Join Early Retirement Today

What We're Making
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #461
Moderator Emeritus

What We're Making

I agree with others. paint or re-veneer. Or tear the top off and put on a new one.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Re-veneer it yourself. It's not hard.

-ERD50
That's what hubby was thinking. We don't the know first thing about that, but glad to hear it isn't hard.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Use an very warm iron to melt/loosen glue, peel off old veneer, scrape/sand old glue, reapply new veneer. Can be purchased on line, or at your local Rockler's.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Use an very warm iron to melt/loosen glue, peel off old veneer, scrape/sand old glue, reapply new veneer. Can be purchased on line, or at your local Rockler's.
Here's some information on applying veneer. I wouldn't make my own as he suggests, it's reasonable to buy.

Fascinating stuff really. We had a veneer mill way back. Funny how it's sliced so easily on a huge razor blade, about 17' long and 12" wide.

https://www.wwgoa.com/article/repair...on-an-antique/
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #465
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
That's what hubby was thinking. We don't the know first thing about that, but glad to hear it isn't hard.
It really isn't that hard. The only difficult part can be finding a veneer that matches the rest of the table. I've got a water stained old desk that has a mahogany veneer, and I can't find a decent match. Eventually I will, though.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #466
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Just a heads up. Don't use your good clothes iron for this. Buy a cheapo so if you get glue on it you don't ruin the good one. Don't ask me (or DW) how I know.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #467
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
For all of you woodworkers....

We recently purchased bedroom furniture via craigslist which we thought was solid wood...but unfortunately the very top section actually was a veneer (we are novice refinishers!!!). Well, hubby sanded down below the veneer exposing several sections of particle board. Lesson learned!!!!

I've done some research and tried to patch the areas with stainable wood filler, but I think it is a lost cause. The wood filler ended up being a darker color than the wood (I was hoping it would dry lighter. oops).

I think this is a lost cause, and we need to throw in the towel and cover it with a table runner. Hubby would like to keep trying...any suggestions for him?

Here's the sad state of affairs:
DW has recently done some staining/antiquing of furniture. The gel stains can be quite dark and would cover the areas of concern. You could stain the top dark, and have a contrast that looks quite nice.

This is a link to the kinds of stains she has used: https://redposie.com/product-categor...g-stains-dyes/

Just a thought.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #468
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It really isn't that hard. The only difficult part can be finding a veneer that matches the rest of the table. I've got a water stained old desk that has a mahogany veneer, and I can't find a decent match. Eventually I will, though.
That maybe difficult. Over time several different species have been marketed as Mahogany. This fellow seems to be confident in his knowledge. Good luck.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...s-the-lowdown/
Old 02-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's what I'm wondering...how do I find a good match? So hard to know if something online will look ok. I am going to see if any place locally sells veneer.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
DW has recently done some staining/antiquing of furniture. The gel stains can be quite dark and would cover the areas of concern. You could stain the top dark, and have a contrast that looks quite nice.

This is a link to the kinds of stains she has used: https://redposie.com/product-categor...g-stains-dyes/

Just a thought.
Thanks! That's an interesting idea. Will run it by hubby.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #471

Quote:
That's what I'm wondering...how do I find a good match? So hard to know if something online will look ok. I am going to see if any place locally sells veneer.
So, based upon the picture I posted, do any of you have a guess as to what kind of wood this may be? The person I bought it from said she had bought it second hand, and the person she bought it from told her it was "Italian wood".

That's all I know.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #472
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like pine to me.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #473
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Looks like pine to me.
+1
Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #474
Recycles dryer sheets

It's hard to say for sure, but it looks like Scots pine (pinus sylvestris). If the piece was imported from Europe, it's a good bet it's Scots pine. Also known as European pine. I don't know if you can buy Scots pine veneer in the US.

Most veneer you find in the US will be white pine, which is a so-so match. You could try yellow pine, which will come closer in appearance although the grain is a bit more pronounced. Radiata pine is similar but the grain is less pronounced.
msieweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #475
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, based upon the picture I posted, do any of you have a guess as to what kind of wood this may be? The person I bought it from said she had bought it second hand, and the person she bought it from told her it was "Italian wood".

That's all I know.
It is a soft wood, and you can spend many hours trying to fix this. What I might do is paint the top in a contrasting color, allowing some of the grain to show through. Then coat it or cover with glass. Place some family pictures under glass, and go on with life.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #476

Great advice everyone! Thank you!

For now, we have had to put the project on hold as we have visitors coming in to stay for a week. Not sure if we will try to re-veneer it or paint it, yet - but appreciate all of the ideas.

FYI, the dresser says it was made in Brazil.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #477
Give me a forum ...

A "grill grate" for my new gas grill.

The grill has a convoluted stainless steel grate for the "infrared" cooking, but this little gem will allow me to put a pizza stone or a cast iron pan for DIY pizza and the delicious cajun blackened fish.

Bent up the eighth inch steel bars, cut them to fit and brazed it all together with the plasma torch. The SS "accordian" sheet metal grill is so think the supports are an inch and a half done from the edge so I needed to raise it up a "notch"
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #478
Give me a forum ...

DW amused herself by making Easter Bunnies for the three youngest granddaughters:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 AM   #479
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those are adorable.
Looks like the dark grey is knitted/crocheted and the others are sewn?
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #480
Full time employment: Posting here.

The bunnies are really cute!

I'm working on a shelf unit to hold the components for the TV I have mounted on the wall, not fine woodworking but should be done this morning.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote