Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #1281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Insane cookie skills......!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #1282

Those cookies are works of art. It would seem almost a shame to actually eat them.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #1283
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for kind words about our cookies !
Hope everyone had a great Christmas
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #1284

I'm looking forward to making an innovative half-shelf in a kitchen cabinet once my package of weld nuts finally comes. The weld nuts are basically nuts two tabs that I'll drill screw holes into, making them mini rod hanger/ceiling flanges that take 1/4" threaded rod. Two threaded rods will hold the shelf. I may put threaded inserts in the shelf but I'll probably use more weld nuts. Hopefully I can make screw holes in the bottom of the existing shelf with an awl or nail, otherwise I have to buy a right angle drill adapter. Ten weld nuts for $5. I couldn't resist.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #1285
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here are a couple of projects I made for my home. The wood is all from old wood pallets. I don't beleive I ever bought any wood for wood project that I remember. I always find old wood that is in the junk or trash piles to burn and work it ovah for my projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1535.jpg (91.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1531.jpg (104.1 KB, 53 views)
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #1286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Here are a couple of projects I made for my home. The wood is all from old wood pallets. I don't beleive I ever bought any wood for wood project that I remember. I always find old wood that is in the junk or trash piles to burn and work it ovah for my projects.
Very nice! And a little different from most clocks/shelves. Those spindles look hand carved, not turned? They have a nice rustic look. Same with the clock features - are those carved from that same frame piece of wood? I'm guessing they were turned/carved, then sawn in half lengthwise and attached to the front to get a left-right match?

Whatever the process, nice work!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #1287
Give me a forum ...

^ More nice work!! Superb.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #1288
Give me a forum ...

Hand carved on clock and I used a lathe on the medicine cabinet. I do thing the hard way I don't have much for tools. About 90% of the cuts I make I do with a skill saw or handsaws. Lol What I need is a small table saw or a band saw but really don't have to room for those tools. Hard to get things precise but it works.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #1289
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful work Street! Making things out of old wood requires more skill than making things from new wood. It’s great that you took wood destined for a burn pile and turned it something so nice.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #1290
Moderator Emeritus

I had some leftover barn wood and a group of squirrels invading my bird feeders. So I gave in and made a feeder just for the squirrels. Not challenging or good looking, but it was fun and it's getting the job done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squirrel eating corn 3.jpg (540.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg squirrel eating corn 2.jpg (677.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #1291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I'm looking forward to making an innovative half-shelf in a kitchen cabinet once my package of weld nuts finally comes. The weld nuts are basically nuts two tabs that I'll drill screw holes into, making them mini rod hanger/ceiling flanges that take 1/4" threaded rod. Two threaded rods will hold the shelf. I may put threaded inserts in the shelf but I'll probably use more weld nuts. Hopefully I can make screw holes in the bottom of the existing shelf with an awl or nail, otherwise I have to buy a right angle drill adapter. Ten weld nuts for $5. I couldn't resist.
Finished. I wish they made rod hangers this small. Threaded inserts would need a bigger hole than I felt comfortable drilling in the upper shelf. I hammered in a nail to make the screw holes in the shelf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weld-nut-drilled.jpg (173.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg half-shelf.jpg (537.7 KB, 64 views)
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #1292
Give me a forum ...

I posted a few days ago about making a Compass Rose. I had a lot of great advise and some new ideas for this project. I decided to make the rose from 4 different wood species that I have from the ranch. The 4 points (NSEW) will be from cedar and will use cottonwood ash and juniper for the 4 fill in triangles for the rose. You will see the cedar and cottonwood that I used and split a few slabs for the project.

This after noon I started and got the pointers (cedar) and two triangle cottonwood pieces glued and doweled with dried river willows. They work very good for dowels for my wood projects. They are the right price also. Lol

It is all very rough at this point because I split the wood with axe and wedge. I will angle grind things to a smoother surface once the glue has set up. I also will need to get two more dry pieces of ash and juniper to fill in the other two angles pieces.
Here are a few pictures of what I accomplished so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5964.JPG (38.9 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5966.JPG (43.6 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5963.JPG (31.2 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5967.JPG (45.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5968.JPG (46.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5969.jpg (27.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #1293

Well, not really making, but restoring. This is a speedometer "Pod" that was used in VW Beetles from 1943 until 1952, in various forms before the dashboard was totally redesigned in late 1952. I completely disassemble everything, clean, media blast, lube, buff, re-assemble. The Germans were notorious for date coding everything. The speedometer made by VDO is dated December 1950 in this pod. The pods are normally date coded on that brass ground fork, but about 5% of the ones I have had my hands on over the last 15-20 years are not. This restored pod has no date code.

This particular pod is was used for the non US market models as it it is in it's unpainted "bakelite". US market Beetles all got ivory colored pods. The first year a Beetle was sold in the US via a dealer was 1949. They sold 2 that year.

I buff the brown bakelite on a buffing wheel. Speedometer parts are all painted except the dial face. Reproduction dial faces, or decals are not available for this era, so unless you find a decent face, there is not much you can do. Everything else can be media blasted, painted, etc.

Although the bakelite is very hard and brittle, and will withstand a ton of heat (this pod has had some solder repairs to embedded brass rivets) they do often warp, especially if left outside in hot climates. I straighten these by sandwiching them in some custom wood pieces with a bolt through the center and heat them around 300 degrees for a few hours (the one in the oven pic is an ivory one, not yet stripped).

A complete pod like this usually sells in a few hours for around $1000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210111_173946.jpg (941.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20210111_173750.jpg (478.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20210111_120624.jpg (680.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20210111_120648.jpg (780.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-11-2021, 10:28 PM   #1294
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Well, not really making, but restoring. This is a speedometer "Pod" that was used in VW Beetles from 1943 until 1952...

A complete pod like this usually sells in a few hours for around $1000.
How do you set the odometer to zero ?

When people order them, do they ever want the odometer set to some number, ie the miles originally on the car ?
Old 01-12-2021, 04:02 AM   #1295
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I posted a few days ago about making a Compass Rose. I had a lot of great advise and some new ideas for this project. I decided to make the rose from 4 different wood species that I have from the ranch. The 4 points (NSEW) will be from cedar and will use cottonwood ash and juniper for the 4 fill in triangles for the rose. You will see the cedar and cottonwood that I used and split a few slabs for the project.

This after noon I started and got the pointers (cedar) and two triangle cottonwood pieces glued and doweled with dried river willows. They work very good for dowels for my wood projects. They are the right price also. Lol

It is all very rough at this point because I split the wood with axe and wedge. I will angle grind things to a smoother surface once the glue has set up. I also will need to get two more dry pieces of ash and juniper to fill in the other two angles pieces.
Here are a few pictures of what I accomplished so far.

Your compass rose is coming along nicely! And great that you're using your own wood.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #1296

Gifted our coffee table to a new homeowner as DW wanted a "zoom" table. Had some leftover walnut, so here she is.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:00 AM   #1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Gifted our coffee table to a new homeowner as DW wanted a "zoom" table. Had some leftover walnut, so here she is.

Very Nice!
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
How do you set the odometer to zero ?

When people order them, do they ever want the odometer set to some number, ie the miles originally on the car ?

A couple ways, if the mechanism is fairly free, I take the odometer drive pinion of, fit a piece of small rubber hose on a drill and over the gear at the end of the number wheel set and spin it back. If it is all stuck together tight, I'll the odometer completely apart, ream out the number wheel bores individually, and then set the number wheels back in at the 0 position on the shaft one at a time.

Have not had anyone request a particular odometer reading in the 10+ years I have been doing this. This being buying these parts through various venues in the hobby restoring them and selling them outright. I do have people send me their pods/speedometers for restoration and request that the odometer be left at it's present setting occasionally.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #1299
Give me a forum ...

Surewhitey, that is a beautiful piece of work.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #1300
Give me a forum ...

The compass rose is not totally complete yet but I got the simple compass design made from wood that came from the ranch. The points are cedar and the tringle pieces are cottonwood and ash.
Today went to the ranch where I want to install the compass in a line shack. I am thinking I will need to cut out plywood and then glue compass down. Still figuring out how and what to use for a N,S,E & W letters. The compass design is 1/2 inch thick and flooring is 3/4 in particle wood so that is kind of my dilemma.
Here are a few picture of it in the floor where I might cut it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5976.jpg (58.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5974.jpg (65.7 KB, 163 views)