What We're Making

Excellent work. Curious to know the wood here (coin case). Rosewood, coco bolo? Both are some of the nicest imo.

Thanks - The wood is bocote from Mexico. I got it from a hardwood store in Phoenix, Az. A guy would harvest the wood in Mexico and bring it up to Phoenix for sale.

Q6bf9A4.jpg

My wife asked me to make this for Grinchmas. Then we added lights that went up to our roof lights to complete the Grinch stealing Christmas.

Made this mirror for behind my basement bar (which I also built). It's ash and mahogany tiles...each one a separate tile.

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF9649.jpg

DSCF9743.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

You guys all do some beautiful work. My DW was just passing by as I was reading this and ask what I was looking at. I told her my ER site, and she said "I thought it was a retirement site". LOL I then told her it is but there were many threads about different things. I showed a few threads and she decided that she understands now how I can spend hours on here sometimes. ( It is my guilty pleasure) Y'all are the bombdiggidy!

Made this mirror for behind my basement bar (which I also built). It's ash and mahogany tiles...each one a separate tile.

Care to share how the tiles are (approximately) made ?

I took down a massive ash tree in our backyard last year and had it all roughsawn. I now have a surfeit of small ash cutoffs and no idea what to do with it all, so....

I guess I won't be building that ramp. We just got the news that our other pug (sisters from the same litter) is riddled with cancer, and her time is limited. We've decided to let them both go out the way they came in...together. I just went out and saw one of them come up the ramp, and burst into tears. This sucks. Hopefully we'll have a few good weeks together, but the clock is ticking.

I'm so sorry, harley.
From fellow dog lover,
:hug:
Our friend/roomie is a veterinarian who does house calls to help pets across the bridge, and has done those times when they go together. It is so hard to think about, I have two old ones here.

A neighborhood friend has screech owls in an owl house on his property. I want screech owls, so I whipped one up from some rough sawn cedar. Not a work of art, but hopefully it's good enough for some owls to call home.

Ronstar >>> great video, thanks. I see houses like that here on state and BLM lands built the same design but longer and wider. I was told they were for Wood Ducks. The hole in those I would guess at 3 inch.

Last edited:
Ronstar >>> great video, thanks. I see houses like that here on state and BLM lands built the same design but longer and wider. I was told they were for Wood Ducks. The hole in those I would guess at 3 inch.

Thanks - yes the one that my friend has is for wood ducks too. But the owls beat them to it this year.

I think his is bigger than mine. I got rough sizes from this webpage,

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-build-screech-owl-nest-box

I guess I won't be building that ramp. We just got the news that our other pug (sisters from the same litter) is riddled with cancer, and her time is limited. We've decided to let them both go out the way they came in...together. I just went out and saw one of them come up the ramp, and burst into tears. This sucks. Hopefully we'll have a few good weeks together, but the clock is ticking.

I am so very sorry, Harley. I have never had to say goodbye to two fur kids at once - I can't even imagine. Sending big hugs.

The two orange tabbies I have now are sisters, and have spent their entire lives together. I absolutely dread the day when one of them becomes ill, because I don't know either of them would cope on their own. :(

A table that I made in the woodshop at the lakehouse today. The legs are a piece of a hemlock tree that I had taken down last November here. As I was cutting/sorting though the pieces of this huge tree last fall, this one caught my eye. Flipped upside down, it seemed like the perfect 3 legged pedestal for a table. (reminds me of Harry Potter scenes for some reason).

Today, sorted through various barn boards that had been pressure washed and left in the sun to dry. Found one with huge knots in it, and decided to jigsaw out an odd piece and center the knot over the trunk of the top of the pedestal piece. Just made up the outline and cut it out with a jigsaw by hand.

Was a bit of a challenge to try to cut the leg ends just right (Dremel Multi-Tool saw) and get the top cut level. I will stain the table top, and want to apply a very deep and thick resin type clear finish over that.

Attachments

• 20210323_180055.jpg
    20210323_180055.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210323_180103.jpg
    20210323_180103.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Very nice - & unique! I like how you put the knot over the leg. That caught my eye before I read your post.
It was a spur of the moment thing as I searched for a piece to make the top. I think it worked out well......

Finished the airplane today, all that's left is go fly it. On to the next! I never did figure out what the designer intended to hold the wing on. There was an arrangement shown to bolt the wing on at the rear, but the only thing shown for the front of the wing was a small magnet. Relying on that would have resulted in the fuselage making like a lawn dart so I went with the old tried and true method of a pair of dowels and rubber bands. And the patterns on top & bottom are different for a reason; when it gets far enough away it's hard to tell if you're looking at the top or the bottom of the wing.

The radio receiver has a variometer in it that via telemetry to the hand-held transmitter emits a rising tone when the airplane is rising and a descending tone when descending. This makes it easier to find and stay in rising thermal air currents. The motor and propeller is normally just used to launch; if I'm lucky I'll find thermals and can stay aloft as long as desired. Some efficiency is lost by folding it but the aircraft is much more efficient in glide with the propeller folded and out of the airstream. This design is more airplane than sailplane though so I doubt I'll be setting any records with it. Among other things telemetry also lets me know the state of the battery so I can bring it back before it runs out of power to run the radio and servos.

Attachments

• Sunbird_complete (1 of 3).jpg
    Sunbird_complete (1 of 3).jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Sunbird_complete (2 of 3).jpg
    Sunbird_complete (2 of 3).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Sunbird_complete (3 of 3).jpg
    Sunbird_complete (3 of 3).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 43
Here's what I now call the "Hogwarts Table" stained and cleared. Originally thought I might use it in the house as a plant stand, but it definately belongs in the barn somewhere.

One of my friends saw the pic of it on social media and said "I don't want to put my beer on that, I feel like in a weird dream, that it would walk away from me....."

Attachments

• Hogwarts Table.jpg
    Hogwarts Table.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Walt34 >>> that sounds like a great hobby to have. Very interesting!

That’s a badass table doneat54. Did you put a sealer or something on the bark legs?

No. Thought about it, but decided to just handle it carefully and not try to seal it.

Saved a 24" or so cross section of the trunk (called a "cookie") of that tree to make a table with also. Pics forthcoming...

Nice! Even better, a gift. I made one for my nephew's wedding present, and they used it up.
it was glued slices like that, then cut on a 45 and reassemble in a pattern that really looks Escher-esque. I wish I had remembered to take a picture.
My latest builds are for work. I get to essentially do what I want when we are not busy in the field, as long as it seems productive. I turn in receipts and they never bat an eye at them.
The delivery driver is really beyond retirement age and has bad knees and hips, and was climbing up and down off the truck using one of the side racks leaned up against it. That was insanity, and as soon as I had a few days to spare I built a ladder for the bed.
PXL-20210128-233811934.jpg

He ( and anyone else without 36" inseams) complained about how difficult it was to get into the truck. They looked into a factory step, but they were not sufficient. Then they just forgot about it.
I built a custom nerf bar that split the distance between the floor of the cab and the ground. It is also the exact height of the lower rung of the ladder. Here is the nerf bar before paint and non-skid tape, a test fitting.
PXL_20210129_221220438.jpg
I got back to this and finished the other climbing handle.
PXL-20210402-225640640.jpg

PXL-20210402-225652552-MP.jpg

I started making segmented wooden bowls during lock down.
i-3HKVfWc

i-3HKVfWc

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_145710_129.jpg
    IMG_20210325_145710_129.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2021-02-03 09-20-29 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    2021-02-03 09-20-29 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2021-02-17 09-25-37 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    2021-02-17 09-25-37 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 38