What's Good About Being Retired?

For many people, having complete control of one's time is a curse rather than a blessing. Once the structure provided by w*rk is gone, one becomes responsible for a lot of things that were previously given by the j*b, and this can be an overwhelming responsibility.

In this forum, the above is the exception rather than the rule. But we're not "normal" in this regard.

This sounds very similar to when the wall came down in 1990. Generations being told what do by the Motherland now had to figure life out on their own. From what I understand, numerous mental issues and a higher than normal suicide rate.:(

I agree with all of these comments! I am in month 10 of my early retirement and I have to say the things I thought I would miss I don't.
And I thought I would be like a volunteer person but as it turns out I am not so I chose not to despite being bugged the first month to do this or do that. I kindly declined.
My whole life was dedicated to work and making ends meet, I feel like I paid my dues this is 100% my time :) and it feels better than wonderful!

As someone who still works a few hours each day, I would say one aspect is really about financial independence and not "retirement".
Having the ability to say: "I quit, I don't need the money." removes a significant source of stress.

Turning the alarm clock off removes stress. We get up when we (or, sometimes, the cats) want.
Not commuting removes stress. When you drive, you have a feeling of "I will get there when I get there".
Adding more exercise to your lifestyle lengthens your healthy life. See https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2707428

+1
I retired 54 weeks ago. I've been doing a bit of consulting from home, but mostly I've been retired.

Some of the good things:

• I removed the alarm clock from the bedroom the evening I retired - hallelujah! Mornings are so non-stressful now - no getting up to an alarm, no hurrying to wash, dress, eat, commute, no racing to get something done in time for an early meeting, etc.
  • Paying attention to what I really want to do in the moment and then (often) getting to be able to do just that is amazing
  • Not having to deal with Dilbert-esque corporate nonsense is fantastic
  • Having time to focus on health (exercise, cooking healthy meals, etc.) is really good, especially with the cost of health care
  • Finally having time to really explore hobbies is exciting to me - it feels as if a whole new chapter in my life is starting just in that regard
  • Having time to take better care of things such as the house, yard, car, appliances, is also good.
Some of the not-as-good-things:

• I have been really surprised at how little social interaction I now have, even though 50% of my friends are also retired. I really need to work on that.
  • Although I've run the numbers scores of times and know we'll be okay, I do miss the paycheck. I think differently about buying things, and while that is mostly a very good thing, sometimes I find myself not spending $$ I would not have thought twice about spending while working.
  • Sometimes I have to consciously work at mental stimulation. I had an intellectually challenging position, and haven't yet figured out how to replace that stimulation, although I do have a few ideas.

To the OP, as a recent retiree (end of June this year, my view):

Paycheck: Yes, I gave up a big paycheck. However, since DW and I were saving close to 40% of our gross income, our spending (which has been less frugal than I was working) has not been impacted. We are benefiting from my pension with enough in savings so that our planned SWR was less than 2.5% for a generous retirement... and so far we have not come close to that.

Social: I still maintain some social contact with my former co-workers. I am still on their lunch invite list, and have gone to a few. They also have a golf tournament they invite retirees to, and I go to that. Many of them have my new email so we can still arrange social events.

What I like about retirement in these first 4 months:
- Being able to wake up every day and choose how I will spend my time.

- Being able to choose not to do anything at all. Based on input from other recent retirees, I decided I would not get into any additional volunteering beyond what I was doing while working, or part-time/consulting work (I have had several requests) for at least 6 months. I use the time instead to relax and meditate about what I may choose to do in the future.

- Spending more time with DW. Yeah, I know this is *not* what a lot of retired couples look forward to. But my DW is a wonderful, beautiful, sexy, active person, and we are spending as much time together now that we can. She is still working (by her choice) part-time, so that creates a good balance.

- Choosing spur of the moment activities. At the drop of the hat, I can decide to go golfing, hiking, or biking. Earlier this month DW had a week break from teaching and we decided on a whim to spend that week at the beach - nice hotel, off season, and warm weather made it more than worthwhile.

My observation is that the above items are very dependent on ones health, and, though we think we are good, finances. The time may come when, for health reasons, I cannot choose what I want to do, or spend what time I want with DW, or choose spur of the moment things. Or our finances may have to go towards things we cannot choose, like health-related issues. So, while we are healthy and have our desired level of savings/investments to support it, it makes sense to do these things.

My observation is that the above items are very dependent on ones health, and, though we think we are good, finances. The time may come when, for health reasons, I cannot choose what I want to do, or spend what time I want with DW, or choose spur of the moment things. Or our finances may have to go towards things we cannot choose, like health-related issues. So, while we are healthy and have our desired level of savings/investments to support it, it makes sense to do these things.

+1

One on the main reasons I FIRE'd is to enjoy life with DW while we are still healthy and energetic. It's wonderful to hear that you and DW have such a good relationship. It certainly helps ease the transition into retirement. While there were a few folks I enjoyed w*rking with, I would rather spend the rest of my days having fun with DW :dance:

+1

One on the main reasons I FIRE'd is to enjoy life with DW while we are still healthy and energetic. It's wonderful to hear that you and DW have such a good relationship. It certainly helps ease the transition into retirement. While there were a few folks I enjoyed w*rking with, I would rather spend the rest of my days having fun with DW :dance:

+2
My DGF has had a few minor health issues lately, so it is another reminder that if one doesn't have health, no monies can make up for it.
She is on the mend though, so fingers crossed.

I think this is just the process you need to go through in order to make the transition. I think you need to ask yourself what you're retiring TO, not just what you're retiring from. I, for one, have never been defined by my career or how much I make, so when I'm ready financially (shouldn't be too much longer now), I know there will be nothing holding me back.

If you're not ready to leave behind the paycheck, consider working part time at something you like, maybe a tennis center if you like tennis or a marina if you like boats. You may find that you don't want to retire, you just want to leave your job. Good luck.

I think this is just the process you need to go through in order to make the transition. I think you need to ask yourself what you're retiring TO, not just what you're retiring from. I, for one, have never been defined by my career or how much I make, so when I'm ready financially (shouldn't be too much longer now), I know there will be nothing holding me back.

If you're not ready to leave behind the paycheck, consider working part time at something you like, maybe a tennis center if you like tennis or a marina if you like boats. You may find that you don't want to retire, you just want to leave your job. Good luck.
One of my favorite quotes:
[FONT=&quot]Sometimes we stare so long at a door that is closing that we seek too late the one that is open."[/FONT]

As I’ve often said, from 1960-2015, I got up when told, ate when told, often had to get permission to go to the “facility”, tried to squeeze in some semblance of a life, then went to bed when told. I’m supposed to miss that?

In reality, the best part of FIRE, and the most scary, is that I’m now “in charge”!

I'm 3.5 years from FIRE and wanted to say that this thread has really helped me. My wife swears that I am going to be bored when I leave but I think you guys have changed my mind.

As I’ve often said, from 1960-2015, I got up when told, ate when told, often had to get permission to go to the “facility”, tried to squeeze in some semblance of a life, then went to bed when told. I’m supposed to miss that?

In reality, the best part of FIRE, and the most scary, is that I’m now “in charge”!

Amazing truth here!

LOL, like W2R, I am introverted. Choosing how much human interaction I have each week is priceless. Plus, as many others said, choosing how to use your time is delightful.

You can structure new ways to enjoy work-type friends. I volunteer at Habitat ReStore as a cashier every Saturday, for example, and love the camaraderie I used to have at the office.

I prefer to think that I'm not antisocial...I'm just social with those I want to be social with.

Top reasons given so far seem to be:

1. Master of my own time and/or no more alarm clock
2. No commute
3. No office politics or crappy bosses
4. Ability to take naps
5. Freedom to travel whenever without worrying about vacation time.

BINGO!

Totally playing devil's advocate here:

1. Master of my own time and/or no more alarm clock--Bored! Even working I have plenty of free time.
2. No commute--commute is really easy now
3. No office politics or crappy bosses--office politics are bare min and bosses are cool.
4. Ability to take naps--go to bed earlier and you won't need a nap
5. Freedom to travel whenever without worrying about vacation time.--I go on plenty of trips now.

OK, Those 5 are all good things when retired. Those responses I added are some things I have heard from people when talking about ER.

I was just pretty much pushed out of my job a month ago- age 62. I had to resign or put up with the new sociopath boss. I chose to leave. Thank goodness my husband is working.

But- I felt a little like you do- the main thing losing the paycheck scares me- as well as being on a much tighter budget. I also miss some of the socialization.

I also worry about health insurance once my husband retires, as I am covered under his employer. He is 64 right now.

But- I wouldn't trade being home now for anything. The best thing is not dealing with the crazy boss and all the BS, and not being a slave time wise. The schedule of work was beyond getting to me anyway.

I don't have the wear and tear ion my car anymore- in fact we are getting rid of one of our3. I won't have to drive in the winter weather, which is a big relief.

Now I just do all the things during the day that I used to have to squeeze in around my job- in the morning, at night or weekends. It is a much more balanced and relaxed life.

I am currently reading an old book called "the Joy of Not Working" You might want to check it out.

Last edited:
I just got back home from one of my "multiple errands" trips. These tips are pretty common and easy when I do them between 10:30 AM and 12 noon on a weekday. The bank, library, supermarket, and pharmacy are all pretty empty this time of day. I was even able to use the often-busy bottle return machine to get rid of a bunch of empties in my car's trunk from a few weeks ago.

It sure beats trying to get all of this done on a busy and crowded Saturday morning when I worked full-time.

I'm often asked what I like about retirement. My answer is always the same. "I don't have to be at any particular place at any particular time." I guess it boils down to I'm master of me.

Retiring early is the best things I've every done. I'm happy, get to volunteer (right now, I'm a CASA), and doing what I want to. We are both very busy with hobbies and seeing friends.

At 56, I turned in my resignation (Oct 2016). Things were going weird in my company. I was part of a sold division, and I had very little time to nail down that my pension/ early retirement (0ver 55/10 insurance) travelling with me to the newco. I got the runaround from every person I spoke to about the matter. The second I heard "don't worry- everything will be fine" I knew my days were numbered. That was when I planned my escape with early retirement. That included:

Half price medical for me- my half is $600/ mo.

We own everything we have, and have solar on our roof.

I have a 400k IRA which I doubt I'll need to use until I am 65 or more.

We have easily converted to cash $ 150k. It's the same 100k cash we had when I retired, so we haven't had to spend any of it.

My pension has 100% survival pymt to hubby if I get to the pearly gates sooner than he does. Hubby is on SS/ Medicare gets around 1800/mo.

We aren't travelling overseas. We have spent time in other states and will continue to do so. All in all, we've not even touched

At 58, I'm very grateful that we were able to cobble this together so that we could spend time with each other in retirement... Hubby is 13y older than I.:cool:

Don't forget, some of these people ARE the bosses and probably know they won't have minions at their beck and call in retirement, and would miss the power.

I know of others who kept working because they didn't want to stay at home all day with a spouse they really didn't get along with that well. And I've heard of more stories of that stay-at-home spouse who wish the other had not retired because they totally disrupted the home routine, not for the better.
Mom, to Dad, when he announced his retirement at 59: I married you for better or for worse, but not for lunch.

I am writing this after 1AM because I’m up sick thinking about what happened at work yesterday and how it all starts again in a few hours. Will retire in a few months and don’t expect to miss a thing! Good bye megacorp.

I am writing this after 1AM because I’m up sick thinking about what happened at work yesterday and how it all starts again in a few hours. Will retire in a few months and don’t expect to miss a thing! Good bye megacorp.

Been there, done that...

Hang in there. Escape is coming soon!

FB
FIRE Class of 2015

Hey, here's one: I've got a steak I wanted to grill today. But rain is moving in this afternoon. Really, really nice right now though. So I fired up the grill, and I'm having steak for lunch! I'll have my lunch sandwich for dinner.

Hey, here's one: I've got a steak I wanted to grill today. But rain is moving in this afternoon. Really, really nice right now though. So I fired up the grill, and I'm having steak for lunch! I'll have my lunch sandwich for dinner.

Those are the little things that one can't relate to unless retired. :dance:

I was shocked at how fast I got over the paycheck, the status, the social connections. It was all very rapidly overwhelmed by freedom, the freedom to do what I want when I want. It took me less than two years to forget all that other stuff I "gave up".

Back
Top Bottom