Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dave, Great carving. Have you done something like this before?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Here's a screen door I'm nearly finished with for our house. The door is an inexpensive pine door from Lowes, I then made the lower panel from cherry and carved the picture on the CNC. Took about 15 hours to carve. Finish is mainly shellac and a bit of stain to bring out some details. I'm happy with how the cherry and pine look together, wasn't sure I was going to be okay with it.
Very nice. I wouldn't have thought the cherry and pine would work. Really really nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:09 AM   #203
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Dave, Great carving. Have you done something like this before?
I've done a bit of woodworking but first time with a carving like this integrated to the project. I've done a couple of small 3D cuts on the CNC and cherry cuts really well and requires very little sanding or clean up. I also happen to have a good supply of cherry, walnut, and oak to pick from from trees that have fallen or been taken down on our property and milled. I've milled these over the last few years so after air drying, it's all ready to use. I was hoping the darker stain on the pine would work with the cherry which only has a clear coat and happy with how it turned out.

For those interested, the removed material from the carving is about 1/2" thick at its deepest points and done in a 3/4" panel that was glued up from 3 pieces of cherry. I was/am worried that the panel will warp. The panel was oversize on the CNC machine and screwed flat around all the edges while being cut. I cut it for about 5 hours each day, for 2 reasons. First was I don't want to leave the machine running when I'm not in the shop and second, thought it might help to relieve some of the stress in the wood from the cutting by only cutting part of the pattern each day. Once the carving was complete, I put on two coats of shellac to seal the wood before I took it off the router, then immediately applied two coats to the back side to keep the panel from drying at different rates. I really like to use shellac as you can easily apply 3 coats in just a couple of hours and it builds to a nice finish.

The panel is held in the door with pocket screws from the back side running in to the frame, about 3 screws on each side, then plugged the pocket holes with a cherry plug. Again, hoping this will help to hold the panel flat but will see what a season of temperature and humidity changes do. It's under a roof so won't be directly hit by the weather.

MRG- I took a 6" square from the carving and cut it out in cherry as a preview which gave me something to use to clear coat with shellac and compare to the the pine door and the house. My original plan wasn't to use the dark stain on the door frame but we decided the pine was too light so put some of the darker stain on it to get it closer to the color of the house- it will darken a bit with time as it is the same stain used on the logs of the house which are also pine. I added the trim at the top and on the inside of the door around the screen so there would be a bit more cherry to balance it out, we'll see!

Thanks for the comments and thanks to all for keeping this thread alive, some amazing things being created.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Have to share our family affair - COOKIES
That is just perfect for us - one is enjoying making them and the other is happy to eat it all

Last year and this year Easter cookies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easter.jpg (314.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg egg-all3.jpg (365.5 KB, 56 views)
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #205

Wow, those cookies look like artwork. My sugar cookies usually look like they were decorated by a five year old.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #206

Wow, those are beautiful!!!! Such talent!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #207

Wow, cool cookies. Does the person that makes them use stencils for part of the design?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #208
Recycles dryer sheets

splitwdw, no stencils on those, all hand painted with icing
Old 03-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #209

Wow, they look like Wedgwood china. I'd be afraid to bite into one and break a tooth!
Old 03-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
splitwdw, no stencils on those, all hand painted with icing
That's amazing!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #211
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all wows using the moment will spam you all a little bit more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valentine day hearts.jpg (871.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg purplegold.jpg (503.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg fialki.jpg (1.02 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg pampkins.jpg (801.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #212

That is such incredible detail work. You have real talent and ability there.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Exit 2024 - those cookies are awesome!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

They look like that AND I can eat them!

Excellent.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #215
Recycles dryer sheets

Now you all know the real reason to FIRE for us ASAP - more free time means more cookies
Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #216

Those cookies look amazing! About how long does it take to paint a dozen?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

redduck, it depends on design and number of colors used , white and blue 26 eggs took probably 7-8 hrs total split in 3 days. It takes much longer to came up with doable idea though
Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 AM   #218
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, the cookies are amazing!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

davemartin88, thank you for opening such a great topic, I was really enjoying looking at all that work shared here, so many so talented people, although honestly I am not that surprised. It takes a lot of patience, determination and attention to details to perfect different crafts, same skills are very applicable to achieve FIRE
Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
davemartin88, thank you for opening such a great topic, I was really enjoying looking at all that work shared here, so many so talented people, although honestly I am not that surprised. It takes a lot of patience, determination and attention to details to perfect different crafts, same skills are very applicable to achieve FIRE
For me it's personally very rewarding to perfect skills. One does not have to do this in retirement. It's a choice.

Yes, perfecting skills was critical at work yet there is something different going on. Maybe it's just that these skills cannot be co-opted by an institution run by others. Not that those institutions are bad, have to admit they are a necessary part of society. It's just that I never felt I was in charge and always had to prove those skills to a manager.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote