Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #1001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^ good idea. I have enough turquoise to do a partial fill. An initial partial fill of epoxy could give it a little more strength to resist cracking and the final turquoise fill would be good for looks.
Looks good and whack away. I don't think a person could whack hard enough to break it.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #1002
Recycles dryer sheets

Nobody seemed impressed with my Christmas ornament.

GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post

You posted too close to the cookies. Cookies are very distracting.

Your ornament and your work with glass looks very nice! Like the vase more than the ornament, but that’s just personal taste.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #1004
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wow, I must have missed it but that is beautiful and you are very artistic. Thanks
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #1005
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Very nice! I don’t know how I missed this before.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 AM   #1006
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks.

This isn't really a hobby. I studied glassblowing in college and used to sell through galleries and at art shows. I haven't blown glass in a few years. I had to help my father for a while as a caregiver, and keeping a glass furnace running isn't a part-time thing. I'm hoping to get back to making glass again, but it's hard to justify it as a hobby...
Old 01-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #1007
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

This is beautiful! Can’t believe I missed this...you have incredible skill.
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #1008

GreenEggs - that's stunning! You might try to find a glassblowing studio near where you live that would let you do work there (maybe in exchange for helping out with menial tasks). You've definitely got talent and skills!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #1009
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
GreenEggs - that's stunning! You might try to find a glassblowing studio near where you live that would let you do work there (maybe in exchange for helping out with menial tasks). You've definitely got talent and skills!

I've thought about that. A studio recently opened in Charlotte that rents blow time. I might try it and see how it goes. I'm sure it would be good for my social life if nothing else. (I've become a bit of a recluse. )
Old 01-06-2020, 01:09 AM   #1010
Recycles dryer sheets

Absolutely love your work! Especially that vase.
I have a real appreciation for your talent as I used to collect blown glass from Italy.
Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #1011
Recycles dryer sheets

GreenEggs, your work is incredible!!!
I am fascinated by glassblowing and we have quite a bit of handmade deco items in our house. How tall is that vase?
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #1012
Give me a forum ...

I've been wanting extra counter space and storage in my kitchen for some time now. My search for small utility carts, islands and even dressers came up flat. Either they were too large, had wheels or weren't the right style.

Then I remembered we have a small storage rack in the garage. I asked dh if he could put a top on it, he said he could. So, we ordered the rack from Home Depot (since we needed the one in the garage) and he completed the project yesterday. He had the wood and a small piece of Formica on hand. Total cost of 'mini-me'....$40.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01541.jpg (329.7 KB, 110 views)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #1013
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very clever. We have one of those racks downstairs. I'll have to make sure DW doesn't see this post..... haha
Old 01-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #1014
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
GreenEggs, your work is incredible!!!
I am fascinated by glassblowing and we have quite a bit of handmade deco items in our house. How tall is that vase?
Thanks. That one is about 12" tall. I called them the Ribbon series. The ribbons are made from a bundle of glass "overlay canes". I normally used 7 canes in the bundle, heated it up and would twist & stretch the bundle as I randomly draped it around the main colored core. There's a thin layer of silver foil under the ribbon which I'd wrinkle & overlap the sheets to add depth & visual texture, the silver sheets are 4x4" square that are turned diagonally so the corners create tips, which look like mountain tops behind the ribbons.

It's similar to how paperweights have decorations applied in layers, so they appear to float. The "trick" is to coat all the colors with a layer of clear, so none of the colors actually touch each other.

The "overlay canes" are made in a similar way. First I coat a core of clear glass with a layer of opaque white glass, then add a layer of gold glass, and finally a layer of clear glass. Then that gets stretched out, like taffy, into a long "cane". After the cane cools I cut it up into short lengths, about 3" long, and reheat 7 of them together to make the ribbon. The opaque white inside gets super thin so it becomes translucent.

After applying the decorations, I dip the piece into the furnace of glass again to encase the decorations, and while the last gather is still molten I pull it down towards the base so the base has an extra thick layer of clear glass.

Here's a cobalt one. It's about 15" tall.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #1015

Quote:
Very new to the forum, so I did not see the original post, but that is gor-gee-ous. Exquisitely fetching. Thanks for sharing with us mortals.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #1016
Moderator Emeritus

Made another billy club on the lathe. This one won't crack like the last one. The wood is from a European walnut gunstock blank that was cut down more than 50 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billy club 1 5k.jpg (854.5 KB, 45 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #1017
Give me a forum ...

Simple to complex but good. Have 3D Printer will Make.... almost anything.

1) Simple Coffee Tamper for our Keurig K575.

We like to grind our own coffee, so we have a refillable 2.0 Keurig Cup. Coffee is usually a little better if it is tamped hard rather than loose in the cup. So I made a Tamper for the Coffee Cup. See pics Below.

2) Drone Camera Mount for the new ADTi Surveyor Lite Camera Mount.

A friend asked me to do this, so I CAD'd it up and printed him one. It is designed for standard 8mm Rubber Cushion Dampeners for stabilization. Again See Pics and Link Below.

http://impconcepts.com/video/VelcroMountModel.mp4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9461.jpg (485.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9462.jpg (572.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ADTi Survey Lite - 1.jpg (45.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-01-14_11-03-21.jpg (233.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #1018
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful work and what talent there is!
I'm starting a horse driven buggy spring seat chair. It will be made from 100 plus year old cedar fence posts from the ranch. The wood is absolutely beautiful when split and still a great smell of cedar. When oiled it has that western style look I love.
Here is the project I'm starting and a picture of what the wood looks like when oiled in the duck carvings. It also shows what the post looks like untouched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3747.jpg (126.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3748.jpg (130.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg cedar ducks.jpg (18.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #1019

Quote:
Thanks. That one is about 12" tall. I called them the Ribbon series. The ribbons are made from a bundle of glass "overlay canes". I normally used 7 canes in the bundle, heated it up and would twist & stretch the bundle as I randomly draped it around the main colored core. There's a thin layer of silver foil under the ribbon which I'd wrinkle & overlap the sheets to add depth & visual texture, the silver sheets are 4x4" square that are turned diagonally so the corners create tips, which look like mountain tops behind the ribbons.

It's similar to how paperweights have decorations applied in layers, so they appear to float. The "trick" is to coat all the colors with a layer of clear, so none of the colors actually touch each other.

The "overlay canes" are made in a similar way. First I coat a core of clear glass with a layer of opaque white glass, then add a layer of gold glass, and finally a layer of clear glass. Then that gets stretched out, like taffy, into a long "cane". After the cane cools I cut it up into short lengths, about 3" long, and reheat 7 of them together to make the ribbon. The opaque white inside gets super thin so it becomes translucent.

After applying the decorations, I dip the piece into the furnace of glass again to encase the decorations, and while the last gather is still molten I pull it down towards the base so the base has an extra thick layer of clear glass.

Here's a cobalt one. It's about 15" tall.

Absolutely beautiful! A real art piece.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #1020
Give me a forum ...

I finished a cabin chair made of old horde driven buggy springs. The cedar wood came from old cedar fence post from the ranch that are over 100 years old. They where actually used till last year still in the ground for fence. They were replaced last summer and will put more of them to good use. I just split them to make this project and nothing else done to the wood. I will take up to the cabin and use in in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3783.jpg (106.8 KB, 56 views)