What will the first day be like?

setab

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm not all that worried about what I will do following retirement. In fact, I'm already eliminating things for the near term because I have too much planned. But, what can/should I expect the first day or two? I know my urge will be to get up and DO something. Thanks.

setab

setab said:
But, what can/should I expect the first day or two? I know my urge will be to get up and DO something.

Not sure if my case was typical, but my last day of work was a Friday. As a result, the first day of retirement for me was a typical Saturday and I did the usual weekend stuff. That may have helped get that "DO something" situation out of my system.

The reality of retirement didn't really begin to hit home until Monday morning when I woke up with a big smile on my face realizing I never, ever had to do that commute again. I got up, had a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, and began living. :)

My advice is to just relax and enjoy the feeling of real freedom. Just go with the flow for a few days and you will slowly find your rythym.

I'm thinking that the first week or two will feel like vacation. I have plenty of things on my to-do list for the first couple of weeks. I'm thinking that the weirdness will not really set in for at least a few weeks. But I could be wrong!! I can't wait to find out, though!!

8)

I spent the first couple of weeks getting things done on my 'to do' list.

It took me awhile to relax and realize I could do it another day. My productivity is much lower now, after 7 months. Still have things on my list, they just aren't as important to me as they were.

I slept. Like 14 hours straight. I didn't realize how tired I was. Don't plan anything...just be! :)

Leslie is 100% right! :)

Don't get too worked up about it. I spent so much time thinking about all the things I wanted to do before I quit, and dove right in the next day. Now I'm feeling as overextended as when I was working, if not more. :-\ Take some time off, pretend the first few days (or weeks, or months) are vacation days... and just enjoy!

Expecting to fill every day with "activities" sounds a lot like w&#%...

HFWR,

And, for sure, I don't want that!

setab

Like a weekend, only with the giddy knowledge that you never have to go back.

I slept late, went to make coffee and spied a tequila bottle. Took a shot and went to the beach all day. Same thing the next day minus the tequila shot.

setab said:
But, what can/should I expect the first day or two? I know my urge will be to get up and DO something.
When that happens, you should recline comfortably and see if your body wants to take a nap. (Mostly because you CAN.) Your body probably knows how to handle the first few weeks better than you will, if only you listen to it.

If nothing happens after 20 minutes then get up and take a brisk walk. An hour or two later that nap thing will take care of itself...

I spent several hours of my first day of FIRE at the mechanic getting a bum tie rod switched out. In the days of yore (as in "Pain in Yore Ass") such forced idleness would have driven me ape-hockey, but I found myself perfectly contented to hang out, drink free coffee, read a book, and so forth. Towards the end the service department cashier and I were telling each other dirty jokes whenver the boss's back was turned.

Now, six or so months later, friends who see me for the first time since then are telling me I seem much more relaxed and fit. Thinking about myself back then is like seeing my own face from ten years back on fuzzy late-night cable.

Expect the first day to be great, and expect the subsequent ones to be even better.

Ed

The first few days turned into the first few months, spent time in the Fl keys, enjoyed sunsets,  fished and golfed, worked on a nice tan. Returned home in the spring, enjoyed yard work and the garden...received telephone call in the fall that my replacement wasn't working out.   Now I am flying (two hours) each Sunday night back to the office...and Monday night flying back to the RV (south florida).    Enjoy your RE...you never know!

Dave

gratefuled said:
I spent several hours of my first day of FIRE at the mechanic getting a bum tie rod switched out.
Sounds almost as painful as "grinding your beans". Hope you didn't have to use a proctologist for that!

I am beginning to see a pattern in most of these threads...grinding your beans, lead in your pencil, CFB's avitar. Or is it just me?

setab

Wahoo,

I'm really beginning to like you, or that just me too.

setab

setab said:
Wahoo,

I'm really beginning to like you, or that just me too.

setab

It's just you. Or maybe it's those new pheromones Wahoo has been experimenting with lately.

setab said:
I am beginning to see a pattern in most of these threads...grinding your beans, lead in your pencil, CFB's avitar.  Or is it just me?
Once again you've answered the question "What do you DO all day?!?"

I am finding the language and tone of this forum to be discomforting, causing me to identify it as a toxic environment. I believe this constitutes harassment and I wanna sue. Anyone know a lawyer that isnt too busy socking it to the health care industry?

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I am finding the language and tone of this forum to be discomforting, causing me to identify it as a toxic environment. I believe this constitutes harassment and I wanna sue. Anyone know a lawyer that isnt too busy socking it to the health care industry?

You are going to have to do better than this to bait me. ;)

No problem, I had already ruled you out. I figured if you werent tied up socking it to the insurance companies and a bunch of innocent doctors, that you were trying to get some sort of suit going against the oil companies for the healthful additives they're pumping into the air and water and the beneficial climate changes that will help people in minnesota sell their homes to texans at a huge markup once texas' average daily temps hit 150 degrees. Higher.

justin said:
It's just you.  Or maybe it's those new pheromones Wahoo has been experimenting with lately.

Smells like freshly-baked wheat bread...

Back
Top Bottom