What's with the moving to Florida thing??

Can I ask, why you are leaving Florida?

The heat. The humidity. The changing population demographics. The rising crime.

On a related note, I carry a specialty insurance policy on some of my toys. The insurance salesman said that if I lived one county to the south they would not cover me because of the crime statistics in that area. Although this insurance company is based in Massachusetts, this insurance agent used to have a condo on Hutchinson Island just to the south of me. He remarked that the blight from South Florida has been advancing north. Pretty soon they may no longer offer coverage in my county.

You are either in Indian River County and talking about Martin County, or Brevard County, and are talking about Indian River?

The heat. The humidity. The changing population demographics. The rising crime.

On a related note, I carry a specialty insurance policy on some of my toys. The insurance salesman said that if I lived one county to the south they would not cover me because of the crime statistics in that area. Although this insurance company is based in Massachusetts, this insurance agent used to have a condo on Hutchinson Island just to the south of me. He remarked that the blight from South Florida has been advancing north. Pretty soon they may no longer offer coverage in my county.

I live in Indian River. I work in Brevard. I’m often in other areas though. It is generally agreed that on the east coast south of Jupiter it is like a whole different world. And not for the better.

The cut off line for the insurance I was referring to is the county line between Indian River and St. Lucie. Martin county is to the south of Saint Lucie County

Plenty of areas to the north of me on the east coast where I also would not want to spend any time. What used to be the tourist mecca of Daytona is filthy, dirty, and riddled with drug users. Jacksonville is full of thugs, urban sprawl, and all the negatives that go along with that.

There are beautiful retirement communities and subdivisions in various pockets of east coast Florida. My experience though has been that once you leave the isolation of those communities you find yourself right in the thick of an atmosphere that I have no desire to be in.

I'm close to retiring. As of now I'm planning on moving to East Tennessee. Somewhere around the Cumberland Plateau.

Well, according to this chart based on per capita, Tennessee is number 4 for Crime and Florida is number 18. Rural areas are not as peaceful as you think. Quite the opposite a lot of the time. Not many watching. Fewer Police around etc. (Good place for Meth Labs, etc.) Are you seeing a lot of crime, or just people that look like they might commit a crime? (Based on ? - Other Cultures etc.?)

List of Dangerous States

Well, according to this chart based on per capita, Tennessee is number 4 for Crime and Florida is number 18. Rural areas are not as peaceful as you think. Quite the opposite a lot of the time. Not many watching. Fewer Police around etc. (Good place for Meth Labs, etc.) Are you seeing a lot of crime, or just people that look like they might commit a crime? (Based on ? - Other Cultures etc.?)

List of Dangerous States

Western Tennessee likely skews the average. According to the FBI table that article points to as its source (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-3) and assuming I did the math correctly, rural Tennessee has a lower violent crime rate than urban areas - about .0028 to .00425 crimes/person/year. FYI - the FBI has another table that breaks things down by its definition of metro areas: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-4

List of Dangerous States

I personally see a lot of crime in Florida. Everything from property crimes, domestic violence, a whole lot of drug overdoses, as well as homicides. Insurance fraud is very prevalent also. In the areas of automobile insurance as well as medical insurance fraud. The number of unlicensed and uninsured drivers on the road is another cause for frustration.

Certain areas of Tennessee, including an area that I am looking at, have a decent amount of property crime. Other areas of Tennessee that I looked at and ruled out have high drug abuse issues from opioids and meth. The crimes that go along with that are also prevalent in those areas.

Regarding those FBI statistics, they do need to be taken with a grain of salt though. A lot depends on how a local jurisdiction goes about reporting their crimes. The FBI list is only as good as the data received. .

Last edited:
I personally see a lot of crime in Florida. Everything from property crimes, domestic violence, a whole lot of drug overdoses, as well as homicides. Insurance fraud is very prevalent also. In the areas of automobile insurance as well as medical insurance fraud. The number of unlicensed and uninsured drivers on the road is another cause for frustration.

Florida may have its share of crime problems, but so does every other state. Specific location is everything, as others have said. South of Jupiter, Florida, may be an undesirable area, but every state has many areas that are the same or worse. There are certainly areas in Florida that are relatively safe, just as there relatively safe areas in every other state. You really have to look at the specific area to draw any conclusions. And of course, this changes over time also......nothing is static.

Florida may have its share of crime problems, but so does every other state. Specific location is everything, as others have said. South of Jupiter, Florida, may be an undesirable area, but every state has many areas that are the same or worse. There are certainly areas in Florida that are relatively safe, just as there relatively safe areas in every other state. You really have to look at the specific area to draw any conclusions. And of course, this changes over time also......nothing is static.

