Old 01-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Skewered up a pound of shrimp and toasted them up on the hibachi last night. With salad and baked potatoes and melted butter to dip, made an excellent meal for us.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:32 PM   #236
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Skewered up a pound of shrimp and toasted them up on the hibachi last night. With salad and baked potatoes and melted butter to dip, made an excellent meal for us.
Your killen me.

I have been ice fishing for seafood here for a week. Nothing on the ice...

I love shrimp. Trade you an elk tenderloin for some shrimp. Better yet, cook them at the same time.
Stormy Kromer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

I found a new place to blow that dough! For my “oyster project” - I’ve been grilling oysters but the gulf coast oysters are too small. So I need some Pacific NW oysters. I’ve actually had the Hama Hama oysters raw at a bar in Seattle - they were lovely!
Best Oyster Delivery Services: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/best-o...rvices-5182257
Old 01-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Hey, these were just grocery shrimp, didn't net them on the boat eh?

Still hella good -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:53 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

OK! We really scored with the griller oysters. They were so huge, and fabulous! I really felt like I hit the jackpot because this was exactly what I was looking for when I searched for ordering live oysters online.

After opening put a dollop of garlic basil butter on each and grilled a bit more more. Delicious!

For a sense of scale - that’s a Weber Genesis E-320 grill, which is not small. Two dozen oysters - barely room for them.

BTW - those are the Steven Raichlen stainless steel seafood/oyster racks. Super handy for grilling oysters on the half shell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8CB3132-734B-453F-9533-84D5AD61B2EE.jpeg (138.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg 64F740E7-76A1-4B5A-8231-1E883F322127.jpeg (102.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg B10251DF-A1A4-4EFA-B480-A807F70B4EB5.jpeg (105.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-04-2022, 06:57 PM   #240
Administrator

Last week (well actually over a period of about ten days culminating last Friday), the young wife and I brined a brisket to make our own corned beef. Then I smoked it to make pastrami. The young wife baked fresh rye bread, and last Friday we had a splendid Reuben sandwich (with plenty of leftovers). I think we'll do that again.