Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2022, 10:49 AM   #2001
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Wow! Beautiful tray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Nice. I like the taper of the tops of handles. Did you cut the taper on the table saw before shaping the corners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, that caught my eye too. It really adds interest to the piece. Subtle, really nice.

And while I sort of cringe at painting wood - I just really like the grain and changes in depth with a natural or nicely stained/dyed finish - I've done rattle can black on a few items, and was really happy with how they turned out. Looks great on this as well.

-ERD50
Thanks. The tapers took some thought. I didn't want to rip the taper for the thickness on each end piece - didn't seem safe ripping a 3" wide board on an angle vertically. So I started with a 6" wide board being both sides as one board. First drilled the handle holes with a forstner bit, then jigsaw and router the hand holes.

Then I cut the thickness tapers ripping the board vertically on the table saw - tapers left and right on both sides because it was both sides connected - total 4 tapers. Then I cut the 4 horizontal tapers on the table saw. Then ripped the 6" wide board down the middle to make 2 - 3" tall end pieces. Then rounded over the pieces by sanding.

Hope that makes sense. SIL has a similar tray and wanted another somewhat like it - so I just copied the taper idea from her old tray.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #2002
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks. The tapers took some thought. I didn't want to rip the taper for the thickness on each end piece - didn't seem safe ripping a 3" wide board on an angle vertically. So I started with a 6" wide board being both sides as one board. First drilled the handle holes with a forstner bit, then jigsaw and router the hand holes.

Then I cut the thickness tapers ripping the board vertically on the table saw - tapers left and right on both sides because it was both sides connected - total 4 tapers. Then I cut the 4 horizontal tapers on the table saw. Then ripped the 6" wide board down the middle to make 2 - 3" tall end pieces. Then rounded over the pieces by sanding.

Hope that makes sense. SIL has a similar tray and wanted another somewhat like it - so I just copied the taper idea from her old tray.
Yep, totally followed you. Agree that it is a cringe worthy cut...

I was a little bored on another sweltering day and knocked out a customer laundry table top with shelf...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220724_130905088.jpg (557.8 KB, 52 views)
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:17 AM   #2003
Moderator Emeritus

^Nice! Good job on the rounded edge banding.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:47 AM   #2004
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those are some beautiful pieces of work folks!! I always appreciate you posting your work.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #2005
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Yep, totally followed you. Agree that it is a cringe worthy cut...

I was a little bored on another sweltering day and knocked out a customer laundry table top with shelf...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^Nice! Good job on the rounded edge banding.
+1 I'm curious about that curved edge banding. It looks to be pretty thick (3/16"?) not just a veneer edge. How did you get that tight curve?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:23 PM   #2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1 I'm curious about that curved edge banding. It looks to be pretty thick (3/16"?) not just a veneer edge. How did you get that tight curve?

-ERD50
Here's the installation pic. It's just standard glued edge banding. Putting a 2" diameter is a fairly easy way to conform the banding...

The raised area is to clear & clean up the water lines, drain & dryer power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220725_152602122_HDR.jpg (369.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #2007

A little change of pace from the great woodworking and construction posts - I knitted this sweater!

B767035F-0DB0-4A64-A9BC-73232E9CC1D3_1_201_a.jpeg

676B73EA-CADC-4195-8BE4-D4D52A031C09_1_201_a.jpg

It's my first major "colorwork" (also known as Fair Isle) piece and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It's a cotton and alpaca blend yarn so it's perfect for Texas summers. I picked the accent colors to coordinate with the skirt, but I think it will look even better with denim.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #2008
Moderator Emeritus

^Wow! - very nice. I'm stunned that people can take a bunch of yarn and produce a sweater like you've made with all of that detail.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #2009

Nice sweater!
DW has a friend who decided to knit a Fair Isle sweater for her very first knitting project. It is still a source of great mirth.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #2010

MBAustin, Beautiful work.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #2011
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
A little change of pace from the great woodworking and construction posts - I knitted this sweater!

Attachment 43136

Attachment 43137

It's my first major "colorwork" (also known as Fair Isle) piece and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It's a cotton and alpaca blend yarn so it's perfect for Texas summers. I picked the accent colors to coordinate with the skirt, but I think it will look even better with denim.
WOW! Those are beautiful!!! The colors are magnificent and what talent you have. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
MBAustin, Beautiful work.
Agree. Very nice. Very intricate. Does go with the skirt nicely.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:36 AM   #2013
Full time employment: Posting here.

That looks great.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:31 AM   #2014
Dryer sheet aficionado

The result of this fun project is being enjoyed thoroughly during such a hot summer: 32x16 pool with 16x8 deck.

OfficeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:40 AM   #2015
Give me a forum ...

OfficeSpace, that is an awesome project and looks great. I bet there will be many fun times at the pool. Beautiful!!!
Old 08-08-2022, 05:10 AM   #2016
Give me a forum ...

Made an Ulu a token of friendship and appreciation for a guy that I bought the ranch from. The knife is anything but perfect and crude in many ways but is handmade and a gift from the heart. The land was homesteaded by his family back in the homestead act era.

I have always been appreciative of his willingness to share/sell a huge part of their family history. I will get the knife in the mail today.

I made it from found wood. It is a diamond willow nugget. The diamond willow has an interesting life in how the diamonds are created. It is a fungus that makes the diamonds in the wood. It can take 10 to 20 years for these processes to happen. The willow to get this size and to have the diamonds takes many years. This wood I use have been dead for over 35 years already who knows how long before that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9955.jpg (136.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-08-2022, 05:16 AM   #2017
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeSpace View Post
The result of this fun project is being enjoyed thoroughly during such a hot summer: 32x16 pool with 16x8 deck.

Wow - I don't know which is better - the pool or the site!
Old 08-08-2022, 05:17 AM   #2018
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Made an Ulu a token of friendship and appreciation for a guy that I bought the ranch from. The knife is anything but perfect and crude in many ways but is handmade and a gift from the heart. The land was homesteaded by his family back in the homestead act era.

I have always been appreciative of his willingness to share/sell a huge part of their family history. I will get it in the knife in the mail today.

I made it from found wood. It is a diamond willow nugget. The diamond willow has an interesting life in how the diamonds are created. It is a fungus that makes the diamonds in the wood. It can take 10 to 20 years for these processes to happen. The willow to get this size and to have the diamonds takes many years. This wood I use have been dead for over 35 years already who knows how long before that.
Superb! Your artistic skills are incredible!
Old 08-08-2022, 05:29 AM   #2019
Give me a forum ...

Well, thank you Ronstar!
Old 08-08-2022, 06:58 AM   #2020

Been hiding lately in CO. Nice projects from everyone...