Age 70-74 14 22.95%
Age 75-79 8 13.11%
Age 80 or over 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

When did you slow down?
Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When did you slow down?

It has often been said that retirement can be divided into three stages...the go-go years, the slow-go years, and the no-go years. Generally speaking I would define the go-go years as the time when you are still young and healthy and active enough to do active pursuits which may include travel and activities such as hiking, bike riding, etc. I would generally define the slow go years as the time when you can still do things but you are generally slower and less active and less mobile and overall you have less energy and drive to travel or engage in active pursuits.

So, for those of you who have been retired for some time and have made the transition from the go-go years, my question is at what age did you transition from the active go-go years to the slow-go years?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still in the go go years from a physical activity perspective, but "only" 60. Covid has artificially slowed down travel plans.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Was great until sepsis, age 77.......been working on getting it all back....'soon' (at age 78) getting a hip replacement and then up & running walking.

(Actually I'm still using the elliptical at almost maximum settings.)

A long way from being 60+ though...Sweet Bird of Youth...(apologies to Tennessee Williams .

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #4

Still kind of transitioning. Not as physically able after 60, but still able to do anything in moderation at 66. DW is just starting to feel a bit of decline at 60, but mostly just recovery time after exercise.

DW was ready to kayak during our Antarctica tip earlier this year. I was unsure of keeping up with the group and how sore I'd be afterwards so I declined. About the first time that's happened, but one more kayak paddle just wasn't worth the cost.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Until my heart attack in 2012, no impact at all. After that, my physical activity increased following doctors' orders.

AFIB caused another slowdown until properly treated. COPD has been responding well to treatment. The biggest issue now is arthritis in both hips. A drug Flex helps me over the hump but it is a constant battle against debillitating pain. It slows me down.

I would say I have been markedly slower in the last 24 months.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not yet, I’m only 61. So couldn’t answer the poll. I’m hoping to get to 80 before seriously slowing. That seems to match many that I know.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Not yet and I'm 66, DW is 64 but don't tell anyone. We're still very active for our ages.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I am monitoring my older siblings (71,70,67) who have not slowed down yet.

As long as I can briskly walk an 18 hole golf round at least once a day, I will not feel that I have slowed down.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Not yet, I’m only 61. So couldn’t answer the poll. I’m hoping to get to 80 before seriously slowing. That seems to match many that I know.
In my limited experience, 80 seems like a good goal. My dad was 80 when we went on a trip together. I was 50 a bit out of shape and I was just able to keep up with him. He’s 90 in a couple months and I’d say in his mid eighties, I started noticing him slowing down.

Of course this is a very individual question, but one thing I’ve learned from dad is that you have to keep moving. He’s been walking a couple miles practically every day since he retired at around 70. (I didn’t inherit his “work as long as you can” gene.)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Really noticed it about 65.... Of course I ran really hard until them. Each year now is slower going...

I now often think of myself as how I treated some of my older cars....They could still get the job done but I needed to drive them slowly, gently and give them plenty of rest in between excursions.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Really noticed it about 65.... Of course I ran really hard until them. Each year now is slower going...

I now often think of myself as how I treated some of my older cars....They could still get the job done but I needed to drive them slowly, gently and give them plenty of rest in between excursions.
Reminds me of the Toby Keith song:

I ain’t as good as I once was
But I’m as good once, as I ever was

I’m “only” 48, but I’m interested in this. My parents are just hitting their 70s, but have never been active. Dad has Type 2 diabetes, and I’m seeing some evidence of neuropathy when he walks. It highlights the importance of maintaining your health.

My MIL is 87, and she didn’t really start slowing down until she had a couple of falls in her late 70s. She was never an exerciser, but was very active in her home and garden. I think my DW will be similarly vital into old age. I’m 4 years younger, and hope I can keep up!
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

At age 50 I started having severe spinal issues that slowed me down significantly. Now I get nerve ablations in four locations that help significantly. After 60 arthritis and IBS have kept me slower than I’d like to be. I’m managing most of the issues so I’m able to get out, but regular exercise is difficult. If I could get to our Florida condo, the warm weather would help with the arthritis, but between COVID and an elderly father-in-law living with us, travel is not possible.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #13

I'm age 58. I have been a runner for the last 28 years (and during high school). My times up to age 52 were almost as good as they were in my 30's, then my race times started slowing at 53 and after. Haven't raced in a couple of years but it would be more of the same. Now I lumber along, but the victory is getting out there.

