What We're Making

Got a map in Key West. Framed it with some leftover african mahogany.

Attachments

• map frame1 5k.jpg
    map frame1 5k.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 41
I'll start with a couple of Christmas presents I'm making. First is a tree ornament with a lithograph of our sons cat which died this year. He asked me to make this for his girlfriend. First is the litho hanging in a window, second is the ornament hanging on our tree.

img_1818959_0_66f401bf6143c7a5ca0159a28fd3e534.jpg

img_1818959_1_35fe5d860c14fbed8993fcab2e9a8467.jpg

Does making the lithograph require a lot of equipment?

Is it glass? It looks like it may be something I would like to make for a fellow pet human.

Hope all had great holidays :greetings10:
more cookies to show - those were given as gifts to friends and family

Attachments

• 74C7689B-B7BF-4D95-A965-3C379EED3144.jpg
    74C7689B-B7BF-4D95-A965-3C379EED3144.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Ronstar, great work with map, I actually also have old map and was wondering how to display it, for some reason it did not cross my mind to custom frame it :facepalm: now have a project at hand :LOL:

Last edited:
I have been going through this thread little by little. I want to say that there is a lot of very talented people here. To many people to mention each one so I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their talents.

Hope all had great holidays :greetings10:
more cookies to show - those were given as gifts to friends and family

I am in awe of your talent and patience. If you ever need to make a few bucks, I bet a caterer would buy your cookies or pay you to decorate for them.

Dixonge, Great hat! Does it take long to make?

Exit2024, Those cookies look too good to eat.

Ronstar, great work with map, I actually also have old map and was wondering how to display it, for some reason it did not cross my mind to custom frame it :facepalm: now have a project at hand :LOL:

Thanks. You'll be hooked once you frame your map. You'll be looking for other things to frame.

Does making the lithograph require a lot of equipment?

Is it glass? It looks like it may be something I would like to make for a fellow pet human.

This one was done on a CNC machine, material is Corian countertop material, 1/4" thick. I used Vectric Photocarve software to make the image, then carved it on my computerized router so for me, a lot of of expensive equipment involved. Might be someone local that is doing these you could use?

dixonge, nice hat! I'm getting ready to go through some radiation/chemo along with some surgery soon so will need some of those!

This one was done on a CNC machine, material is Corian countertop material, 1/4" thick. I used Vectric Photocarve software to make the image, then carved it on my computerized router so for me, a lot of of expensive equipment involved. Might be someone local that is doing these you could use?

You should think of turning that into a side business!

That PhotoVCarve software is pretty cool! :cool:

I took a class yesterday where we learned the technique to do this. It's called thread painting. The woman who taught the class is self taught and as far as I know sort of invented this art form. She's won many awards for her quilts, and my little project doesn't come close to matching what she does, but I am pleased with my first attempt. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1483635035.299411.jpg

There's no paint involved. It's all fabric and thread.

So you are stitching by hand or machine around a picture that's already printed on the fabric? Or are you just accenting certain elements of the printed picture? Looks interesting.

So you are stitching by hand or machine around a picture that's already printed on the fabric? Or are you just accenting certain elements of the printed picture? Looks interesting.

Start with a printed panel like in the photo below. Fussy cut some flowers and leaves, use Heat &a Bond to attach to a new background.

All stitching is done by free-motion on a machine. Basically work from back to front, starting with quilting then layering on stitches to secure the edges, add details, texture, and outline. We used ten different colors of threads, to add depth and bring the printed colors to life. IMG_0374.JPG

Back
Top Bottom