What We're Making

Ronstar, My husband and I are into tools and equipment. For 2014 Christmas he got me a Rikon mini wood lathe. I've been doing more metal working and really have to get back into wood turning. A friend is taking a live edge bowl workshop next year so hope to pick her brains after the class.

Ready to go out the door.

Attachments

• KIMG0366.jpg
    KIMG0366.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 39
Just in time for Christmas morning for the DW. I'll let her decide if she wants it stained or painted. In theory, new magazines will go on the bottom shelf and as she reads them, move them to the top shelf. As she heads out for Dr's appointments, she grabs already-read magazines and drops them off at the Dr's. In theory...

Attachments

• KIMG0367.jpg
    KIMG0367.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 28
Ronstar, My husband and I are into tools and equipment. For 2014 Christmas he got me a Rikon mini wood lathe. I've been doing more metal working and really have to get back into wood turning. A friend is taking a live edge bowl workshop next year so hope to pick her brains after the class.

splitwdw -
Metal working is something that I'd like to get into! I've never done anything in metal or wood with a live edge - I'm afraid the live edge (if it has bark) would fall apart. Definitely pick your friend's brain after the class. And find some time to get back into wood turning. Quite therapeutic.

Cool stuff SpinDoctorTx & Lawrencewendall! Very creative.

Nice sawhorses Ed B! Those are far better than store bought.

Hope you all had Merry Christmas this year :) Here is my diet this holiday season :D

Attachments

• 9C10111D-A936-4509-B8BB-59D77EACBBC5.jpg
    9C10111D-A936-4509-B8BB-59D77EACBBC5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 30C4F8FB-35B4-437E-988E-4CCFEA6CB9C6.jpg
    30C4F8FB-35B4-437E-988E-4CCFEA6CB9C6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Took all summer, but patio/bbq area finally done. Learned to be a stone mason,carpenter,electrician,plumber,paver layer,sidewalk pourer, and lastly landscape architect. Pushed my limits for sure.
image.jpg

live edge walnut picture frame

I know "live edge" things have been done before but this is my first attempt to do any. I had this 48" long and 6" thick Walnut slab for a couple of years and rather than using my draw knife to get rid of the bark I thought it would be fun to make use of it for a picture frame. I finished the frame with 3 coats of spray shellac to go into the crevices of the bark. The bark turned from grey to brown once I applied the finish.
Those pictured are my son, daughter-in-law and my 6 year old triplet grandsons.

I first used the bandsaw and then ran over the jointer to get a flat side then back to the bandsaw to slice into approx 1" pieces then thru the planer to get it down to "3/4" final thickness. Then it was over to the miter saw to cut my 45's and then the biscuit joiner to reinforce the corners.
In the end it was too time complicated and I might not do another one... but there is a 2" thick piece of pecan sitting over in the corner of my shop that has it bark on it.. hmmm.
IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6567.jpg

Made a little saw table add on to my portable workbench sos I can push wood through w/o worry.

46889230921_efa3ec4ef4_o.jpg

Beautiful work everyone. Love your projects and home improvement projects!

Hope you all had Merry Christmas this year :) Here is my diet this holiday season :D

Wow. Those are so beautiful. Wish I was on your giving list. I’m not sure I could eat those. Just kidding, I’d eat them in a minute :D. Great work.

We've been busy...

Breakfast nook seating & solid walnut table top.
Storage seating with baskets.
Walunt MCM TV stand.

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_185658_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20190105_185658_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20181228_090301.jpg
    IMG_20181228_090301.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20181028_152217.jpg
    IMG_20181028_152217.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 57
What we really need is a separate thread called "That'll do - Half-*ssed Creations" for posting things made by the rest of us who have very little or no discernible talent.

ha

I know "live edge" things have been done before but this is my first attempt to do any. I had this 48" long and 6" thick Walnut slab for a couple of years and rather than using my draw knife to get rid of the bark I thought it would be fun to make use of it for a picture frame. I finished the frame with 3 coats of spray shellac to go into the crevices of the bark. The bark turned from grey to brown once I applied the finish.
Those pictured are my son, daughter-in-law and my 6 year old triplet grandsons.

I first used the bandsaw and then ran over the jointer to get a flat side then back to the bandsaw to slice into approx 1" pieces then thru the planer to get it down to "3/4" final thickness. Then it was over to the miter saw to cut my 45's and then the biscuit joiner to reinforce the corners.
In the end it was too time complicated and I might not do another one... but there is a 2" thick piece of pecan sitting over in the corner of my shop that has it bark on it.. hmmm.
View attachment 30648

View attachment 30649

View attachment 30650
I can honestly say I have never seen that done. Very unique, from the bark to sapwood and then the heart. Nicely transitioned.

Just wanted to share a carving I finished. The reason I like to share a picture from now and then is because these carvings leave and I don't get to see them again. I hope that makes some sense.

Attachments

• IMG_1569 (2).jpg
    IMG_1569 (2).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom