Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Good points. By " fairly typical" I mean that the expenses for the last year were typical of the expected expenses going forward.
So that means you had some of the unusual (non-annual) expenses, or only the predicted annual expenses? That's the point I'm trying to make, to see if you were really $10K under or if you were just able to defer ~$10K of expenses that are coming down the line. My action would depend on that, because I sure wouldn't blow extra money if I just happened to have a fortunate year with the unusual expenses.

This is also why when I hear people talking about tracking expenses for two years, I take it with a grain of salt because you don't know whether those two years included any of those irregular expenses.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #22

To me the key in your scenario is "at 60". So you probably have SS coming as well as medicare in a few years. So 3 or 4.

At 50, more between 1 and 2, then go back to the 3 and 4 scenario if the lower spend is a true pattern after say 3 years.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
What would you do in this scenario?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

What would you do in this scenario?

Personally, It's only been two years and I haven't come up with anything definite yet, but I am thinking of doing a modified 2&4. Left over money from the budget made for emergencies, auto maintenance, house maintenance, medical, 1/2 travel, 1/2 hobby to go into a rainy day reserve fund, and move the left over money from groceries/living expense/entertainment/eating-out to become extra "spend on anything I want" fund the following year. Or something like that.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

None of the alternatives has a downside... what does David1961 think?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

#1 and #2 are really the same: You ain't spending the money unless you have to.

Sometimes spending money on frivolous stuff is not satisfying. I would probably let my wife make some more charitable donations. Those can always be cut back if one couldn't afford it. Or spend $10,000 on taxes for a Roth conversion.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would do a hybrid of 1 and 2. Since the first 10 years are the critical years, I would continue to spend as I thought I would be spending (between $50k/$60k), and continue to accumulate any leftovers for the first 10 years. At about year 8 or 9, I would see how my portfolio is doing, and what my expenses continue to be. I would then likely spend that accumulated excess (assuming the portfolio is still at least as large as when I started on Year 1), perhaps spending it over the next year or 2 on something fun and special.