I still average 10,500 steps a day for November according to fitness watch. I just try to keep moving.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #14

Age 58, still very much in the go go years. Just kinda lost one due to Covid this year. Don’t plan to lose any more.

My expectations based upon watching my parents (especially my dad), is that go go years will last to 70. Slow go years hopefully to 80. Then 80+ probably are no go years. The decline in my dad once he reached 80+ was very noticeable. He’s 88 now and don’t think he’ll see 90 although you never know. Observing my oldest brother who is 64, he is already more or less in the slow go years. Bordering on no go years. But it’s an attitude issue with him. He could do things, but he’s convinced himself he can’t, and maybe he just doesn’t want to do much. So my conclusion is attitude matters a bunch, although eventually reality overtakes everything.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #15

Right now I am 82. When DW and I were married 13 years ago, it was definitely the go-go years. In 10 years we took 16 cruises, 48 trips and 500 travel days.
The past few years have been the slow-go years, with one cruise or trip a year.
After 45 years of flying, I hung up my wings last year after my copilot was grounded, and DW did not want me flying alone.
I am still working on the switch engine, and volunteering at a hospice.
Obviously Covid has put a crimp in everyone's plans, including ours, making it the no-go year.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
He could do things, but he’s convinced himself he can’t, and maybe he just doesn’t want to do much.
All other things being semi equal this, IMHO, is a major factor......you have to want to do stuff...keep moving, stay in some kind of shape, etc.

If someone just wants to eat, drink, and sit on their ass, then any (otherwise avoidable) deterioration will be accelerated.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Both in our late 60’s and in relatively good health. Covid has changed our life for the time being.

We plan to travel more than ever post Covid. Makes us realize how little time we have left and how thankful we should be for good health.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Both in our late 60’s and in relatively good health. Covid has changed our life for the time being.

We plan to travel more than ever post Covid. Makes us realize how little time we have left and how thankful we should be for good health.
DW turned 68 last month, currently, (as well as walking, etc), she swims 1 km three times a week, (next week she's upping it to four times).

I turned 78 this past September....the upcoming hip replacement will put a (hopefully temporary) dent in my activities.......so.....if I'm still around, (and mobile) next Fall, and if Covid allows us to travel then we'll go for it.

Lots left to see!

Old 11-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I just turned 77. I am active as ever, especially with two new hips! My knees are great! Maybe all those years as a long distance runner have kept me young? (something wore the hips out though! Maybe baseball?)

I'm out the door at 7:00 am daily, play golf twice a week, cut my grass, still maintain my cars (and have totally restored a couple of classics over the last 5 years). I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps per day, or more sometimes.

DW has problems at 75 with advanced COPD, osteoporosis, and a few other things. She's clearly not that active anymore.

But we make it work.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #20

I turned 75 earlier this year (May). I also stopped going to the gym in March because of COVID. I also stopped tutoring then as the library (tutoring site) closed. Obviously, travel has been restricted. (I’m sure we would have gone to Europe or on a cruise this fall were it not for travel restrictions.) I’ve also been dealing with a nagging rotator cuff problem which has somewhat restricted certain activities.

So, I’d have to say 75 is the age at which I’ve begun to taper back a bit. Whether it’s hitting that age, the COVID lifestyle changes or a all of the above, I can’t really say.

Even though I don’t go to the gym, any more I have a fairly vigorous home exercise program that I’ve stuck to faithfully since March. I’m currently studying for my AARP Tax Aide volunteer certification so I can have a volunteer activity that I can largely do from home during the winter. Time will tell what happens with travel once restrictions are lifted and we are vaccinated.

I would characterize myself as being at the tail end of “go-go” or in the early stages of “slow-go”.