Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At home: not having to get up in a cold, chilly morning.

At the office: not sitting in a conference call wondering "why the heck was i asked to attend this?"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We lived there 6 years, both kids born there, and had a great 7 months this year in a rented house a short walk away from the house we used to live in. Here is a photo I took in March this year from a hill overlooking the town. I used to work just over the hill in the center of the photo towards the sea.
Is that the North Sea beyond the hills?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Howdy,

Not having to deal with Stupid, incompetent management who think they know everything.

Oh, and relocating to Myrtle Beach from Boston and not dealing with snow.

see ya,

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not being told what to do or given frivolous projects by people I don't respect. Not having to worry about career and reward games or office politics. Can enjoy the holidays without worrying about some dopey project or crisis back at the office. Not having to ask permission to take a little extra time off to spend with family and friends.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post
Not having to deal with stupid, incompetent management who think they know everything.
You give them far too much credit.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

As a class of 2012er (Feb 24th, to be exact) I really love this thread. It resonates all that Im looking forward to and hope to find. Im retiring at 50, and my 11 year old son NEEDS to go fishing with me in the fishing boat that has been in my garage for the last three years, yes three years without use because I never took the time out of my 50-70 hour work weeks to spend with him.......
fwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
IFinally I decided that there's something about corporate America that attracts, or even manufactures, @ssholes. It's a shame, because I never minded the work.
One of the most insightful comments I have ever seen.
Mickslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Finally I decided that there's something about corporate America that attracts, or even manufactures, @ssholes.
Ah yes, the Peter Principle! Two of my favorite things about not having to go to work are: 1) No longer having to deal with bosses who rose to that position via the PP, and; 2) No longer worrying if that's how I got there myself!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I would like about retirement...Being able to join my already retired friends and doing neat stuff because I still have to go to work! You are an outcast because work holds you back...yes...I am still working...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave
What I would like about retirement...Being able to join my already retired friends and doing neat stuff because I still have to go to work! You are an outcast because work holds you back...yes...I am still working...
I have been retired for close to 2 years and enjoy it, however I am in the exact opposite position. My 2 best friends are about 3 years younger than me, but at least 15 years away from retirement despite being in same career. Plus, they both didnt bother to have kids until this past year. I will be 65 before they can go golfing again with me before making sure the kids dont need their attention. GF is probably 20 years away and she is only 4 years younger than me. Good thing I like my alone time.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have been retired for close to 2 years and enjoy it, however I am in the exact opposite position. My 2 best friends are about 3 years younger than me, but at least 15 years away from retirement despite being in same career. Plus, they both didnt bother to have kids until this past year. I will be 65 before they can go golfing again with me before making sure the kids dont need their attention. GF is probably 20 years away and she is only 4 years younger than me. Good thing I like my alone time.
Sounds like a situation where it's worth expanding your circle of friends...

I surf at least twice a week with guys (and gals) whose last names I've never learned. It's been this way for almost a decade.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Sounds like a situation where it's worth expanding your circle of friends...

I surf at least twice a week with guys (and gals) whose last names I've never learned. It's been this way for almost a decade.
I have a few other casual friends, nearby. We are talking about all joining a golf club and playing together. Good guys, funny but they are 15 years older, they are retired and have the time. Nords, your comment about your surfing buddies made me laugh. One of my friends I was referring to before he married a few years ago was dating a lady who had 2 kids. I asked him what were the names of the kids she had. He said " I dont know". Dated her for 6 months and never did no their names!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #73
Dryer sheet wannabe

No more uniforms .......
Oddjobdth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #74
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
No longer: large building with concrete floors and much light and noise and people and smells.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have only been retired a few months but the list keeps growing:

1) The commute
2) emails that were forwarded to my home email from the office
3) Office lighting & lack of windows
4) Having to deal with the owner's ego.
5) Not enough time to get my personal things done
6) Constant changing priorities on my projects
7) Not always being able to do my personal business during the day

Good things:
1) having a great co worker that shared my office.
2) having a wonderful COO. (He left just a month after I did)
3) being allowed to work from home
4) not really being pushed too hard for deadlines
5) Being the only part time employee and not having to put up with the nonsense
required of the full time staff.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote