Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
I became a grandma for the first time about 10 days ago.
Congratulations !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Love to cook - being a numbers guy and not an art person at all, cooking is my main creative outlet.

I like to learn to prepare various ethnic foods. Recently did some Mediterranean lamb and couscous. Also did a couple of Korean dishes.

I want to learn to make Ethiopian food and the bread called injera ... Can't find that cuisine locally and I like spicy food a lot.

Last week I received some wahoo fish from my neighbor and made ceviche, fish tacos and a seafood bisque with it.

All cooking was self taught -- having a working mom and watching Ms Julia Child on PBS in the '70s helped foster the need and the interest as well as a few of the basic skills. Save the liver.

I tried injera a few months ago. A gloppy messy disaster. However, the rest of the Ethiopian meal was a delicious success. I get recipe ideas online, but I never follow the instructions exactly. Last week I made a smoked salmon pasta with arugula and also Thai shrimp curry soup. (Different days). Both could easily be served in a restaurant.

I've been cooking since I was in my early teens. Lately (the last 3-4 years) I've been researching recipes online then combining ideas to make my own.

Cooking is edible art. Good food appeals to many senses, sight, smell, taste, and touch (texture).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Electroforming
Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #103

Electroforming

I'm learning how to do electroforming to add to my metal working knowledge. This is a dried seed pod that's been plated over with copper. I'm hoping to be able to use for jewelry or add as decorative element to my copper bowls and plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160206_082833.jpg (428.0 KB, 59 views)
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, I just came across this thread and it has lots of cool ideas. What a wonderfully creative group of people!

My creativity is usually home-fix-it stuff but I like to cook too. Here's my latest smoked pork butt. I read and post on on BBQ-4-U and have found lot's of good ideas on that web site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5316_small.jpg (727.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I'm learning how to do electroforming to add to my metal working knowledge. This is a dried seed pod that's been plated over with copper. I'm hoping to be able to use for jewelry or add as decorative element to my copper bowls and plates.
That's neat, would like to see more. All this wonderful food is making me hungry.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

I agree - splitwdw's electroforming is very cool. And the food - how can you possibly have a better hobby than one with an end product that you can eat?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I agree - splitwdw's electroforming is very cool. And the food - how can you possibly have a better hobby than one with an end product that you can eat?
Or drink?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Or drink?

-ERD50
Very True!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
How lovely!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Wow, I just came across this thread and it has lots of cool ideas. What a wonderfully creative group of people!

My creativity is usually home-fix-it stuff but I like to cook too. Here's my latest smoked pork butt. I read and post on on BBQ-4-U and have found lot's of good ideas on that web site.
Good heavens, this looks REALLY GOOD!!!!!

If only I could drum up some more interest in cooking. I always love it when someone else makes mouth-watering recipes that look like this. But, I am lazy in the kitchen.........

Photos like this make me want more ambition!

Old 02-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #111

I also hand forge leaves out of copper and I do enameling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 forged copper leaf.jpg (379.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 2 forged copper leaves.jpg (376.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 3 enameled leaves.jpg (393.7 KB, 57 views)
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1454913916.510618.jpg

Learning how to quilt since retiring and made Christmas presents this past holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:15 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcurtis View Post
Attachment 23196

Learning how to quilt since retiring and made Christmas presents this past holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Wow, you were busy! Did you do the free-motion quilting on the throw? My goal for this year is to learn to FMQ.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Just discovered this thread.....wow...you guys have talent!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Made; about to be eating: Pineapple cake with ground almonds and lab cherries.
My sweet tooth approves this post.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's true. And also my biggest problem with my hobby of woodworking. Once you've made something, then you have to put it somewhere. I can give some stuff like boxes and cutting boards away, but I'd like to try my hand at some harder stuff, furniture and such. But I've got nowhere to put it, and it's too expensive to just give away.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's true. And also my biggest problem with my hobby of woodworking. Once you've made something, then you have to put it somewhere. I can give some stuff like boxes and cutting boards away, but I'd like to try my hand at some harder stuff, furniture and such. But I've got nowhere to put it, and it's too expensive to just give away.
That is exactly the same problem I'm having. I only have room for one more big piece - maybe a map cabinet. Or a vanity to replace the existing one. Then I'm totally out of room. I started making cutting boards and cheese boards - I'll have to go back to those.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #118

Quote:
That is exactly the same problem I'm having. I only have room for one more big piece - maybe a map cabinet. Or a vanity to replace the existing one. Then I'm totally out of room. I started making cutting boards and cheese boards - I'll have to go back to those.

We could set up a barter system...trade one of your handcrafted pieces for someone else's finished product.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Wow, you were busy! Did you do the free-motion quilting on the throw? My goal for this year is to learn to FMQ.

I pieced & quilted everything except the quilt on my sewing machine. Had the quilt sent out to be quilted. Wasn't quite ready to tackle machine quilting a quilt yet. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
We could set up a barter system...trade one of your handcrafted pieces for someone else's finished product.
I was think more of "oops, I accidently cut up and burned that Ikea chifferobe in the chiminea, I guess I'll have to make a new one."