What's your favorite thing about not having to go to w*rk???

I got along with almost everybody. But it takes only one bad egg to make your life miserable, if he's in the right position. Even worse, he seemed to keep following me around from job to job.

Finally I decided that there's something about corporate America that attracts, or even manufactures, @ssholes. It's a shame, because I never minded the work.

More time to spend with DW! More time with the kids. Time to do all the projects I want to do as the list just keeps on going. The ability to go to stores, the bank, and restaurants when they are not crowded. No BOSS. Time for long vacations one or two months at a time. Time to fish when the fishing is good. Time to help others when needed.

Notice the common item from above, I finally have control over my time!!!

Not having to get up early in the morning.

+1000. It feels so unnatural to get up before the sunrise (plus it's much colder out until the sun comes out) and to go to bed before I'm tired.

Sadly I still have a long ways to go before I can enjoy this :(

Getting up early is near the top of my list.

But the top reason is the damned commute on the trains. As I have mentioned many times in other threads, the long and sickening commute was my top reason for ERing. To give it further context, I was recently invited to attend an informal retirement luncheon for a former coworker at a friend's apartment (he lives near my former office but not walkng distance). I dislike so much the idea of making the trip again, even though it would be in the late morning, after the AM rush hour, that I am leaning strongly towards not going.

Other favorite reasons for not having to go to work are being able to do stuff at night after I come home from work, and being able to do errands during the day on weekdays.

At the recent school Scrabble tourney I ran last Wednesday, we were surprised by an appearance of a former (Scrabble) teacher/coach who retired after the last school year ended in June. We were talking about all the reasons she and I like about being retired and all of the ones mentioned in this thread were in her response. She so much enjoys being able to do errands during the day and meeting up with friends and relatives who do not work full-time.

I enjoy doing whatever I feel like at the moment. Kind of like being an ADD teen again. Kind of does up the stress when I actually have to do something on a schedule though...

Freedom from nasty people. The inevitable, unavoidable, Gollum-like nasty people.

Or working in retail, this can be the 'customers' that you are trying to serve/help. Sometimes the customer is not right, but you have to grin and bear it.

Customer: The sky is purple.
You: I'm sure it was blue when I came in today.
Customer: I'm telling you the sky is purple, are you calling me a liar?
You: No sir, what else can I do for you?
Customer: Are you being condescending to me? I spend a lot of money here!

Some members of society are so mean and nasty that I wonder how they have made it through life so far? Life is too short to be that mean all the time, every time. It is sad when certain people come up to the counter and all 6 people working see who can say 'not it' first.

That will be one of my favorite things about not going to work, when that day comes.

+1 There's nothing better than rolling over in bed and realizing that you'd be at work if you weren't retired. Then drifting off for a few more minutes just because you can!
+1 more ... going to sleep when you are tired and waking up when you are refreshed ... ahhhhhhhhh :dance:

i just realized i used a 4 letter word in the title of this thread- sorry about my potty mouth. Still pretty new to the forum. If there is anyone out there that can edit the heading, feel free to clean up my filth.

fify :)

So many of our responses revolve around sleeping in, and naps - - - I wonder if working people in other countries are as sleep deprived as most of us seem to have been when working. In my imagination, I visualize those in countries with institutionalized siestas as living an idyllic life during their working years.

Perhaps their gripe is "Can't take my siesta when I want to, have to do it on a schedule"! :LOL:

Amethyst

So many of our responses revolve around sleeping in, and naps - - - I wonder if working people in other countries are as sleep deprived as most of us seem to have been when working. In my imagination, I visualize those in countries with institutionalized siestas as living an idyllic life during their working years.

Reactions: W2R

Before I left for the USA I lived about 6 miles from the office, and car-pooled with 3 guys from the town I lived in. If I was driving I would leave the house at 8:10, otherwise I'd get picked up at 8:15. I'd be at my desk by 8:30.

Every lunchtime I'd go the the management club at Wilton Castle for a game of snooker and a pint. It was a 7.5 hr day, 1 hour for lunch, and I'd be home without fail by 5:30. I was in my mid 20's then and can honestly say that I really enjoying w*rking. :hide:

It only lasted for a few years before re-orgs, cost cutting etc meant I had to move on.

Photo is of Wilton Castle, which we visited while in England this year re-living some of those good memories.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 15
Sounds wonderful, Alan! I might not have retired had I had such great working hours and environment.

Lovely photo, too. What a beautiful place.

Sounds wonderful, Alan! I might not have retired had I had such great working hours and environment.

Lovely photo, too. What a beautiful place.

We lived there 6 years, both kids born there, and had a great 7 months this year in a rented house a short walk away from the house we used to live in. Here is a photo I took in March this year from a hill overlooking the town. I used to work just over the hill in the center of the photo towards the sea.

Attachments

• Guisborough - view from Highcliffe Nab to town.jpg
    Guisborough - view from Highcliffe Nab to town.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 13
Besides sleeping in the thing that I love about being retired is the ability to be spontaneous .

Besides sleeping in the thing that I love about being retired is the ability to be spontaneous .

Yes, but spontaneity has its time and place.

for me it is being able to still be in my jim-jams at 10.30 in the morning drinking a cup of tea in front of the computer. If I want to stay in said jim-jams all day I can.

And maybe even like dis?

Just joking, of course. :)

My brother often works from home. He said one time, he had to use the PC's webcam to do a telephone conference. He did not pay attention to what was in the background behind him, so was embarrassed when a coworker on the other end made some comments as to what his young son was playing with behind him. So, he made sure not to do that from the dining room table anymore, and had to make sure his dedicated study room was nice and neat.

Last edited:
A local TV weatherman just said,

"Now I don't want to scare you, but some of you may have a tough time on your way in to work tomorrow because of the (fog? winds?). I didn't hear the end of his sentence, but it really doesn't matter.
I'll be sound asleep...
Zzzz.gif

Some members of society are so mean and nasty that I wonder how they have made it through life so far? Life is too short to be that mean all the time, every time.

One wonders about that. The worst ones are either in jail or are (justifiable) murder victims.

Apparently there is at least one of those in every workplace. There is one where I work now but I rarely see him. As another guy put it "The man has a gift." His problem is readily apparent: I've never seen anyone as angry at the world as he is.

In the highly unlikely event he became a supervisor I would quit instantly.

Back
Top Bottom