Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #1561
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice! Cabinets look great and it's good that your client wanted to keep the retro look.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #1562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow. Another nice finish. What do you consider "good" paint ?

For the benefit of the beginners (and slow learners like me) would you mind also outlining your finishing process ? I did learn something from Ronstars explanation for instance as I wouldn't have thought of wax as a finishing coat over paint.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #1563
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finishing is (IMO) the hardest part of woodworking. I would suggest subscribing to a couple of woodworking newsletters that are put out by the various magazines. Wood, Fine Woodworking, and Family Handyman are the ones I currently get. I believe you can get them without subscribing to the magazines. But they regularly have articles about finishing and painting that can be pretty useful.

I'm getting ready to refinish my front door. It's a fiberglass door with a wood grain built into it. I've refinished it 3 or 4 times already, but out here at the shore with the wind and sun nothing holds up very well. I think this time I'm going to use a gel stain, wiping on/off a whole bunch of coats. Then I'll cover it with marine grade polyurethane, again a number of coats. Hopefully it won't end up peeling off as quickly this time.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #1564

Started making a Ulu knife a few hours ago. Got everything done except shaping the grip. Letting JB Weld dry before doing the wood shaping.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #1565
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Wow. Another nice finish. What do you consider "good" paint ?

For the benefit of the beginners (and slow learners like me) would you mind also outlining your finishing process ? I did learn something from Ronstars explanation for instance as I wouldn't have thought of wax as a finishing coat over paint.
So for most cabinet jobs, I've narrowed down to what works well with an inexpensive HPLV sprayer. The fine mist spray really lays down a smooth finish if the paint is less thick. Also, most of what I spray is in the flat to reduce any runs. If I'm not in the flat, I just pay a little more attention to detail.

With that said, one of the best primers I've ever used and almost use exclusively now is Zinsser BIN shellac primer. It is perfect out of the can to spray, totally covers any dark areas completely and only takes 30-45 minutes to dry. Sanding lightly, it's silky smooth. Down side, cleaning requires denatured alcohol. And it is really a permanent product if you get it on you or your clothes. But the final product is worth it. I typically use a separate gun for my primer vs the paint...$45-50 / gal...

The paint I have come to love to spray is Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane trim paint. It's $95 / gallon, but you get what you pay for. I have an account that gets it down to $60 / gallon. I can do a complete, average kitchen (doors & exterior boxes) with 1 gallon and 2 coats on everything. I is also less thick and I may put 5-10% warm water to dilute it just a touch, but technically not necessary. It has a warm water & soap cleanup, so easier on cleaning the guns. Also, I spray doors and larger panels in cross patterns. Spray one direction and then perpendicular to that. Otherwise in large panels you may see the "strokes".

There are tons of videos on YouTube for painting. I like Paint life TV, personally. Also, for more on the carpentry side, Bourbon Moth is more interesting to watch and learn from.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
With that said, one of the best primers I've ever used and almost use exclusively now is Zinsser BIN shellac primer. It is perfect out of the can to spray, totally covers any dark areas completely and only takes 30-45 minutes to dry. Sanding lightly, it's silky smooth. Down side, cleaning requires denatured alcohol. And it is really a permanent product if you get it on you or your clothes. But the final product is worth it. I typically use a separate gun for my primer vs the paint...$45-50 / gal...

Zinnser BIN shellac primer is the only thing I tried that worked on painting my kitchen cabinets. They are pine with many knots and the shellac primer has not allowed any knots to show thru since I painted them several years ago. It has to be the shellac version. I tried the regular BIN stuff and it did not work . Neither dd the Kilz brand.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #1567
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Ö.I did learn something from Ronstars explanation for instance as I wouldn't have thought of wax as a finishing coat over paint.

Iíve only used Annie Sloan clear wax as a topcoat over Annie Sloan and Rustoleum chalk paints. Chalk paint needs a protective topcoat. And Iíve used minwax polycrylic as a topcoat for chalk paint also.

Iíve only used chalk paint 3 or 4 times. Most times I use Sherwood Williams pro classic. And I donít use a topcoat over proclassic.

But I use zinsser bin primer on all wood projects that I paint.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #1568

I have made many knives through the years. There is nothing fancy about them but use them all the time. All my knives I use in the outdoors I make. I have about 3.5 hours in this one.
I will use it for the garden produce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7538.jpg (33.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7534.JPG (41.7 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #1569

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I have made many knives through the years. There is nothing fancy about them but use them all the time. All my knives I use in the outdoors I make. I have about 3.5 hours in this one.
This could be my hobby of the future. I've thought about buying blanks & focusing on the wood handles, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:40 AM   #1570
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Those are some awesome knives! You could be on History Channel's "Forged in Fire"

I've seen where people turn old table saw blade into knife blades. I may have to try one someday.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #1571

Surewhitey and Ronstar, I hope you do make some knifes. Mine are nothing special I like a project now and then I can do in a day times or two days. I have made many and I use then daily and through my hunting fishing interests. I have given many away through the years and people use them in life.
Here are a few I had a picture of. These are from heavy blades and I always use found wood for handles or horns. The ulu knife has burr oak as wood handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7549.jpg (163.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #1572

nice knife handles, street!
My DH has been into making handles since retirement. He is not at the point of perfection as yours, but he is enjoying it and each time is happier with the outcome! It keeps him busy in his shed/office--lol. He is looking at starting wood carving sometime.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #1573

Pacergal, that is great. Being creative and using my imagination is what's fun I'm sure your husband can say the same.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #1574

Quote:
Surewhitey and Ronstar, I hope you do make some knifes. Mine are nothing special I like a project now and then I can do in a day times or two days. I have made many and I use then daily and through my hunting fishing interests. I have given many away through the years and people use them in life.
Here are a few I had a picture of. These are from heavy blades and I always use found wood for handles or horns. The ulu knife has burr oak as wood handle.
Where do you get & what kind of metal do you use for your knives?
Old 06-23-2021, 08:06 PM   #1575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Where do you get & what kind of metal do you use for your knives?
I use old shovels, bandsaw blades, skill saw blades and old hand saw blades. A lot of that old tempered steel a guy can find at junk sales etc..

I hope you an find some material and start experimenting. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #1576
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I use old shovels, bandsaw blades, skill saw blades and old hand saw blades. A lot of that old tempered steel a guy can find at junk sales etc..

I hope you an find some material and start experimenting. Please keep us posted on your progress.

What do you use to cut an old shovel or skill saw blade? Will a 4Ē angle grinder do it or do I need a plasma cutter?
Old 06-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #1577
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old style leaf car springs work well for a thick blade.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #1578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
What do you use to cut an old shovel or skill saw blade? Will a 4Ē angle grinder do it or do I need a plasma cutter?
Yes, that is what I use an angle grinder. Cab finish curves corners with a dermal and I have a mixture of metal files. Grips I do with rasps and in most I do notch in finger grooves on most of them I do.

Sure hope you post your talented work when you make some.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #1579

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Old style leaf car springs work well for a thick blade.
Yes, and old bed frame metal. I have always wanted to do some forging but never have. It would be a fun thing to try and something new to learn. I would have most of the metal tools expect forge and they could be made out of cinder blocks in the back yard with an old hair drier for the air. I have wanted to make one instead of buying one.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #1580
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, that is what I use an angle grinder. Cab finish curves corners with a dermal and I have a mixture of metal files. Grips I do with rasps and in most I do notch in finger grooves on most of them I do.

Sure hope you post your talented work when you make some.

Thanks! Iíll try one in a few days. It will probably take me a month to make the first one.