Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Bark textured tissue box cover made on the CNC. Made from a piece of walnut from a neighbor's tree we took down and milled a year ago. The lumber is just now dry enough to use.

Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bark textured tissue box cover made on the CNC. Made from a piece of walnut from a neighbor's tree we took down and milled a year ago. The lumber is just now dry enough to use.
Very nice.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it. Attachment 23208Attachment 23209
I love the strands of DNA!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks. New CNC machine has a very different controller so trying to do some small projects as I get more familiar with it. Would like to make some cribbage boards but have to get a small bit for drilling all the holes.

Keep the pictures coming, love the quilts!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #145
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it. Attachment 23208Attachment 23209
My engineering daughter would love this! So incredible.

Very talented people here.

I made jewelry in the past and need to get back to it now that I'm retired. I've just been too busy. lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chainmaille.jpg (59.5 KB, 44 views)
kerik68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #146
Dryer sheet aficionado

These projects are very impressive and inspiring! I started taking Irish Whistle lessons last month, so I guess I am making music. Except at this point I wouldn't call it music exactly. But I am enjoying it...I thought about uploading an audio file, but decided to spare y'alls ears.
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
These projects are very impressive and inspiring! I started taking Irish Whistle lessons last month, so I guess I am making music. Except at this point I wouldn't call it music exactly. But I am enjoying it...I thought about uploading an audio file, but decided to spare y'alls ears.
I've been off and on teaching myself to play flute for the last few months, and I agree with your decision.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #148
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerik68 View Post

I made jewelry in the past and need to get back to it now that I'm retired. I've just been too busy. lol.
I make some of my own chain and have tried doing chainmaille but I get lost before I get very far. These are nice. What did you make with them? I learned how to do Viking knit recently and have been having fun with that.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this done? Do you start with a coil of wire, then form each loop? Are the ends soldered somehow? It looks like very intricate work.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I make some of my own chain and have tried doing chainmaille but I get lost before I get very far. These are nice. What did you make with them? I learned how to do Viking knit recently and have been having fun with that.
I made a chainmail shirt once back when I was in the SCA. Made it out of beer and soda pop tops. I sold it years ago, I think for about $20.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm ... I make folding knives including forging all the damascus blades. I also make jewelry, chain mail, sculptures (clay and bronze), wood turning, and lots and lots of footprints in the woods/snow/etc. Suffice it to say that I do not have enough time for my hobbies ... I need to be FIRE'd soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stellari.jpg (48.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg cbsm.jpg (28.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg snakel.jpg (133.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1243_JPG.jpg (35.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1324_JPG.jpg (21.2 KB, 41 views)
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
including forging all the damascus blades.
Wow..nice....you have a blacksmith's set-up, anvil & forge? You'll have to change your name to Vulcan or Hephaestus.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #153
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've been off and on teaching myself to play flute for the last few months, and I agree with your decision.
Yeah, that decision was based on feedback from my dog.
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wow..nice....you have a blacksmith's set-up, anvil & forge? You'll have to change your name to Vulcan or Hephaestus.

hehehe ... yep several forges, hydraulic presses, belt sanders ... etc. To think that I originally got into making knives because I couldn't really afford the ones I wanted (and saw at knife shows.) I could have bought all the knives I ever wanted for what I spent in tools. But then ... you can never have enough tools .. BTW, I specialize in putting meteorites in my knives. I forge iron meteorite into the blades and cut slices of iron and stone meteorite as part of the knife fittings / decoration.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #155
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but how is this done? Do you start with a coil of wire, then form each loop? Are the ends soldered somehow? It looks like very intricate work.
Not ignorance at all! You start with rings (you can make them yourself but that is a ton of work) and you open and weave and close them in different patterns. I haven't soldered any of the rings at all but you can solder your clasps to ensure they don't come off. It's intricate but not too bad once you get the hang of opening and closing each ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I made these out of sterling silver, gunmetal rings and copper. I always dip my pliers in a plasticy adhesive so I don't mark the rings while I am weaving. Viking knit sounds interesting!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #156
Dryer sheet wannabe

Steelart those are gorgeous!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Steelart those are gorgeous!

+1. Very impressive!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

I've always enjoyed watching blacksmiths work. And knives are what I would choose to make if I was inclined that way. Beautiful work! And then woodturning, too! Way beyond my skillset.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
Hmmm ... I make folding knives including forging all the damascus blades.
Beautiful work- had to google damascus steel, quite a story and history. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Beautiful work- had to google damascus steel, quite a story and history. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Thanks to all. Always nice to hear that the things I create that I think are "cool" ... are to others as well.