Exactly.
Boca Raton and Coral Gables are just 2 examples of areas south of Jupiter which are considered fairly upscale.

Here's another tidbit about Florida that might influence some people - Vultures.

It seems a community in West Palm Beach is plagued by them. This report https://time.com/5654467/florida-home-vulture-invasion/
A New York couple’s luxurious vacation house in Florida has been taken over by dozens of black vultures that are vomiting and defecating everywhere.

Siobhan Casimano described the smell as “like a thousand rotting corpses.” The vultures have destroyed screen enclosures, and have overtaken the pool and barbeque. The few times the family has visited, they’ve had to park their car in the garage or the birds peck at them with their beaks.

I can't deal with the heat or humidity. Have spent a few days in the south (Florida, NOLA, Charleston) and it's pretty but I was pretty miserable too

And now, another cat 3/cat 4 hurricane heading towards the central part of the state. Who leaves, who stays ?

We like visiting FL for a week or two each year. Usually in September...we really like the St. Augustine area that time of year. I could live in N. Florida, or maybe anywhere north of Orlando, but I'll pass on the southern part of the state. From iguanas, to pythons, wild boar....not to mention more than a few unsavory homo sapien types.

One thing that strikes me about FL is the lack of a sense of community most places you go. Everyone's from somewhere else and the vibe is kind of impersonal.... I sense a harder edge to a lot of folks down there.

One thing that strikes me about FL is the lack of a sense of community most places you go. Everyone's from somewhere else and the vibe is kind of impersonal.... I sense a harder edge to a lot of folks down there.

Interesting. That's the complete opposite of my experience. I've been snowbirding since 2012 in SW FL.

I have found, since most folks are from elsewhere (as you noted), that they are looking to build their social network and connections, as they don't have their extended families and lifelong friends nearby. Folks I've met in FL are FAR more receptive to everything from conversation, invitations for get-togethers, organizing tons of coffee gatherings/parties/day trips within the community. Some have self-organized groups of 8-15 for game nights, etc. Plus, there are dozens of activities (thru the libraries, park systems, art centers, museums, etc.) throughout the 2-county area here that are geared towards adult interests. I've met more people and done way more stuff with new friends and acquaintances in 7 winters in FL than in the 30 years I've lived in a lovely bedroom-community in SE Michigan where I only know my immediate neighbors enough to wave at them as they drive by.

omni

Last edited:
I think it is very location dependent ...

We're from Florida - panhandle. Have been surprised since our return that the neighbors are not friendlier, that new acquaintances are not as quick to offer a get together at their house as we are (the newcomers). We've had folks to our house several times, but no invites to theirs ... could be us :), but maybe just a busier group with kids, etc.

Interesting. That's the complete opposite of my experience. I've been snowbirding since 2012 in SW FL.

I have found, since most folks are from elsewhere (as you noted), that they are looking to build their social network and connections, as they don't have their extended families and lifelong friends nearby. Folks I've met in FL are FAR more receptive to everything from conversation, invitations for get-togethers, organizing tons of coffee gatherings/parties/day trips within the community. Some have self-organized groups of 8-15 for game nights, etc. Plus, there are dozens of activities (thru the libraries, park systems, art centers, museums, etc.) throughout the 2-county area here that are geared towards adult interests. I've done way more stuff in 7 winters FL than in the 30 years I've lived in a lovely bedroom-community in SE Michigan where I only know my immediate neighbors enough to wave at them as they drive by.

omni

Have had similar experiences. Way friendlier than the folks in the NYC metro area, including the non retirees.

Florida resort retiree second home oriented gated seems to be a particular culture that somewhat mirrors northern cottage country, people are separated from family and friends back north and are there to party.

We have heard of some people migrating out of the gate into normal neighbourhoods and retreating in horror from the isolation.

Our northern many decades city neighbourhood neighbours will barely make eye contact, though this is likely our fault having rejected overtures decades ago when we were numb from the rat race.

We like visiting FL for a week or two each year. Usually in September...we really like the St. Augustine area that time of year. I could live in N. Florida, or maybe anywhere north of Orlando, but I'll pass on the southern part of the state. From iguanas, to pythons, wild boar....not to mention more than a few unsavory homo sapien types.

I'm with Omni and Dtail. I've found that most of the people are quite friendly and are looking to build friendships and community. As to the critters, you get used to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/24/us/golfer-ignores-alligator-in-central-florida-trnd/index.html

I also agree with Omni & Dtail the people in Florida are friendly and looking for friends . It is the easiest place to make friends .

Back
Top Bottom