Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemlovers View Post
I make wool socks on a circular sock machine. I have one antique machine and one newly manufactured machine.
I mostly make them as gifts and sell a few pairs a month at a local craft shop.

Attachment 22771
I love your socks ! Wish you were selling on etsy .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemlovers View Post
I make wool socks on a circular sock machine. I have one antique machine and one newly manufactured machine.
I mostly make them as gifts and sell a few pairs a month at a local craft shop.

Attachment 22771

Great looking socks. They look comfy!
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Here's a couple of quick photos of a quilt I recently completed. I did not do the quilting (sent it to a long-armer) since I have trouble handling the large quilts on my regular home machine.

The quilt top was pieced entirely from scraps in my stash. I started it last winter, when I was stuck in the house during a snowstorm so couldn't get out to the fabric store. Turned out to be a win-win: freed up some shelf space and gained a fun scrappy quilt in the process. Attachment 22765Attachment 22766

Love the colorful quilt. Especially the red block in the middle.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
A while back I found I had a lot of nice photos, I had a nice photo printer, but the cost of mounting and framing them was more than I was willing to part with. So I bought some books on picture framing and later bought a mat cutter and learned to mount and frame my own photos. The first one I shot in the kitchen sink. The middle two are ones I did for DW, the beach scene is one that hung in her mother's kitchen for 20+ years but the frame was awful. The train is a poster found among her grandfather's stuff that was in his office for years and the cheap frame was falling apart. The two children are DW's grandnieces a couple of years ago. Those hang in her nephew's living room.

I found out why mounting and framing is expensive. It is very labor intensive and takes some time. I can do one in about four hours, with lots of practice I might be able to get it down to two. Some of that time is allowing glues to dry.
Cool sink pic.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My father's urn, made by DH out of four types of wood (ipe, cherry, walnut, oak). Small metal Cessna 172 was purchased online, and later painted to match dad's plane.

He gave so-o-o many people their first airplane ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5713.jpg (378.9 KB, 70 views)
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
My father's urn, made by DH out of four types of wood (ipe, cherry, walnut, oak). Small metal Cessna 172 was purchased online, and later painted to match dad's plane.

He gave so-o-o many people their first airplane ride!
My condolences on the loss of your father, but your DH created a very nice urn for him.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #47

Nice thread idea. Love seeing all your handiwork!

Here's some no-knead artisan bread. Four ingredients. I've made variations by adding Italian herbs - or chopped green and kalamata olives - or chopped craisins & walnuts (the last one is awesome with mascarpone!)

After experimentation, the two things that helped the most:
1. Using a pre-heated clay baker with a lid (which manages the moisture), and
2. Parchment paper for ease of second rise, easier to transfer to clay baker, and clean-up is a snap.

Picked up some tips on YouTube. Search for "Bread with Steve".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4279.jpg (529.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #48

All of those are brilliant. I admire all who have the patience and talent. GOOD JOB!!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spncity, thanks for sharing the picture of the urn, very well done, nice mix of materials. Walt34, thanks as well for the frames and matting, I never realized how much effort and time was involved with that process. I guess getting into doing the mats and frames was a logical step once you decided to display more of your own photos.

Thanks to all for sharing your efforts, suddenly I'm hungry for some bread and butter?
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Spncity, thanks for sharing the picture of the urn, very well done, nice mix of materials. Walt34, thanks as well for the frames and matting, I never realized how much effort and time was involved with that process. I guess getting into doing the mats and frames was a logical step once you decided to display more of your own photos.
When I read the books on picture framing I learned a lot. Most of the drugstore type frames are doing it entirely wrong. Beside the display value, the purpose of the matting is to hold the photo away from the glass. In high humidity environments it can stick to the glass and then when the humidity goes down the paper shrinks and pulls away from the glass, leaving some sticking to the glass and ruining the photo (or whatever the artwork is).

The photo also has to be hung on the backing board with strips of acid-free paper that allow the photo, matting and backing board room to expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity. The glues used are reversible, meaning that a drop or two of water will free the photo from the hanging strips with no damage to the print. And of course the backing board and matting boards are acid free too.

The print of the train had been mounted with a regular cardboard backing board and I could see where the acid in the cardboard had damaged the print. There's a spray to neutralize the acid and stop further damage but it cannot be reversed.

And the glass or clear plastic used to cover the print should be UV resistant to help avoid fading. That's why valuable artwork in museums is kept in dark rooms and flash photography is prohibited since that emits UV light.

Maybe more than most wanted to know about picture framing....
Old 12-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #51

I knew that we had intelligent people on this site, but did not realize how many are talented also. Love all of the above projects. Even though I wish I were, I am not crafty at all. Great job, everyone.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:06 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Here's a couple of quick photos of a quilt I recently completed. I did not do the quilting (sent it to a long-armer) since I have trouble handling the large quilts on my regular home machine.

The quilt top was pieced entirely from scraps in my stash. I started it last winter, when I was stuck in the house during a snowstorm so couldn't get out to the fabric store. Turned out to be a win-win: freed up some shelf space and gained a fun scrappy quilt in the process. Attachment 22765Attachment 22766

Wow. Simply, wow!!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I knew that we had intelligent people on this site, but did not realize how many are talented also. Love all of the above projects. Even though I wish I were, I am not crafty at all. Great job, everyone.
+1
Old 12-21-2015, 05:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
You guys are impressive!
I made footprints in the snow today.
That made me laugh.

I consider myself a maker of photographs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f Franchere Mountain.jpg (814.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 05:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
What I made as a part of one of my hobbies a few days ago doesn't photograph very well. You'd have to see it in action, and even then, not real exciting.
Wrote a lot of computer code in a previous life. Wish I could read this. The jpg doesn't expand well.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the process of making an "Architect's table". Here's a photo album of progress photos that I'm updating for friends/family so that I don't have to keep sending them photos. Table should be done around Jan 5.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...QzcGZkR0VCTmFn

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #57

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
"tree of life" cherry wood drink coasters, a poplar register cover (unfinished), and a rendered photograph, all made with my trotec 80W CO2 laser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010421.jpg (618.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg P1010433.jpg (432.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg P1010453.jpg (494.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg mchelen.jpg (965.8 KB, 62 views)
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #58

Thanks to spncity for the Sugru idea! I had never heard of this stuff. I didn't buy Sugru but rather a rival called something like SuperPutty. It worked! I used ribbon and a wad of it on the backs of the ornaments and it bonded rock solid in 24 hours. Great idea, and I'm sure I'll find other uses for this putty.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
That made me laugh.

I consider myself a maker of photographs.
Lovely - is that digital or film?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Lovely - is that digital or film?
It's digital, Canon 6D, from Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada.