What's with the moving to Florida thing??

I agree.

Please don't do it and also encourage others not to move here.

It's getting crowded (for some reason).

I moved to FL 7 yrs ago. I never could get warm during those long Chicago winters. Used to drink hot tea all day just to keep my hands warm! I love it here. Yes, the summers are very hot and humid. But so is Illinois. And at least down here there is always a breeze, everything is green (because summer is the rainy season) and the sunsets are exquisite. Oh and did I mention how much us year-rounders love it when the tourists and snowbirds leave? We get out town back! Plenty of parking, little traffic and restaurants that are happy to see you. It’s like another world and I, for one, love it.

I totally agree!

I totally agree!

Just got back from Hollywood/Hallandale, FL for vacation. While there, DW and I took a trip to Naples. Truth be told, I'm smitten. What a beautiful place is Naples.

I don't understand why it's not like Miami. Small population, less congestion, open spaces.

I don't understand why it's not like Miami. Small population, less congestion, open spaces.

SHHHHH, don't tell everybody. They'll all want to come down here. ;)

What's the "party line"? Florida is full of alligators, pythons, sharks, mosquitoes, hurricanes, hot, humid weather, etc/ etc/

SHHHHH, don't tell everybody. They'll all want to come down here. ;)

What's the "party line"? Florida is full of alligators, pythons, sharks, mosquitoes, hurricanes, hot, humid weather, etc/ etc/

The dew point for Naples, Florida is 81 deg. F right now, so the answer for humid weather is yes. :)

Just chiming in here that I really appreciate these threads covering different places to live. I'm thinking ahead to when DC is flown the nest and trying to narrow down possible places I might like to be (or not be).

Just got back from Hollywood/Hallandale, FL for vacation. While there, DW and I took a trip to Naples. Truth be told, I'm smitten. What a beautiful place is Naples.

Give it time!

Yes this weather does exist in a very popular expat place in Central Mexico called Lake Chapala. We gave some consideration in retiring there for a few years, but ended up in FLA.

We have best of both worlds; a beach house in St. Pete area of FL and a lake house at Lake Chapala. Works for us!

Why so? You ever been there, Lake Chapala that is?

I have not been there.... but what I read about it is not at all encouraging.

https://www.focusonmexico.com/noisy-dirty-dangerous-lakeside/

Recently some Lakeside expats who decided to return to their home country shared their grievances about the Lake Chapala area with us. After living here a few months their analysis was that Mexico is lawless, chaotic, messy, noisy, dirty and dangerous. To their credit, they realized that this is not the life for them and made the decision to go home. One of them, showing a good sense of self-awareness commented, “I guess I’m not as flexible as I thought I was.” It’s certainly true that Mexico is not for everyone and while international living blogs paint it and other Latin countries as a retirement paradise for northern baby boomers, the difficulties of adapting to life in a foreign county, particularly for those who have not traveled extensively outside of their home country, are often underemphasized.

As I thought, hearsay, it would be more advantageous to hear from folks with actual experiences. All else clouds the mind.

We read the same for a lot of Mexican locations, upon visiting things were totally different. We no longer listen or base our decisions on those who have no personal experience on internet forums. Mexico is no worse than any comparable US location.

Some folks will believe anything they see on the Internet, look where that gets them..

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty broad generalization. When contrasting locations between Mexico and the US one must be specific IMO.

You miss the point, when offering advice to others, one should make decisions based on one's own experience(s) or that of one's friends that are trusted. We have been to may places in Mexico, and found them all Friendly and inviting, easy to get around etc. One just needs to be as cautious as one would in any unfamiliar locale. Otherwise one would never leave the comfort of their own 4 walls.

As I thought, hearsay, it would be more advantageous to hear from folks with actual experiences. All else clouds the mind.
Bought a home at Lake Chapala in 2008 after a year's search for a Mexican home (San Miguel de Allende and several beach areas). Lived there until late 2012 when eldercare issues in the US required us to return.

After that task sadly ended, we contemplated our next move. We are lucky to have sufficient savings and income to live anywhere in the world.

And once again we chose Lake Chapala.

Happy to answer any specific q's.

Bought a home at Lake Chapala in 2008 after a year's search for a Mexican home (San Miguel de Allende and several beach areas). Lived there until late 2012 when eldercare issues in the US required us to return.

After that task sadly ended, we contemplated our next move. We are lucky to have sufficient savings and income to live anywhere in the world.

And once again we chose Lake Chapala.

Happy to answer any specific q's.

Thank you, so much more useful to members here than this:

You miss the point, when offering advice to others, one should make decisions based on one's own experience(s) or that of one's friends that are trusted. We have been to may places in Mexico, and found them all Friendly and inviting, easy to get around etc. One just needs to be as cautious as one would in any unfamiliar locale. Otherwise one would never leave the comfort of their own 4 walls.
Personal experience gives one view, media reporting gives another. For someone looking to make a list of places to live, both can be relevant, but much more information is needed. I would not discount or discredit either.

Last edited:
Both are anecdotal... not sure what SWR means by hearsay... in the case of the link it is based on input from people that have lived there and chose to leave.

I'm glad it is working out for mexexpat... just not sure if his experience is typical or unusual.... hard to know with a sample of one.

Last edited:
Pretty much spot on description of Southern California except for the “somewhat affordable” part.
We live in the best kept secret in SoCal, Ventura County. It is "somewhat affordable". I was glad to get out of LA county with its politics and taxes.

Both are anecdotal... not sure what SWR means by hearsay... in the case of the link it is based on input from people that have lived there and chose to leave.

I'm glad it is working out for mexexpat... just not sure if his experience is typical or unusual.... hard to know with a sample of one.

Mexico is not for everyone. Being an expat is not for everyone. Many that try it are ill-prepared and don't last long.

Many think it will be paradise and they will live a life of extreme luxury on 1K USD a month (ha! those days are long gone). Others are reluctant to embrace (or at least, accept) the local way of life; they don't learn much Spanish, they live in gated communities on the hillsides, they complain about how things are done here and don't understand why locals won't change their ways to accommodate them.

Successful expats come with open minds, a sense of adventure, a sense of humor and a sense of the (sometimes) absurd.

Not all expats come thinking they will stay forever; many come and go after a few years and most of them are happy to have experienced the expat lifestyle for a few years or more.

PS: I'm a her.

Mexico is not for everyone. Being an expat is not for everyone. Many that try it are ill-prepared and don't last long.

Many think it will be paradise and they will live a life of extreme luxury on 1K USD a month (ha! those days are long gone). Others are reluctant to embrace (or at least, accept) the local way of life; they don't learn much Spanish, they live in gated communities on the hillsides, they complain about how things are done here and don't understand why locals won't change their ways to accommodate them.

Successful expats come with open minds, a sense of adventure, a sense of humor and a sense of the (sometimes) absurd.

Not all expats come thinking they will stay forever; many come and go after a few years and most of them are happy to have experienced the expat lifestyle for a few years or more.

PS: I'm a her.

FYI

If you update your profile then we won’t have to guess your gender.

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Profile: mexexpat

Round one: Mexico City, versus Baltimore! :p

OK I will bite, having traveled extensively to both in my w%rking years, I would take Mexico City as my preference, but I like Mexico in general. Now, if you had said Sau Paulo, or Rio, that would have been different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom