Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Thanks to spncity for the Sugru idea! I had never heard of this stuff. I didn't buy Sugru but rather a rival called something like SuperPutty. It worked! I used ribbon and a wad of it on the backs of the ornaments and it bonded rock solid in 24 hours. Great idea, and I'm sure I'll find other uses for this putty.

Yay! Good job.

For any who are interested, the Sugru cures to be more of a hard, rubbery material, there are a few different colors, and colors can be mixed to make other colors. You can give it a smooth finish or a textured finish. I used some in cracks wearing in the rubber soles of a favorite pair of shoes to make the shoes last longer. Even fixed a pair of Eddie Bauer snow boots that had a split. www.Sugru.com recently redesigned their website, so to see the gallery of more creative ideas submitted by users, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Gallery.

My other recent "find" is Tear Mender - with which I can mend blue jeans in a snap. Works for some types of leather repair. Not good for thin fabrics. Best to watch the instructions. https://www.tearmender.com/howto.php
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I did an inlay on the CNC machine, didn't come out perfect but have the concept now. This is walnut laid in to a piece of oak plywood. It's about 5" x6".

Here's a link to how the process is done for those interested, there is a video there as well.

Tips - VInlay Technique

Keep the pictures coming along with the questions and tips/info.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #63

Compost. This is manure from our alpacas after about two to three weeks, it's the pile where we throw fresh manure when cleaning the barn. You can see the steam rising as I was moving it with the tractor to a larger pile so it was cooking well. I usually add the sawdust from my workshop to the pile as well. Some people use alpaca manure without composting but it breaks down quickly and in about 3 months, it is really easy to work in to flower beds or the garden. I'm using most of what we have trying to improve or pasture. Ground is mostly shale but slowly getting better. We now have about 1/2 acre of nice grass for the alpacas to munch in the summer and hope to get another 1/2 acre growing well. We do have a couple of neighbors that come by for a pickup truck full as well every so often.

Attachment 22895
Old 01-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Compost. This is manure from our alpacas after about two to three weeks, it's the pile where we throw fresh manure when cleaning the barn. You can see the steam rising as I was moving it with the tractor to a larger pile so it was cooking well. I usually add the sawdust from my workshop to the pile as well. Some people use alpaca manure without composting but it breaks down quickly and in about 3 months, it is really easy to work in to flower beds or the garden. I'm using most of what we have trying to improve or pasture. Ground is mostly shale but slowly getting better. We now have about 1/2 acre of nice grass for the alpacas to munch in the summer and hope to get another 1/2 acre growing well. We do have a couple of neighbors that come by for a pickup truck full as well every so often.

Attachment 22895
You can make a really nice organic slow release fertilizer by mixing your composted alpaca poo with biochar. Biochar is similar to charcoal, but made differently. Adding compose to biochar is known as inoculating it. The compost nutrients become embedded in the honeycomb-like texture of the biochar thus allowing for a slow release over the course of decades.

full disclosure: I'm a certified permaculture practitioner
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My art turns out looking like compost.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
What are we making?

We are making people smile, even laugh out loud!
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:58 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Good one!

Thought I might take us off track a bit but since I'm the original poster, figured I could get away with it. I also tried to select a photo that wasn't too graphic- usually we want to see the nitty gritty but in this case, I thought the steam covered it quite nicely.

Net is, interested to see what others are working on!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how to get the text at the top of this picture instead of the bottom, but oh, well.

I learned to knit years ago and took it up again shortly before retirement because our church has a group that knits chemo caps and also provides hats around Christmas to poor people through Project Warmth. Even better, women who have quit knitting have brought in giant stashes of unused yarn (and sometimes partially-completed pieces which I happily unravel). I'd never worked with patterns other than simple stripes before and now I'm really enjoying it. I sure don't need mountains of knitted goods, so I can be creative, make nice things, and give them away to people who need them. Everybody wins!

I did find some beautiful yarn among the donated stash with silk content, in mixed shads, and made myself a circular scarf. I put an extra check in the collection basket for the yarn!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I am no good at things like carpentry or painting. The climate here in New Orleans does not often inspire me to knit or crochet any more.

But here's something I do - - maybe too fictional for some, but here it is. In a video game called Animal Crossing, one can design patterns that can be used for paths or plazas. These aren't pre-made paths, or paths from other peoples' patterns, but ones I individually designed, pixel by pixel including all the shading. They take forever to make, but it is relaxing to me and I think they are pretty. The little canals with water in the third picture are also patterns that I designed the same way as a path, pixel by pixel. Also the spider-y looking tiles in the first image are ones I designed.

OK, they're not tangible. I know. This is about the limit of my creativity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tile1.jpg (38.1 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg tile2.jpg (44.2 KB, 785 views)
File Type: jpg tile3.jpg (37.4 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg tile4.jpg (33.9 KB, 783 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, they're not tangible. I know. This is about the limit of my creativity.
Still, very nice! You're way ahead of me in the creativity department.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Still, very nice! You're way ahead of me in the creativity department.
I seriously doubt it! Your photos are amazing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:00 AM   #72

athena53- nice hats. I work with a local charity that provides warm clothing for kids and we have several groups that knit hats for us. The parents and kids get to pick the hat to go with their coats and the hand knit caps always go fast!

W2R- interesting pixel patterns and sure seems artistic to me!
Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Compost. This is manure ....
So if I attach a photo of what is in my toilet before I flush it qualifies for this "What We're Making" thread?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
So if I attach a photo of what is in my toilet before I flush it qualifies for this "What We're Making" thread?
Only if you give the background behind the picture and what you're doing with the manure after its composted.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Finally finished my drafting table "architect's table"

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #76

Wow, nice! Like others, I am impressed by the body of skills shown on this thread.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:32 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, nice! Like others, I am impressed by the body of skills shown on this thread.
Thanks Walt. Like you, I'm impressed by the skills shown here. And quite a variety. I enjoy seeing what people make in their spare time. Who would have guessed that retirees are such a talented group.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finally finished my drafting table "architect's table"
Is that Sycamore? Beautiful!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is that Sycamore? Beautiful!
It's walnut base with curly maple top. I cut the maple into strips and turned 90° and glued strips so that edge grain is up - supposed to accentuate the wood grain.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Some real talent here.

For me, Another day, Another dollar.

dand76 is offline   Reply With Quote