Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #1041
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Now that is pretty cool and what a nice clean/organized work area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Very cool! Love the old school brace and bit and plane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post
Ronstar - what a clever idea....way cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
+++
You folks said exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Thanks. It’s a fun app but it’s showing nothing but blah weather. No good weather on the horizon. The old brace and bit and plane are part of a small antique tool collection that I’m putting up on the wall. I have a hammer, wrench and screwdriver from my Grandfather. Others I got from flea markets.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #1042
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW Likes to make stuff out of jewelry and such. These are her latest. I keep telling her to sell some of the stacks of crafty bits we have all over her craft room, but no one wants the stuff. We put a piece on eBay and after about 3 months it finally sold. Not worth the effort. Only good for keeping her busy and will never be a money maker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9479.jpg (644.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 4th of July.jpg (116.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #1043

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
DW Likes to make stuff out of jewelry and such. These are her latest. I keep telling her to sell some of the stacks of crafty bits we have all over her craft room, but no one wants the stuff. We put a piece on eBay and after about 3 months it finally sold. Not worth the effort. Only good for keeping her busy and will never be a money maker.
wow, thats a clever use of old jewelry, very pretty, too!
Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #1044
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Perhaps she needs a different market... Maybe offering a service to people who have a supply of old jewelry they would like to be made into art?sometimes people inherit Grandma's old stuff and this might be a fun way to preserve it
Old 02-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #1045
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

eBay really isn't the right place for her work. She needs to give Etsy a try.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
eBay really isn't the right place for her work. She needs to give Etsy a try.
Yeah, unfortunately she says it is too much effort, with sharing, she is not into that. She would rather it pile up in a closet than make any effort to sell the stuff. It will all end up at Goodwill or Betty Griffin if and when we move. Unless she gives them away for gifts on Birthdays etc.

I also tried Craigslist and Nextdoor, but again no real movement.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #1047
Full time employment: Posting here.

Slowly rebuilding the original engine from my 1957 VW Beetle. I finished restoring this car 20 years ago and have driven it about 1k miles per year, being pushed by a 1959 engine. I have always wanted to rebuild the original engine and get it back in the car.

And right after this is done, I will complete the rebuild of the original engine for my 1956 VW single cab pickup truck. Long block is already done by a builder in MN, just need to get the peripherals back together....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200202_145155[1].jpg (617.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Slowly rebuilding the original engine from my 1957 VW Beetle. I finished restoring this car 20 years ago and have driven it about 1k miles per year, being pushed by a 1959 engine. I have always wanted to rebuild the original engine and get it back in the car.

And right after this is done, I will complete the rebuild of the original engine for my 1956 VW single cab pickup truck. Long block is already done by a builder in MN, just need to get the peripherals back together....
I LIKE it! When I was 16, I rebuilt a 1962 Beetle engine. I would LOVE to have a shot at redoing that now that I have a small clue what I am doing!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:05 AM   #1049
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Very nice! But I wouldn't bother trying to sell them. That just takes away the fun of making them. But they would make great gifts!
Old 02-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #1050
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
I've made miniature furniture for years.
What I want to know is where you bought the giant coin? Seriously those are amazing!

Adequate Balanced portfolio. 40% equity, 20% LTrm income/bonds, 40% income producing real estate. ER is the Greatest! Actually DW is the greatest! And loving life as never before...
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I had 2 raspberry pi's, a 7" monitor and a 21" monitor that I used do some simple python apps on. I found an app on GitHub https://github.com/genebean/PiWeatherRock for a raspberry pi weather display using an online weather source.

So loaded it on my pi with 7" monitor. 7" has current weather, 4 hour hourly forecast and 4 hour daily forecast.

And then recoded the app to work on my 21" monitor. It has current weather, 7 hour and 7 day forecasts. Put the 7" on my desk and 21" out in my workshop.
Very cool Ronstar. I also know the Python coding language so we have more in common than I thought. I havent picked up a Pi. I considered it but hard to find time to do this.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #1052

Been wanted to make a few weather vanes from some old water windmill blades I have. So I finally got around to it and made a pattern and cut them out and assembled. I just need to tack weld the bolt to the main frame and done. I was wondering how the best way to make the pivot point rotating part but they seem to work good how I built them. I have one that I made the tail end larger and will take that one to the ranch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3873.jpg (106.8 KB, 98 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #1053
Recycles dryer sheets

I just thought you all might find it funny that I've avoided looking at this thread for 3 years because I thought people were bragging about how much money they were making...
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Been wanted to make a few weather vanes from some old water windmill blades I have.
I think old weathervanes are cool. We have one from the farm where DW grew up (house was built in 1830) that has a bullet hole in it. The story is that it got there when Morgan's Raiders came through and stole their horses during the Civil War. No idea if that's really when it got shot, but the theft is documented so it might be true.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #1055

Interesting Story! We had one as a kid and old weather wind vane but it disappeared. I really like to watch them for some reason. LOL
These I make are just simple and nothing fancy but work well, and always appreciate building my own.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #1056
Moderator Emeritus

Cool weather vane, Street! Very unique old school look.

I have a weather vane on the roof of my workshop, but it’s not as cool as yours.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #1057
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m currently reading The Gift: How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World (Lewis Hyde). In it, he notes that the Shakers believed “persons who strove to become receptive of songs, dances, paintings and so forth were said to be “laboring for a gift” and the works that they created circulated as gifts within the community.” I loved this because it is helping me consider the substantial intrinsic value of creativity....
Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #1058
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like Ronstar, my dh loves the tool chests made by Gerstners. As this point, he has not purchased one tho.

Recently he bought a drill press and needed a chest to anchor it on. After toiling over the design, cutting, sanding, staining, etc, he finished it today. He says it has 'rustic charm'. I think it looks fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01337 - Copy.JPG (286.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #1059
Moderator Emeritus

What We're Making

Very nice, bbbami! Your DH has built a fine drill press stand/ chest. I like the unique design and solid construction. You can never have too many shelves and drawers around when you’re using a drill press. And it’s on wheels - very convenient!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #1060
Full time employment: Posting here.

I finally finished the shelves below my tap system in my basement bar. I put that off for about two years for some reason. I'm glad to have it done now.

dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote