Join Early Retirement Today

Racked
Old 04-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #1461

Racked

I'm building a little extension to my deck, but I have a question for the DIY folks here.

I have built the turquoise addition (not the stairs, yet, just the four boards, plus the post and supports. But I have discovered that the existing deck not coming out perpendicular to the house. So the corner where you see 116 15/16 on the diagram, it's really 2 1/4 inches to the right of where it would be if it were at a 90 degree from the house. So it appears I'll be adding parallelogram, not a rectangle.

There's the possibility of putting a space between the brown (existing deck) and turquoise (new deck) on the west outer part of the new deck (Steve is on the east). This would make the new deck really rectangular, but I'm not sure if that's really buying me anything. I'll be hanging the deck boards over and sawing them all off, so I'm inclined not to try to correct the racking, but figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeckExtenstion.JPG (233.3 KB, 65 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #1462
Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't sound like a problem to me as long as the deck boards are parallel with the house. I wouldn't try to correct it. Just run the decking over the edge a little and trim to the end board as you said. That 2" from perpendicular won't be noticeable.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #1463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree. You're the only one who will know that the deck isn't square, and if you're like me you'll forget about it within a couple of years.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #1464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Doesn't sound like a problem to me as long as the deck boards are parallel with the house. I wouldn't try to correct it. Just run the decking over the edge a little and trim to the end board as you said. That 2" from perpendicular won't be noticeable.
I agree with what Ron said, also.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #1465

I don't know how to build any of this but it would worry me a little that I might want some kind of steel brace or something made for right angles and it wouldn't fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corner-braces.jpg (57.2 KB, 37 views)
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #1466
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
I agree. You're the only one who will know that the deck isn't square, and if you're like me you'll forget about it within a couple of years.
Or if you're like me you'll notice it every time you see it. But nobody else will, so I agree, just continue what's already there. I've never done a project where there wasn't some little imperfection that bugged me. Just life as an OCD perfectionist.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Or if you're like me you'll notice it every time you see it. But nobody else will, so I agree, just continue what's already there. I've never done a project where there wasn't some little imperfection that bugged me. Just life as an OCD perfectionist.
This. One of the joys of getting older is learning to just let the little things go sometimes.

(coming from a guy who's been known in the past to open up walls to straighten out electrical boxes.. )
Old 04-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Made 3 floating shelves in white oak for a client's bathroom and added a shelf w/drawer to my pantry with all the extra Covid food hoarding...

That looks really nice. Excellent work.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #1469

Thanks, All, for the advice on the not-quite-square deck. I'll put the deck boards on parallel to the house and when done, the problem will not be apparent (or only apparent to me, lol!)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Thanks, All, for the advice on the not-quite-square deck. I'll put the deck boards on parallel to the house and when done, the problem will not be apparent (or only apparent to me, lol!)

Hopefully you can let it go that it's off by 2 1/4 inches.
Seems like the logical solution. If you had put a spacer in as you mentioned it would also skew your stairs slightly and your turquoise post may go out of plumb which would be more noticeable than your original problem.
I struggle with these issues every time I do a project. This morning I am trying to resolve a slightly out of plumb shower wall before I tile it. Drove myself crazy the last few days trying to move trim as little as 1/8 of an inch or less.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #1471
Moderator Emeritus

Made a small box to hold my misc hardware. It's a prototype for building my niece something to hold her fishing fly making materials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.43.01 AM.jpg (591.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.40 AM.jpg (606.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.22 AM.jpg (616.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #1472

Quote:
Made a small box to hold my misc hardware. It's a prototype for building my niece something to hold her fishing fly making materials.

That'll make a great fly tying storage bench. Can you put a nice top on it which she can attach her vise to and make it double duty?
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #1473
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nice. But you might want to wipe that hot dog mustard off your hands before taking the picture. Looks like you got a little bit on the camera lens.

But seriously, that's a sweet box. Nice design. Does the top open? It looks like wasted space, but would be good for a tray.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:47 PM   #1474
Give me a forum ...

RonStar, you are pretty darn handy. Looks great!
Old 04-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #1475
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
That'll make a great fly tying storage bench. Can you put a nice top on it which she can attach her vise to and make it double duty?
Should be able to put a vise on top of it. I'll tell her its possible if she wants it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Nice. But you might want to wipe that hot dog mustard off your hands before taking the picture. Looks like you got a little bit on the camera lens.

But seriously, that's a sweet box. Nice design. Does the top open? It looks like wasted space, but would be good for a tray.
Geesh - these photos have a white balance issue. Yep I screwed up - My original plan was for a hinged top with a shelf to use the space between the plastic bins and the top of the box. But I had just enough plywood to make it as is. So I made it without the shelf - and later found out that my wood store sells 15"x15" pieces of plywood. Oh well - next time - this was just a prototype for me to fine tune the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
RonStar, you are pretty darn handy. Looks great!
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #1476

My quarantine project last spring was a grown up paint by number. I worked on it daily for about 4 months. I found it to be a great escape from the stress of dealing with COVID at work every day.

disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
My quarantine project last spring was a grown up paint by number. I worked on it daily for about 4 months. I found it to be a great escape from the stress of dealing with COVID at work every day.

Wow, that turned out great!
Old 04-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #1478
Give me a forum ...

disneysteve, that is very nice!! What a great project something new and relaxing.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #1479

My '69 Camaro has had a few issues lately.

1) Won't start intermittently. I found out one of the wire connections I made in 1982 had come loose. I look back on the quality of work I did when I was 21 and shake my head...I'd never do that poor of a job today lol. I removed all these crimp connectors and soldered all of them and put heat shrink tubing on them.

2) The rubber boot at the base of the steering column was missing, so I installed a new one.

3) The emergency brake cable was creaky, so I sprayed lube down the cable guides...all quiet now.

It's a joy to drive now with some of these things fixed.

IMG_8246.jpg

IMG_8262.jpg

Camaro Rear 2.JPG
Old 04-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #1480

Ya, you need to sell that thing. Please call me!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote