Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #921
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
MIL likes this photo that I took in Sedona, so I framed it for her. Made the frame from leftover mahogany.
Nice, Ron, but that lower left mitre joint looks a bit off? Or is it the photo?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #922
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's mostly the photo. The face of the lower section of the frame is narrower than you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame.jpg (6.7 KB, 298 views)
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #923
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
It's mostly the photo.
I see.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #924
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Great. Now I just spent the last 2 hours wandering through the world of paracord wraps. And so goes another Friday night.

But thanks. I'll start with the Cub Scout wrap and see where I go from there.
Just two hours? Pah! Here is the mother lode: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

... and if you still have spare time after Stormdrane, here is the bible of the knot tying hobby: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashley_Book_of_Knots -- 3854 knots. A bowline, for example, is referenced as ABOK #1010.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #925
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
It's mostly the photo. The face of the lower section of the frame is narrower than you think.
Yes, judging based on the work Ronstar has posted previously, I don't think he could make a bad miter joint if he tried! I could give lessons (on bad miter joints, that is), if desired.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #926
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think that it's a bad photo with some bad lighting that is catching the plane of the frame that meets the matte on the bottom but not on the side if that makes any sense. Nice catch!

Hopefully these photos are a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo frame.jpg (507.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 2.29.28 PM.png (1.46 MB, 43 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #927
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cool thread!

I love doing home building projects and other stuff with my hands.

My latest project was remodeling my basement, namely putting in a bar. Prior to me starting this project the basement was already finished, but had fugly yellow painted walls (and only a single coat with streaks at that) and cheap stained tan carpet. That all had to go! So I put in a bar, a wood stove, tiled the bar area, laminate flooring in the rest of the basement, painted the walls, built a wine barrel drink table, and installed a copper ceiling and brick wall in the bar area. I finished the bar in 2016, and finished the floors, ceiling, and walls this year. I do still have a bit of trim work left to do to completely finish the project.

Enjoying an ale in the finished bar!

I did everything myself except the chimney for the wood stove. All-in about $7,000. I'd shudder to think of what it would have cost to pay someone to do it all, considering the chimney, which I paid someone to put in, cost a about 1/3 of the entire budget.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #928
Give me a forum ...

^ absolutely beautiful!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #929
Gone but not forgotten

That is the man cave of the year!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #930
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent man cave! And with 8 tappers.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #931

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ absolutely beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That is the man cave of the year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Excellent man cave! And with 8 tappers.
Thank you all for the kind words. Was a labor of love!

And I forgot to mention too that I also need to build a walk-in fridge behind the wall where the taps are. I did have a chest freezer that I converted to a kegerator, but the compressor died. The last chest freezer I bought off of Craigslist for $100 and died after only a year. Comparable sized new ones go for around $1000 or so. I can build the walk-in freezer for half the cost with twice the functionality. But until that's done, the 8 taps are just for show. lol
Old 11-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #932

I'm in awe of that bar. Makes my puny little beer fridge look pretty anemic. I can only have four beers on tap at a time.

Beer Frig.jpg
Old 11-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #933

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm in awe of that bar. Makes my puny little beer fridge look pretty anemic. I can only have four beers on tap at a time.

Attachment 33105
You have something that I don't have, which is a nitro setup!

And in actuality, if I were building this again, I would probably do between 4 and 6 taps. 8 taps is actually a bit much. It requires a bigger fridge to hold all the kegs, more potential CO2 leak points, and I really don't drink enough to keep new beers in rotation as much as I'd like. I have to invite friends and family over to kill kegs for me in order to put on new beers. I know, first world problems.

Any more pics of your kegerator?
Old 11-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Any more pics of your kegerator?
Just a basic refrigerator I have in my mancave part of the basement. I deliberately looked for a regular frig that would comfortably hold four ⅙ barrel kegs. Then just drilled holes for four taps on one side, and two holes on the other side for a CO2 line and a "Guinness gas" mix on the other side. A manifold takes the CO2 and splits it into three llnes. Each line has its own keg coupler attached, and of course the Guinness line has that special coupler. I also have keg couplers for most of the other specialized kegs that exist, and it's a simple matter to switch one into the rotation if needed.

The only real workaround needed is that if I want to have a real ale in a firkin, I need to put it on a separate bar, covered with an ice blanket and using a cask breather, with an Angram ¼ pint beer engine attached. But that's probably incomprehensible to the average American beer drinker so I won't belabor the point.

Mine is functional and certainly enough for me, but yours is just flat beautiful!
Old 11-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #935

Quote:
Just a basic refrigerator I have in my mancave part of the basement. I deliberately looked for a regular frig that would comfortably hold four ⅙ barrel kegs. Then just drilled holes for four taps on one side, and two holes on the other side for a CO2 line and a "Guinness gas" mix on the other side. A manifold takes the CO2 and splits it into three llnes. Each line has its own keg coupler attached, and of course the Guinness line has that special coupler. I also have keg couplers for most of the other specialized kegs that exist, and it's a simple matter to switch one into the rotation if needed.

The only real workaround needed is that if I want to have a real ale in a firkin, I need to put it on a separate bar, covered with an ice blanket and using a cask breather, with an Angram ¼ pint beer engine attached. But that's probably incomprehensible to the average American beer drinker so I won't belabor the point.

Mine is functional and certainly enough for me, but yours is just flat beautiful!
I didn't realize that Guinness kegs required special couplers. My setup is for ball-lock corny kegs only. I actually have no couplers for commercial kegs at all.

You have an Angram beer engine?! So cool!
Old 11-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #936

Quote:
I didn't realize that Guinness kegs required special couplers.
Oh, yeah!
When I was a homebrewer I also standardized on ball lock Corny kegs, but these days I just buy commercial beers.

US breweries use Sankey type couplers (D type)
Guinness uses their own U type, and some other (mostly English) breweries use it as well.
Other European breweries use A, D, G, M. or S type.

Here's a good reference:
Keg Coupler List: Picking the Right Coupler for Your Favorite Beer
Old 11-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #937

Quote:
Oh, yeah!
When I was a homebrewer I also standardized on ball lock Corny kegs, but these days I just buy commercial beers.

US breweries use Sankey type couplers (D type)
Guinness uses their own U type, and some other (mostly English) breweries use it as well.
Other European breweries use A, D, G, M. or S type.

Here's a good reference:
Keg Coupler List: Picking the Right Coupler for Your Favorite Beer
Wow. I didn't know there were so many. I've never used a commercial keg, only homebrew Cornies, so I had no idea. Good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #938
Moderator Emeritus

Added another hiking stick to the collection. Found a black locust grove along a local hiking trail. Ranger said that I could take a downed stick. Stained it with a black gel stain, added a little teak oil and a paracord handle.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 11.36.32 AM.png (1.75 MB, 46 views)
Old 11-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #939
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thank you all for the kind words. Was a labor of love!

And I forgot to mention too that I also need to build a walk-in fridge behind the wall where the taps are. I did have a chest freezer that I converted to a kegerator, but the compressor died. The last chest freezer I bought off of Craigslist for $100 and died after only a year. Comparable sized new ones go for around $1000 or so. I can build the walk-in freezer for half the cost with twice the functionality. But until that's done, the 8 taps are just for show. lol
Check out any florist or small business that is closing, retiring or selling out. The winery where I help out at, purchased 2 beverage refrigerators from gas station/grocer store that were closing or remodeling. My florist friend, who is retiring, sold off his phone list, rolodex and contacts. He is also a winemaker, and he kept one small unit for himself, and he sold off the others seperately.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #940
Moderator Emeritus

Made DW a small ring box. Didn't want to make a huge one that she would feel the need to fill up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringbox closed.jpg (697.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg ringbox open.jpg (692.5 KB, 59 views)