Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
You can, but you have to "check it in" which means they take the bottles away from you and then return them to you the last night on the ship.

Note - they have a small store in that area when you first get off the ship. We don't usually stop there, so not sure if you can taste test there or not. If you go into town where the main store is, you can taste test to your hearts content. They have a wide variety of other liqueurs and rum....but the vanilla is by far my (and my son's) favorite. And if you get anything, they will box it up and actually deliver it to the ship for you....
Thanks! I'll have to give it a try.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

A Brief History of Booze
Old 12-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

A Brief History of Booze

Misspent youth... highschool... old man with a greenhouse, made dandelion wine that he sold to us kids. Mason jars that he kept in an old cellar and sold for $.50.

Partied thru College with the lowest priced chianti from the Maine State Liquor Store. $.99 bottle... then, after the frat parties ended at 1 PM, and the girls went home... the young Korean Vets in their last year of college... emptied all of the leftover drinks, cans of beer, and whatever kind of alcohol or mixed drinks they (we) could find... poured the mixture through a loaf of bread, and partied the rest of the night on the few gallons that we colored with a quart of grenadine.

If there was anything left, we used it for the Sunday morning "get well" party, when the girls came back for the last day of the party weekend. (all male college)... They never knew...

Then long nights with fellow District Managers after the quarterly corporate meeting... best forgotten.

After retirement, in our senior community in FL, the $4/person parties... for 15 years... all the beer, wine or sangria you could drink included. We classified the parties as "one keggers, or two keggers"... Best part, no one ever got drunk... yeah... really!.

Now... when I remember... a one to five - 2 oz. martini at 4PM... and once in a while, a @$2.89 bottle of Winking Owl Shiraz from Aldi. Occasionally, in the summer, a can of beer, but that's always followed by a one hour nap. (sigh)

Ah, yes... as we used to say, "The days are too long... and the nights... not long enough."

Most favorite now? Iced tea.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Alcoholic - a good hoppy IPA, and nice red wine or a good peaty single malt

None alcoholic - a strong cup of black coffee
Old 12-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

non-alcoholic - whole milk, water, weak coffee with cream and sugar (won't drink unless there's cream), real ice tea, hot chocolate
Not a drinker but had small taste at a Thanksgiving party of Viniq, ChocoVine Expresso and Vine Smoothie Peach. The Viniq doesn't look like much sitting on the store shelf but shake it up and it's a beautiful purple iridescent pearl color and stays that way in your glass. The ChocoVine Expresso looks like mud in your glass but the chocolate aroma is wonderful. The Vine Smoothie comes in several fruit flavors. So if you're looking for something different for the holidays try one of these.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

My normal drinks are 12-15 year old Single Malt Scotch or a fine Brady - but, I am currently in a Dry Country so my poison is now Diet Sprite or Diet Coke.
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #46

When I was working 60 hrs per week: Coke Zero. Free from the doctor's dining room.

Now working two weeks per month, mostly 6 hr days: water, and when not on call, Chardonnay or Cabernet Savingion, California varietal. And for some weird reason, buttermilk.

I am finding soda kind of awful. And I am pleased I feel this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Canada Dry Seltzer water, regular water & Diet Coke. In the morning I like a good iced mocha with 1% milk(make these at home).
Alcohol - love Mac & Jack African Ale (local micro brew). Unfortunately I was recently diagnosed with celiac - haven't found a good gluten free beer. I enjoy KJ Chardonnay and Prosecco. Hard liquor drinks - Gin & Tonic (Tangueray) and a good Cadillac Margarita.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

As a Brit, I abhor California's love of the local, extra hoppy IPAs. Give me a nice Pale Ale anytime. Right now I'm working my way through a pack of Goose Island Honkers -- a favorite from the decades I spent living in Chicago. Of course, all men know what they'd rather be drinking!
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #49

I'd have to say ice cold milk but by frequency mine would be Diet Coke as well. Black tea is in second place. Beer, wine and coffee were tastes that I never acquired.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #50

Chocolate malted (with vanilla ice cream); chocolate ice cream soda; coffee with Silk French Vanilla creamer; Singapore sling (which the very hip and cool bartenders in West LA never heard of causing me to settle for a sunrise tequila); pina colada; strawberry margarita made with crushed ice; any drink that's red and orange that comes with a couple of cherries and an umbrella. Oh, yeah, a black Russian with vanilla ice cream (again). I don't like beer and I just never acquired much of an interest in wine. Regarding alcohol, whatever I'm having, one is my limit, more than that and I start singing show tunes--usually from South Pacific.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Beer - Corona Light or (Tiger Beer - when I can get it from overseas)
Liquor - Crown Royal
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

For someone who used to drink Cokes a lot, I don't even consider them anymore. Non-alky drink preferences for me are seltzer water, Pellegrino sparkling, Dunkin coffee. On the spirits side, as Sarah suggested, a pisco sour in Peru is mightyfine, and while I did learn to make them at home, there is too much work involved between the thirst and the slaking for me to make them often. For a walk down Mad Men lane I've discovered the bottomshelf buzz to be found in 3 (or4) fingers of Old Overholt rye over a single ice cube, but I'll pop for Bulleit when feeling festive.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #53

Partied thru College with the lowest priced chianti from the Maine State Liquor Store. $.99 bottle... then, after the frat parties ended at 1 PM, and the girls went home... [/QUOTE]

I'm impressed with the timeline. Partying til 1 PM. You guys were tough.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

During the day: Strong coffee in the morning, weak iced tea in the afternoon (no milk or sugar in either), several glasses of skim milk.

Evening adult beverages: Red wine, mildly hoppy beer (pale ales, stouts, etc.), and an occasional decent whiskey/whisky with one or two ice cubes floating in it. (Not in combination; I generally pick one, sometimes two of these for a given evening.)

Occasional Coke when I am craving one; occasional mixed drink to satisfy a crave or curiosity.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I'm concerned with the studies showing that diet drinks mess up the insulin-signalling biochemical pathways. I'm also concerned with drinking too much sugar. I also want to drink something sweet with no calories.

So how do I resolve all that? I now drink A&W RootBeer-10. I think it has enough artificial sweeteners to be sweet enough and low-carb enough, but with enough high-fructose corn syrup to keep the insulin pathways unfooled. Also, the strong root-beer flavor masks the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners. And I like the taste of root-beer.

Before/after exercise: Big glass of skim milk with a scoop of chocolate-flavored protein powder.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #56
gone traveling

Alcoholic: Red wine
Non Alco: Green Tea
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Alcoholic: Red wine
Non Alco: Green Tea

I used to drink a lot of green tea, until I had a kidney stone. My urologist told me to avoid all tea, along with spinach and a few other common foods. Haven't had a stone since.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Craft Ales and Riesling wine are my favorite drinks with alcohol. My daily favorite however is a Pepsi. I limit myself to one a day, but if a study would ever come out saying it was a health drink, I would drink a dozen a day easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #59

Vodka, splash of soda, splash of pink grapefruit/cranberry mixture. Fresh lime squeeze.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #60

My non-alcoholic summer drink is watermelon agua fresca

My go to alcoholic drinks are martini's and sidecar's.

My wife and I drink rose wine throughout the year.