What We're Making

And the lanterns.

Attachments

• Lanterns.jpg
    Lanterns.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 75
Enrolled in a weekend (2-1/2 days) blacksmithing class recently and made this cool stuff...

I made the first of my hooks within 2 hours of starting the class. Next came a variety of hooks, then the “leaves.” The center punch was the most challenging due to the heat treatment (hardening) required. The fire poker was time consuming due to the drawn handle as well as the forge-welded tip.

IMG_7792.JPG

Enrolled in a weekend (2-1/2 days) blacksmithing class recently and made this cool stuff...

I made the first of my hooks within 2 hours of starting the class. Next came a variety of hooks, then the “leaves.” The center punch was the most challenging due to the heat treatment (hardening) required. The fire poker was time consuming due to the drawn handle as well as the forge-welded tip.

View attachment 30127

Nice. Where did you take the class?

Nice. Where did you take the class?

John C. Campbell Folk School www.folkschool.org They have a wide variety of classes - sewing, cooking, a variety of woodworking, photography, crafts, blacksmithing and others. There are similar folk schools and old-time schools around the country.

I've subsequently realized there are blacksmithing associations in nearly every state with monthly and quarterly events and meetings.

ON EDIT:

John C. Campbell has a 9-week work study program that allows you to take up to 4 weeks of classes and some weekend classes for free (including room and board) in exchange for 5 weeks of work around the campus. Work can include facilities/landscaping/mowing as well as a variety of office tasks. We spoke to two people in the work study program and they both agreed it was fabulous - thousands of dollars of classes, food and housing in exchange for relatively modest effort in the office and around the grounds. All that in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina.

Last edited:
John C. Campbell Folk School www.folkschool.org They have a wide variety of classes - sewing, cooking, a variety of woodworking, photography, crafts, blacksmithing and others. There are similar folk schools and old-time schools around the country.

I've subsequently realized there are blacksmithing associations in nearly every state with monthly and quarterly events and meetings.

ON EDIT:

John C. Campbell has a 9-week work study program that allows you to take up to 4 weeks of classes and some weekend classes for free (including room and board) in exchange for 5 weeks of work around the campus. Work can include facilities/landscaping/mowing as well as a variety of office tasks. We spoke to two people in the work study program and they both agreed it was fabulous - thousands of dollars of classes, food and housing in exchange for relatively modest effort in the office and around the grounds. All that in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina.

Thank you for that link - very interesting school!

Re-modeled the master bath and didn't like the original medicine cabinet on the side wall, standard plastic cabinet with mirrored front. Since it's on the side wall next to the vanity the mirror front serves no purpose so after looking what it would cost to buy a picture frame medicine cabinet decided to build my own, made with white oak. The shelves in the photo are only temporary, looking at cutting some glass or lexan shelves to fit.

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_155642116.jpg
    IMG_20181212_155642116.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20181212_155711260.jpg
    IMG_20181212_155711260.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 36
Recipe Box & Coasters

Some gifts for Christmas. Coasters are cut on the CNC and the design engraved with the laser. Recipe box has a laser engraved top as well. Fun projects.

Last edited:
Great stuff, as usual.

Say, isn't it time for Exit 2024 to post some pix of those awesome cookies?

Some gifts for Christmas. Coasters are cut on the CNC and the design engraved with the laser. Recipe box has a laser engraved top as well. Fun projects.
I give up on the coasters, what are they made from?

I'd guess the last two are walnut sides(ETA: I'm not sure about that, the sapwood and heartwood doesn't look right for walnut, zebra?) and cherry tops? But I could be way off.

In any case they're awesome!

I recall when a major greeting card manufacturer made stuff like this out of walnut I'd inspected. It was pretty awesome to see what could be done with a beautiful natural piece. Your work looks better than they sold.

Last edited:
MRG, thanks for the compliments!

The recipe box sides are walnut, the rest is cherry. All the wood is from trees I’ve cut and made in to lumber over the years. I like to use all the wood I cut and don’t mind a mix of heartwood and sapwood in a project although some people don’t like the mix? Attached a better picture of the side.

The coasters are cedar with a light coat of mineral oil for some water protection. The cedar is from a tree that fell across the road over a year ago on the path to our river camp. I just happened to have a chain saw in the truck so brought it home and made some nice lumber. I left a business card on the stump in case the tree owner wanted some of it.

Last edited:
MRG, thanks for the compliments!

The recipe box sides are walnut, the rest is cherry. All the wood is from trees I’ve cut and made in to lumber over the years. I like to use all the wood I cut and don’t mind a mix of heartwood and sapwood in a project although some people don’t like the mix? Attached a better picture of the side.

The coasters are cedar with a light coat of mineral oil for some water protection. The cedar is from a tree that fell across the road over a year ago on the path to our river camp. I just happened to have a chain saw in the truck so brought it home and made some nice lumber. I left a business card on the stump in case the tree owner wanted some of it.
Thanks. I personally love the sapwood natural and contrasting with heartwood. When I inspected walnut it was always steamed, as excess sapwood was considered a defect. Boring.

Last edited:
New Year's Resolution...find classes to learn how to do some of these extraordinary hobbies.

We had an antique rocking chair re caned. Only man we could find was 80+ yrs old in a small farming town 20 miles away. Beautiful work in his garage. Also, had a ergonomic chair ($2000) break at the base. Found on Nextdoor neighborhood link, a retired university janitor who remade the entire base with natural wood. More beautiful than the original chair. The cost, pittance compared the quality of work.

The latest bottle opener - mystery wood from the crotch of a log that my brother in law found on his property.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 7.39.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 7.39.37 PM.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 43
Beautiful! Did you hand file/whittle the handle?

Beautiful! Did you hand file/whittle the handle?

Thanks - I turned it on my wood lathe using chisels with a little hand filing on the ends after taking off the lathe. Lots of sanding on and off the lathe.

Here’s a photo of the rough blank on the lathe.

Attachments

• CDFB8ACF-B853-4802-A118-284ABDA2542A.jpg
    CDFB8ACF-B853-4802-A118-284ABDA2542A.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 38
Chris2008, Wow, they look delicious. Do you do this every year for the holidays?

I love the items posted by others- wow! :D

You can learn to do anything on YouTube. I have taught myself how to make jewelry & other things with wire, stones, gems & beads- just for fun/ gifts & some I sell on EBAY.

Attachments

• Copper Tree Cream Catcher 2.jpg
    Copper Tree Cream Catcher 2.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Copper Jasper Agate Necklace and Earrings 3.jpg
    Copper Jasper Agate Necklace and Earrings 3.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Green Natural Emerald .924 Sterling Silver Necklace Earrings Bracelet Ring 6.jpg
    Green Natural Emerald .924 Sterling Silver Necklace Earrings Bracelet Ring 6.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 35
Thanks - I turned it on my wood lathe using chisels with a little hand filing on the ends after taking off the lathe. Lots of sanding on and off the lathe.

Here’s a photo of the rough blank on the lathe.

I thought maybe you turned it out but wasn't sure. Very nice work.

Back
Top Bottom